Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Mounting Depth for Rear Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 01:10 PM
meilleur24
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting Depth for Rear Speakers?

AS title says....and Yes I Searched but did not come up with anything...I have '05 Roadster....I'm looking to add a little thump in the back...nothing too crazy...and thought why not go with a 6.5 Inch Sub

My options....Just need to know if they'll fit.

http://www.kicker.com/06/kicker_home.html

The Comp VT 6.5 Shallow Sub or

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=29

JL 6W3v3

Thanks
Old 03-29-2008, 05:36 PM
sintaxeror

Check out the eD 7kv.2 also...
Old 03-30-2008, 06:43 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

leave the ? alone and do use rear fill just drop that bread into another area
Old 03-31-2008, 04:23 AM
Snowhiteboiler

I put the EDesign 7K v2s back there with little modification. If you search, I imagine you can find a thread on it (I just did it over christmas).

There is plenty of mounting depth in these spaces - the problem is the basket clearance. It took a couple of hours with a roto grinder thingy (that's the technical term) to open the cut-outs a little bit but otherwise, there was plenty of depth.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:56 AM
StreetOC192

Having a roadster I can understand your want to install 7" woofers behind the seats. I would rather see you install a proper sub/enclosure/amp in the trunk. But if you need to keep all of your trunk space and this is your only option, I would take a very serious look at the CSS SDX7:

Review:
http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/890...r-the-extremis

Purchase:
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=SDX7
Old 04-01-2008, 04:15 PM
meilleur24
Banned

Originally Posted by Snowhiteboiler
I put the EDesign 7K v2s back there with little modification. If you search, I imagine you can find a thread on it (I just did it over christmas).

There is plenty of mounting depth in these spaces - the problem is the basket clearance. It took a couple of hours with a roto grinder thingy (that's the technical term) to open the cut-outs a little bit but otherwise, there was plenty of depth.

After all the Grinding using your Roto Grinder Thingy....and installing the ED's was it worth it?...Decent thump?....I don't need crazy Bass....just enough to feel it.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:56 AM
Snowhiteboiler

I feel like it was worth it. It has definitely added lows that you can feel (not ground pounding but they are noticeable) and fills in well below where my components are crossed over at. I know in my post Bing said that they aren't being used to their potential because of the planes (or something like that) but honestly, for what it is, what I paid, and what I wanted, it has worked perfectly.

And, if we were using a plug in grinder vs. a rechargeable, we would have been done much quicker... Just make sure that you seal the compartments up really good and you should be set.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:02 AM
aequitasveritas

any one done the JL 6w3v3's there yet?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Paint It Black

Default JL Audio 6W3v3-4

I just ordered two of the Jl Audio 6W3v3-4 subs for my nismo, I decided that if I had the money to go ridiculous and take up all the premium trunk space, I could have gone with a heavy ground thumping sub enclosure, I guess I'm getting older and just want a very balanced system without drawing attention.
I'm putting on a Sony XAV head unit, a pair of infinity 6030cs up front and driving it all with a JL 360/4 amp. I downloaded the specs for the subs and measured the holes where the junk stock speakers are, the subs will fit.I ordered the JL Grilles to make it look clean and protect them. If you measure the enclosures and compare your results to the spec sheet for a closed box enclosure you'll find it comes just under the recommended cubic inches. Since the plastic molding that goes back over the rear deck is offset by .70 inches I'm going to make a spacer, this will bring me even closer to the target cu/inch recommendation. I'm sure there's other threads on this , but I'm using the peal and stick aluminum backed flashing from Lowe's, people can say what they want, but they can also go and pay a premium for the blue writing and name that comes with the price of dynamat, I've used both, and can't see the extra burn in my wallet. Anyways, this will close up all the holes and dampen the sound of the metal enclosure, if you tap on it before and after you will definitely hear the difference. Like I said earlier, I'm not going for the "step outside of the car to hear yourself think" effect, just good clear well produced full range sound while reducing the brash road noise. Wish me luck, I'll post pics when I'm done.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Paint It Black

Default Finished

I finished my install last week, It turned out better than I thought it would
even though I ran into some challenges along the way. 1st challenge was when I realized that when using the factory front speakers as spacers, my speakers would end up hitting the factory speaker grills when being played. I remedied this by drilling three more holes after shifting the speaker's more to the front of the vehicle, this did give the woofer's more space to extend. the 2nd challenge was when I installed the 6 inch subs, before refitting the speakers grill assembly over the subs,everything looked great, perfect fit-no problems, but then after covering them with the plastic housing that covers the center pillar, I found out that Nissan didn't put the grills on center with the speaker holes in the chassis. Why is this? Don't they know that people may change the factory crap speakers out? When I played the stereo without the grill's, they did indeed hit the housing. To remedy this, with hesitation, I marked where the sub surround lined up with the plastic plastic housing, and then with a utility knife carefully cut out the remainder for the offset hole. If done carefully, it does not interfere with the stock grills being replaced and you can't see a modification after the fact.
Final thought's:
For what it is, I love the way the stereo turned out, it has full range and is loud enough that you want to turn it down after a while. The subs work well in the location behind the seats and allow you to retain the stock appearance and little storage that comes with the car. I know the bass isn't show stopping crazy, but compared to the factory radio and speakers that came with the car, it's leaps and bounds ahead.
Rating:
Overall sound 8 out of 10 ( Just because I know the bass could be better)
Appearance 10 (this being purely subjective also, but if you want a clean factory look, this definitely works)