Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Alarm System Recommendation, Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:22 AM
Kelson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Alarm System Recommendation, Please

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a reasonably-priced alarm system for my new Z that does 2 things:

1. Be as loud and flashy as possible when set off so it is as much of a deterant as any alarm can be (yeah, I know - alarms aren't always great for detering most thieves). Anything that draws attention (especially via any added illumination) is a good thing. I generally park in well-lit areas, but that isn't always an option and doesn't always keep thieves from trying.

2. Provide remote dialing to my cell phone to let me know the alarm has been triggered.

I plan on getting a Ravelco system installed, so the alarm isn't really for prevention of vehicle theft. It's more to protect the nav system and such, and make it less appealing to spend the time necessary to TRY to steal the car or the nav system, etc.

I've read here in the forums that adding a battery backup and second internal siren can also help deter theft.

Any suggestions you have would be most appreciated.

This is all in regards to a new 2007 Roadster.

Thanks!
Kelson
Old 03-31-2008, 08:56 AM
Ichigo

Sounds like you need a two way sytem with a pager.

I like Autopage and I am getting an RS-1000 installed in my Z
Old 03-31-2008, 10:43 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

i was also thinking of getting the rs-1000, let me know what you think
Old 03-31-2008, 10:48 PM
lionheartednyhc

CompuStar Pro P2W9000FMR ftw. I love it.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:10 AM
Kelson

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I'm noticing that you've recommended some alarm systems with 2-way pagers. Do you know of any that use auto dialing that I can have call my cell phone instead of using a pager that has limited range and is bulky to carry around?

I've read about these, but am having difficulty finding any reliable ones.

Thanks!
Kelson
Old 04-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Kelson

Ok it looks like there aren't any with auto dialers available in the US.

So, which alarms with pagers have the longest range and good reliability? I can't seem to find range information on any of the name brand websites.

Thanks!
Kelson
Old 04-04-2008, 11:45 AM
dudegetalife

Just buy a viper 5900 i'm never in a range where the keypad doesnt work it works 2 blocks away, it can beep or vibrate and won't stop till you stop it.

Oh and get motion sensors since it's a convertable, never putting the top up again in dfw :-)
Old 04-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Kelson

Originally Posted by dudegetalife
Just buy a viper 5900 i'm never in a range where the keypad doesnt work it works 2 blocks away, it can beep or vibrate and won't stop till you stop it.

Oh and get motion sensors since it's a convertable, never putting the top up again in dfw :-)
Haha I know - it's so tempting to leave the top down many times. But I'm soooo afraid to do that most of the time, unless it's just for a few minutes.

2 blocks seems so....limited. I mean, heck, if I go to a club, the valet can park it further away than that on a busy night. I definitely want more range than that. The ability to have the pager keep going off until I stop it is nice, though.

I plan on getting a microwave sensor (I'm guessing this is the same as the motion sensor you mentioned) so I can leave the top down without as much worry. I also want to make sure I have a tilt sensor in case someone tries to use a tow truck to take my Z. Finally, I want to get a 2nd siren on a battery backup so it won't shut off if they snip the wires on the primary bettery or siren.

Between that system and a Ravelco, I'll feel pretty secure. Nothing's foolproof, but I think it's worth the investment.

Thanks!
Kelson
Old 04-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Shyn

DEI Python 990 has a one mile range. Easy to install, easy to program.

-Remote start

-Security

-2 way pager

-Awesome range

-Loud and flashy

Ive installed them many times and i have nothing but good things to say about any Directed Electronic alarm/rem start
Old 04-04-2008, 05:56 PM
lionheartednyhc

farthest your going to find is one mile..and even then its really more like 3/4 of a mile (building and stuff). Microwave is a better choice for a convertible.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Al Kapwned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just go with the Viper 5900 or any other rebranded DEI product that is equivalent to the 5900. It is pretty much the best alarm/remote start on the market right now.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:07 PM
mikez97

the new compustar pro has my vote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:44 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had been looking at the CompuStar Pro P2W9000FMR, glad to see some members are saying good things about this product. I will keep doing research before dropping some $$$$$
Old 07-08-2008, 11:22 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelson
Haha I know - it's so tempting to leave the top down many times. But I'm soooo afraid to do that most of the time, unless it's just for a few minutes.

2 blocks seems so....limited. I mean, heck, if I go to a club, the valet can park it further away than that on a busy night. I definitely want more range than that. The ability to have the pager keep going off until I stop it is nice, though.

I plan on getting a microwave sensor (I'm guessing this is the same as the motion sensor you mentioned) so I can leave the top down without as much worry. I also want to make sure I have a tilt sensor in case someone tries to use a tow truck to take my Z. Finally, I want to get a 2nd siren on a battery backup so it won't shut off if they snip the wires on the primary bettery or siren.

Between that system and a Ravelco, I'll feel pretty secure. Nothing's foolproof, but I think it's worth the investment.

Thanks!
Kelson
what did you end up getting??

as for Ravelco, its not a bad idea........i actually think its great for someone not being able to steel your car....but for 399 installed i would rather go to radio shack and buy a blank D9 connector and install one myself.

would be really easy to do. just do like they say. use same color wiring and run the wires through out the dash and to a bunch of different systems. fuel pump, starter, etc. use relays etc.

then i would just make the mating piece with another D9 connector and solder in some very short wires, etc.

- J
Attached Thumbnails Alarm System Recommendation, Please-img_3006.jpg  
Old 07-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've had a bunch of alarms.. viper 7900- newest viper model=suck
new compustar sucked ballz and I finally got the viper 5900. DO NOT buy alarms from ebay!!
Old 07-08-2008, 07:20 PM
cbr900son

Originally Posted by dudegetalife

+1 i have the same. ! mile range is nice and it can replace ur little unlock/lock thingy since it does that and more.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Doh-Joe

Originally Posted by Shyn
DEI Python 990 has a one mile range. Easy to install, easy to program.

-Remote start

-Security

-2 way pager

-Awesome range

-Loud and flashy

Ive installed them many times and i have nothing but good things to say about any Directed Electronic alarm/rem start
This one sounds most promising from my POV. Any other recommendations?
Old 07-08-2008, 08:04 PM
B5I8

I have a Viper 5900 and I love it. Just so you know, the Viper 5900, Clifford Matrix 50.5X, and Python 990 are all the same alarm made by DEI.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:46 AM
sintaxeror

I want to get a viper 5701 for the simpler remote... i just need to find a good installer locally.
Anyone know a good way of going out about it? I want someone who is reputable, but at the same time shady enough to do a good job hiding and wrapping the wires, and also someone who will wire my remote start without one of the manual transmission add-ons so that I don't have to go though 16 ridiculous steps to enable every time i want to remote start.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:21 AM
cbr900son

Originally Posted by sintaxeror
I want to get a viper 5701 for the simpler remote... i just need to find a good installer locally.
Anyone know a good way of going out about it? I want someone who is reputable, but at the same time shady enough to do a good job hiding and wrapping the wires, and also someone who will wire my remote start without one of the manual transmission add-ons so that I don't have to go though 16 ridiculous steps to enable every time i want to remote start.
I had a buddy who owned a shop nearby - well a hr or 2 away. Maybe check with other FL owners and see who they trust or have used. As for remote start i decided to get it on mine for AC plus i park in neutral with parking brake 99.99% of the time and ill i have to fo with the viper 5900 is hit one button twice with a 1 sec pause in between.

Quick Reply: Alarm System Recommendation, Please