Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Can you install a 10" sub behind driver w/o a box?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 08:14 AM
350Z-RED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first you have to take out the entire rear compartment in order to fit the box, also thier are 2 metal brackets about 2" long on the top of the compartment which have to be cut or bent in order to fit the box
here are a couple of pics
Attached Thumbnails Can you install a 10" sub behind driver w/o a box?-audio_install-1.jpg  
Old 08-04-2003, 08:19 AM
350Z-RED

the bottom of the box is slopped, as well as the sides of the box
Attached Thumbnails Can you install a 10" sub behind driver w/o a box?-audio_install-2.jpg  
Old 08-06-2003, 09:21 PM
supra crazy

when you have a box do u fill it with any thing?
Old 08-10-2003, 11:26 AM
garygearlds

could you give the specs. of the box? did you have to cut any metal or plastic? the box looks pretty deep did the inner fender well cause any prob?
Old 08-10-2003, 11:29 AM
garygearlds

do you have any vibration now?
Old 08-12-2003, 06:47 PM
ZManInNY

Did ANYONE get the specs of this sub box from 350Z-RED??????? I've been trying to get them for like 3 weeks and he's not answering PM's anymore! HELP! This is driving me crazy!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2003, 02:54 PM
FBlade1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Blue Liquid
Taya, you put a free-air sub back there and it sounded horrible? What do you mean by horrible? Was it simply not loud enough or did you notice virbations or garbled sounds? i dont have the patience or desire to build a box, so I just want to put a free-air sub back there, screw it in and enjoy my music.
I put two free airs in the back. It deffiniatly produced base but it just didn't hit the way it should have. I have just changed over to one sub in an enclosure. It sounds awesome now!
Old 08-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Taya

FBlade1 - I found the same results and you report, I made an enclosure which is 18X14.5X6.5 (externaly) and barely fit it in the stock location, the box is made of 3/4" so the Int size is smaller than the requested 0.75 for my sub... The sound is good, but it would have been much better for the enclosure to be placed in the hatch area... I simply wanted to keep a clean stock look, just added the Bose plastic cover... By the way, I managed to close on the box with the metal plate which seriuosly holds the box in place...
Old 08-25-2003, 04:58 AM
350Z-RED

SRY for the late reply, just got back from a 2 week vacation yesterday. i placed a call to my installer a couple of days before i left, i will call him today to see if he got the specs. I don't have any vibration problems coming from the box, and the box is not filled with anything. there was a problem with an inner metal bracket than needed to be bent out of the way in order to fit the box properly, that was the only problem with the fit...

will post ASAP with the specs
Old 10-18-2003, 03:56 PM
Import-Tooner

I diagram or something would be great. There isn't any good installers here so I might just built the box my self. I'm just wondering if there is any way to keep it in place. Or, does it pretty much just stay where you want it to be? Cuase that would suck if it was sliding around and stuff.

Supra Crazy: Some people add cotton to the inside of their box. I my self haven't ever done this but I have been told that it makes less air space and I've also been told the opposite, that it adds air space. Other than that, fiberglass resin and silicone are sometimes added to make the seal better.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:35 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

goto walmart and buy some poly-fill, I think one bag is like $2.99 or something.. stuff the poly-fill in the sub-box until it's 70% full, that's it! it makes a world of difference!
Old 10-18-2003, 08:49 PM
A_FIVE-O's_350Z

Apexi350Z aka Howard,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make my fiberglass box. I'll shack out the money for parts.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:55 PM
350trackz

you can also dynamat the crud out of it as i did and separate the two compartments. that is one of the biggest problems...that is one big compartment, not 2. The other big problem is holes are everywhere !!! See my pic below of my install. I run what is in my sig and it thumps pretty hard !!! enough to turn the sub gain down and the eq bass down !!!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Can you install a 10" sub behind driver w/o a box?-dsc00037.jpg  
Old 10-18-2003, 10:58 PM
350trackz

and i used 10oz of polyfill in each enclosure (1/2 bag each) and finished off nicely ....
Attached Thumbnails Can you install a 10" sub behind driver w/o a box?-dsc00036.jpg  
Old 10-19-2003, 06:46 AM
wakaZ

Originally posted by 350Z-RED
the box was the exact measurements of the plastic sleeve in the glove box
Did anyone try a fiberglass overlay (mold) out of the glove box to make a box?
Old 10-19-2003, 07:45 PM
350trackz

glove boxis WAAAAAAY smaller than the opening behind the seats and if you look the back of the glove box, you will see it mounts to 2 screws than mount to a bracket. Also, because of the angle of the panel, you might be able to get an 8" in there, a 10's magnet would just be too big. You would need to glass the entire enclosure, not just the glovebox. My local shop said they cut me a deal at $1200 to glass the entire opening.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:26 AM
wakaZ

Originally posted by 350trackz
glove boxis WAAAAAAY smaller than the opening behind the seats and if you look the back of the glove box, you will see it mounts to 2 screws than mount to a bracket. Also, because of the angle of the panel, you might be able to get an 8" in there, a 10's magnet would just be too big. You would need to glass the entire enclosure, not just the glovebox. My local shop said they cut me a deal at $1200 to glass the entire opening.
Well, kinda ment that if you had a partial "mold" of the glove box section then add-on whatever additional space behind it to get the correct volume. Instead of glassing the whole area. 1200...wow! Does seem like a lot of work tho.

Was just a thought
Old 10-20-2003, 07:26 AM
G}{H

Originally posted by 03 Z for ME
If you search hard, you can still find a QUALITY Free Air Sub from JL Audio. It's the 10IB4. It's a nice sub that will run at 100 watts RMS. I installed it and spent $7.00 for the Sub cover from my dealer. I'll admit that it doesn't supply the ground shaking, vibrate every screw loose from you car kind of bass, but with that sub, and a set of Infinity Kappa components up front running off the amp at 50 watts RMS for the components, 100 watts for the sub, and a set of Infinity KAppa 63.5 3 ways for fill (running off the 18watt RMS Clarion Pro head unit) the system is AWESOME compared to stock.

Be warned, this sub was discontinued, but the authorized dealers should still be able to get some. I paid $99.00 for mine (but I am good friends with the store manager)

I did the same thing, but I used dynamat to fill the entire compartment. I also used dynamat to cover the metal plate. Same sub JL sub too for $99
Old 11-07-2003, 06:43 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Specs

Did you ever post the specs or plans for this box?

If not, is there still a chance you might?

I really like the box and I think I would like to build one.

Originally posted by 350Z-RED
SRY for the late reply, just got back from a 2 week vacation yesterday. i placed a call to my installer a couple of days before i left, i will call him today to see if he got the specs. I don't have any vibration problems coming from the box, and the box is not filled with anything. there was a problem with an inner metal bracket than needed to be bent out of the way in order to fit the box properly, that was the only problem with the fit...

will post ASAP with the specs
Old 11-09-2003, 04:24 PM
ZManInNY

Default Re: Specs

Originally posted by AndyB
Did you ever post the specs or plans for this box?

If not, is there still a chance you might?

I really like the box and I think I would like to build one.
I will answer for 350Z-RED since I hounded him for those specs months ago. He had a guy professionally build him that box and since it was done by machine and has several contours or 'bends', he cannot simply give the dimensions to us. He gave me the name of the shop who still has the box on file and can build additional ones (as well as the price and the guy he dealt with) if you're interested....PM me if you are.

I am currently working on designing my own box for that area and it's not quite as easy as I first thought, but I found a new, lightweight MDF board that one of the local stereo shops uses...gonna try that when I finally get my dimensions right. I'll post them if/when I complete the box. Please do the same if you finish yours before me. If I get overly frustrated, I'll just cave and buy the one that 350Z-RED has, but I really don't wanna spend nearly that amount. Anyway, good luck man.

Quick Reply: Can you install a 10" sub behind driver w/o a box?