Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

IVA-W200/205 & PXA-H701 Users

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 06:21 PM
QdotJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up IVA-W200/205 & PXA-H701 Users

So I just installed these two items in my Z this weekend and have been playing with the settings. Can someone who owns this combo offer me a good starting point for both the parametric and graphical equalizers? (numbers, etc.)

System:

Head unit - Alpine IVA-W205
Processor - Alpine PXA-H701
Amp - Alpine PDX-4.150
(Gains set to "normal" - Crossovers both at 80hz) (Rear is bridged for subwoofer)
Speakers - Morel Dotech MKII - 6.5" Two-Way Component set
(Midrange installed in door pods, tweeters in kicks with crossovers set at +3db)
Subwoofer - Seas Lotus 10" (Zenclosures Box...)

Any assistance would be appreciated. I listen to a variety of music and attempted to tune it by listening to a bit of Sade.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:35 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

There is no "starting point" for an equalizer. Set everything flat and tweek the sound to your preference. Otherwise, find someone local (Like Eng- Dual700 from DIY) to tune your car. But, of course, that would be tuned to his ear.

Keep in mind, it's better to "cut" than it is to "boost".

In my car, some songs sound great and some need tweaking, so essentially I would need different curves for each type of music.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:06 AM
QdotJ

Originally Posted by DVFlyer
There is no "starting point" for an equalizer. Set everything flat and tweek the sound to your preference. Otherwise, find someone local (Like Eng- Dual700 from DIY) to tune your car. But, of course, that would be tuned to his ear.

Keep in mind, it's better to "cut" than it is to "boost".

In my car, some songs sound great and some need tweaking, so essentially I would need different curves for each type of music.
Thank you... I worked with the time correction to get my sound right in the middle of the dash. I'm happy with that thus far. I leveled off my EQ last night and it does sound "clean" - Now I'm considering getting a set of Audionutz tuning discs.

DV, next time Kwame's in town, I may shoot down to SD and see you guys...
Old 04-07-2008, 08:27 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

Cool. Do you know Kwame?
Old 04-07-2008, 08:43 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since you are in LA, you should hook up with some local SQ people to tuen your car, my freind Eng is a good candidate, seasoned SQ competitor and just a great guy overall.

if you want, i can sed oyu over his info

b
Old 04-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Renfri

I agree with DVFlyer. Turn the gains on all channels to 0dB and all time alingment to 0 ms and start from there.

Also, the H701s seem to create a little noise with just about every system I have heard. If you go into the, DVD settings I believe, you can turn down the PCM level (I think its PCM). This should cut down on noise if you have any. I have mine turned all the way down.

I wouldn't really mess with the GEQ or the PEQ until after you are pretty much set with gains and time alignment. The only PEQ setting I have is: boosted my sub at 28Hz +2dB
Old 04-07-2008, 09:13 AM
QdotJ

Cool. Do you know Kwame?
Yep, we speak daily... good friend and colleague.

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
since you are in LA, you should hook up with some local SQ people to tuen your car, my freind Eng is a good candidate, seasoned SQ competitor and just a great guy overall.

b
Now that's funny, I actually bought my Seas Lotus from Eng... I have his info stored in my phone...

Originally Posted by Renfri
I agree with DVFlyer. Turn the gains on all channels to 0dB and all time alingment to 0 ms and start from there.

Also, the H701s seem to create a little noise with just about every system I have heard. If you go into the, DVD settings I believe, you can turn down the PCM level (I think its PCM). This should cut down on noise if you have any. I have mine turned all the way down.

I wouldn't really mess with the GEQ or the PEQ until after you are pretty much set with gains and time alignment. The only PEQ setting I have is: boosted my sub at 28Hz +2dB
I actually did that last night and enjoyed the sound throughly. I'll look into working with the PEQ settings during lunch. I have everything set at 0 all around

Time alignment is perfect, feels like the music is coming from the center of the dash near the nav system. 0.90 on the left and 0 on the right. I used Alpine's web-tool and measure the distance (50" left - 62" right)

I like the "crisp" tweeter sound, but not "too bright"... I just want to know that they are there and working. Maybe before year's end I'll upgrade my Morels to either the Supremo's or Elates or Ovation's. Man this car is a money pit, but I love it !

Should I pick up an Audionutz test disc and play with things?

Thanks everyone... Do my XO points on the amp seem right? 80hz...?

Last edited by QdotJ; 04-07-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:11 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

Audionutz CD's are good. They are simply CD's recorded at a high level. I don't have any CD's from him that have things like "Center channel Test" etc, but those can be downloaded from iTunes. Look for Sheffield A2TB.

We'll definitely all get together if Kwame comes to town.

80hz is probably fine. Easy enough to play with.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:34 AM
james840a

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 16psibrick

b
Have to agree with you. Find a local SQ person that has a RTA to help get your system tuned. I have the
Head unit - Alpine IVA-W205
Processor - Alpine PXA-H701
Plus a PAII RTA handheld unit to help me tune mine
Old 04-07-2008, 11:32 AM
QdotJ

Audionutz CD's are good. They are simply CD's recorded at a high level. I don't have any CD's from him that have things like "Center channel Test" etc, but those can be downloaded from iTunes. Look for Sheffield A2TB.

We'll definitely all get together if Kwame comes to town.

80hz is probably fine. Easy enough to play with.
I believe the H701 has the pink-noise speaker test built in. I'm not terribly worried about that though. I guess I'll get my system tuned around the same time I get my engine tuned @ Technosquare... (Keeping tunnin in-tune...)