Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Only upgrading the speakers??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:57 AM
StreetOC192

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
Thanks for kind words. I will take this opportunity to say that I have learned a lot from your informative posts.
I do try. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by tianyu82
Again, Thank you so much !! Professor Spike! Just being curious , what kind of audio setup do you have for you Z, Spike?
My A/V Equipment and Configuration (and it certainly is compromised… more about that later):
  • Clarion DXZ745MP H/U with a Sirius satellite radio receiver (swapped-out the OEM Clarion H/U for a Clarion single-din H/U mounted in the double-din slot using a Metra single-din with bezel and lower shelf.)
  • Eclipse 4 Channel Amp Model EA3422 (mounted in the large space behind the driver's seat)
  • Focal 165 V Slim component speakers in the stock door mount (tweeters mounted in the A-Pillars)
  • Infinity coaxial speakers in the rear speaker space (probably didn’t need these but wanted to hear the “radio” while listening to navigation voice commands)
  • Garmin GVN52 Navigation Box (mounted in the small/rear cubby space behind the driver’s seat)
  • Power Acoustik PT-700MHR LCD 7” Monitor in the upper/forward cubby space (to display navigation from the Garmin GVN52)
  • PAC Audio Source Switcher (mutes radio when sending navigation voice commands to the front speakers)

Here is a picture of my dash:

Please excuse the awful and harsh flash. I took this picture at night. After sunset, the Garmin GVN52 automatically inverts light to black background to reduce glare inside the car’s interior (that’s why you see the black background in my picture of the navigation screen).

Discussion:
  • My devices certainly could be considered somewhat “old.” My Clarion DXZ745MP H/U is 3 years old and is discontinued, and Focal is replacing the speakers I have now (but I doubt there is much difference with the new Focals). The Garmin GVN 52 is now replaced by the Garmin GVN 53.
  • The PAC Audio Source Switcher is an add-on only to support the lack of a mute switch on the Clarion DXZ745MP H/U. I needed a mute function so that I could broadcast the Garmin GVN52’s voice guidance through my car’s speakers. Newer H/U’s support the mute feature and make the PAC add-on unnecessary.
  • I mounted my Focals (and why I went with the Focal Slims) in the stock door location, but this is a weak location (kicks or door-pods provide better sound). I didn’t do kicks (best) or door pods (better) because I wanted to preserve my dead-pedal foot-rest (where the kicks would be) and didn’t want to constantly scrape door pods when entering/leaving the car.
  • My A-Pillar tweeter mount works well for me, but there are some discussions here where other members disagree with using this mounting-location for tweeters.
  • I do not have a SubW. This is certainly a glaring deficiency. The only reason I do not have a SubW is that I cannot find room in the Z. I’m a golfer and need every square-inch in my coupes rear space for two golf bags and a couple of duffels. I tried the stock Bose SubW mount behind the driver’s seat, and it doesn’t sound right at all. The Focals provide very good bass, and that is why I spent more $$ on the front components.

--Spike