Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Kenwood DNX7100 vs. Alpine IVA-W505

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:13 AM
hulikner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kenwood DNX7100 vs. Alpine IVA-W505

I need help deciding which one to get. I really like how the Kenwood has the navigation built into it but I have read many reviews talking about how hard it is to go through the different controls on it. Alpine, have to buy a blackbird for navigation but I have always liked how clear and crisp the sound is from a Alpine, I have not heard anything else like it. But is it worth it??

Alpine:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-48GO3Gr...x?i=500IVAW505

Kenwood:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...&i=613DNX7100\

I have found the Alpine for 850 new and a guy is selling the kenwood for 750 used. Best I have found so far so input please... thanks.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:47 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dnx7100 > Iva-w505
Old 05-21-2008, 09:52 AM
hulikner

Possibly give and reasons as to why please sir? Thanks
Old 05-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

That’s a difficult choice since both are superior units. You won’t regret buying either device so this is a “no-failure/disappointment” decision. Of course you can torture yourself with second-guessing after the purchase.

At the pricing you describe, the Kenwood unit (in your case) is a better value since you get navigation without paying extra. As you stated, navigation for the Alpine unit requires purchasing the Blackbird II.

Here are some additional thoughts (and of course, very arguable)
  • Alpine LCD screens are razor sharp and have exceptional touch-screen function. Anyone who has operated an Alpine touch-screen knows what I describe. But, that is not to say Kenwood’s touch-screens are deficient. In fact Kenwood provides a great touch-screen as well. I’m just saying that Alpine has a very slight edge (some would say it’s an insignificant difference).

• I’ve read messages here that complain about Kenwood’s application software that some describe as confusing, but I disagree. Kenwood’s application/operation software provides a very feature-rich and scalable interface. Competing devices often seem more intuitive when you first operate the unit, but after using the devices for a short period, you begin to appreciate the extra features Kenwood incorporates into the application software (i.e., its “operating system”). Kenwood’s KOS system goes beyond this discussion, but I mention this because it shows the scalable feature in Kenwood’s application software. Kenwood creates devices that are meant for adding addition features and components by simply updating the software. That’s a significant advantage for Kenwood.

• If navigation is an important aspect of your decision, then the choice is simple: Buy the Kenwood device. I’ve had the opportunity to run most of the popular brands, and Kenwood’s navigation is better by a wide margin (faster and better software).

--Spike
Old 05-21-2008, 07:18 PM
hulikner

Great information appreciate it a lot Spike.