Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

I am worried about someone stealing my Avic D3

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 08:31 PM
iMikie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am worried about someone stealing my Avic D3

ok so I have the Avic D3, and the ipod adapter ready to be installed in the morning. The unit only cost me $520 brand new, and with install, a total of about $750 including everything! However, I am sooooo worried about my car getting broke into. I keep it in a garage that has the baddest alarm system you could imagine. But what about those times I'm at the movies, shopping, out with the g/f, etc.?

Should I keep this in the box and get a farenheit, external nav and dvd, and call it a day?

HURRY! This is going to be installed in the morning!

would I save any money going the farenheit/external components. That way, my 03 cubby door will hide it. Hmmm... SOB, maybe I should just keep the D3, b/c of the exceptional deal I got on it? I saw the price and pulled the trigger. I hope I am making the right decision.

location is Chi-town so you could imagine how much crime I have here...
Old 04-17-2008, 08:33 PM
atomicgoofball
defies gravity

id say keep it, and make sure u register the new head unit with ur insurance company just in case. Keep the receipt! someone jacks it, u will be covered, and im sure with a badass system you will be ok. Take pics!
Old 04-17-2008, 08:46 PM
iMikie

Originally Posted by atomicgoofball
id say keep it, and make sure u register the new head unit with ur insurance company just in case. Keep the receipt! someone jacks it, u will be covered, and im sure with a badass system you will be ok. Take pics!
really? I didn't know that. Will my insurance go up or any surprises if it does get stolen?

thanks

and just pricing around for external dvd/navi units is giving me a headache. Too much $ also. Looks like I'll be running a new unit in the morning. Maybe I'm just having buyer's remorse? I don't like spending so much $ on these kind of things.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:48 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't worry, if a thief tries to steal the d3, chances are he's going to tear your dash apart in the process, so the radio will be the least of your worries.

If you want real peace of mind, you can always invest in a false front face from the OEM unit to fit onto the front of the d3 to disguise it when you're away from the car.

The d3 is one of the best units for the money. I'd say to stick with it.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Clamps

This may be a dumb question, but I am goign to get the D3 next month, and have the same concerns. Where can I get this false front?
Old 04-17-2008, 08:56 PM
iMikie

Originally Posted by Clamps
This may be a dumb question, but I am goign to get the D3 next month, and have the same concerns. Where can I get this false front?
I think people usually "hack" up the stock bose headunit. I would love this option, but what if I ever go to sell the car or? The place I'm having install it can do anything you can imagine so maybe they have some options. Oh, and they are reasonable so far.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:57 PM
iMikie

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
Don't worry, if a thief tries to steal the d3, chances are he's going to tear your dash apart in the process, so the radio will be the least of your worries.

If you want real peace of mind, you can always invest in a false front face from the OEM unit to fit onto the front of the d3 to disguise it when you're away from the car.

The d3 is one of the best units for the money. I'd say to stick with it.
good point. That is exactly what I am worried about. Glass all broken into, dash ****ed, and d3 gone. But I guess the car could be broken into as is. I have had a terrible history of vandalism in a nice neighborhood in Chicago. Things are quiet now, but you should see what they did to my neighbors brand new Ferrari! all keyed!

Next block over, guy's brand new Zo6 baseball bats to the entire car.

Across the street, blue BMW covered in yellow paint! you name it...I don't even want to get into what punks have done to my familys' cars.

Houses get robbed over all the time too. I swear, I cruise the South Side of Chicago and have to go through some hoods and have better f'in results.

Last edited by iMikie; 04-17-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Clamps

Damn, I don't want to destroy the stock unit either...let me know what you end up doing, hopefully an awesome car alarm should be enough.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:01 PM
LaoSiFu

buy my stock for $40

~Robert
Old 04-17-2008, 09:05 PM
iMikie

Originally Posted by LaoSiFu
buy my stock for $40

~Robert
is that what the going rate is for em? Hell, I might just hack it up then! but I will def. save your name on here and will contact you asap if I need it. thanks!
Old 04-17-2008, 09:07 PM
iMikie

Originally Posted by Clamps
Damn, I don't want to destroy the stock unit either...let me know what you end up doing, hopefully an awesome car alarm should be enough.
I don't think so honestly. Even if theives aren't successful at getting in, they are going to tear things up. And what are you going to do, rush to your car? People are crazy and can kill you. My first reaction would be to run towards the car with all that adrenaline built up, but I have too much to lose than say...the thief or junky.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:07 PM
LaoSiFu

Originally Posted by mikie92102
is that what the going rate is for em? Hell, I might just hack it up then! but I will def. save your name on here and will contact you asap if I need it. thanks!
I have seen them roughly around my price range. FYI its an 03 non bose. Doesn't really matter if you're going to hack it up anyway.

~Robert
Old 04-17-2008, 11:19 PM
GSX-R350Z

I just ordered a D3 also, and I'm going to install a compustar alarm once I find a good dealer/installer. I say that's about the best thing you can do. If a thief wants something he'll get it, there's no stopping him really.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:39 AM
Clamps

True that. Crime makes ya dumb.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:33 AM
iMikie

ok everyone, I just had everything installed! And I did something a little different to mount the ipod. Pics later tonight or first thing tomm. morning. I am exhausted to play with the new toy, but I'll let you know what I think soon. Love the navi so far! I can already tell that this thing has more features than I'll ever need in a car.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Theft of your H/U is really ugly:
  • The thief looks at the car’s interior, sees your Pioneer AVIC, and decides to strike.
  • He uses a cat’s paw or crowbar to break the driver or passenger window to gain access without triggering the alarm.
  • Since the glass falls on the seat, he throws a towel or cloth down, and then crawls (like the snake he is) through the broken window and into your car. The broken glass damages your seat’s fabric, but of course it gets a lot worse.
  • He uses his cat’s paw or crowbar to pull apart the center console and gain access to the H/U mounting points.
  • Then he aggressively pulls the H/U and wrecks the wiring-attachments in your car, and a lot more
It might seem attractive to catch one of these SOB’s in the act, but that probably would end up poorly. The thief is a junkie stealing your stuff for minor drug money. If he panics, you could end up really hurting him if you try restraining him. If you become angry and beat him, you’re even in more trouble.

--Spike
Old 04-18-2008, 04:13 PM
GSX-R350Z

^ +1

Not worth it. If you can't stop him before he touches your car don't even try.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Mikey-Z

Originally Posted by GSX-R350Z
^ +1

Not worth it. If you can't stop him before he touches your car don't even try.
people should really be allowed to go all american history x on thieves who break into their cars.

=P
Old 04-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Asian Invasian

Originally Posted by Mikey-Z
people should really be allowed to go all american history x on thieves who break into their cars.

=P
Seriously, I would be pissed seeing something like that. I would get a 2 way alarm that pages you when it goes off, this way you can catch the SOB.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:05 AM
GSX-R350Z

I would want to taser the guy just for the hell of it. Haha...

Quick Reply: I am worried about someone stealing my Avic D3