Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Can you install a 10" sub behind driver w/o a box?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 04:26 AM
350Z-RED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Specs

Originally posted by ZManInNY
I will answer for 350Z-RED since I hounded him for those specs months ago. He had a guy professionally build him that box and since it was done by machine and has several contours or 'bends', he cannot simply give the dimensions to us. He gave me the name of the shop who still has the box on file and can build additional ones (as well as the price and the guy he dealt with) if you're interested....PM me if you are.

I am currently working on designing my own box for that area and it's not quite as easy as I first thought, but I found a new, lightweight MDF board that one of the local stereo shops uses...gonna try that when I finally get my dimensions right. I'll post them if/when I complete the box. Please do the same if you finish yours before me. If I get overly frustrated, I'll just cave and buy the one that 350Z-RED has, but I really don't wanna spend nearly that amount. Anyway, good luck man.

Thanks ZManInNY, i couldn't have put it any better
Old 11-11-2003, 07:55 AM
Losing-Grip

my install doesnt sound to bad. i kept the stock HU and swapped out all the Speakers with Diamond Audio HEX Seriers Components, wired to a Ecslipe 100/4 amp and a 8" JL W7 in the stock sub location hook up to another Eclispe Amp. The Amps were installed in the cargo compartment behind the passenger seat. Smaller on top of the large amp and a peice of wood thats carpetted seperates them and hold the top amp in place. Two computer fans were installed in there along with a capcitor.

Basically if you were to open my car up you would see no sub box, amps, or wires. in fact it looks stock except for the tweeters are larger than stock. Looks and sound pretty sick too.

-j-
Old 11-11-2003, 08:27 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: Specs

Originally posted by ZManInNY
I will answer for 350Z-RED since I hounded him for those specs months ago. He had a guy professionally build him that box and since it was done by machine and has several contours or 'bends', he cannot simply give the dimensions to us. He gave me the name of the shop who still has the box on file and can build additional ones (as well as the price and the guy he dealt with) if you're interested....PM me if you are.

I am currently working on designing my own box for that area and it's not quite as easy as I first thought, but I found a new, lightweight MDF board that one of the local stereo shops uses...gonna try that when I finally get my dimensions right. I'll post them if/when I complete the box. Please do the same if you finish yours before me. If I get overly frustrated, I'll just cave and buy the one that 350Z-RED has, but I really don't wanna spend nearly that amount. Anyway, good luck man.

Thanks for the details!
Old 05-10-2007, 09:07 PM
PrimoZ

True That !!! Someone Could Make Alot Of Money If They Sold That Box..... Duh Du Dah
Old 05-10-2007, 09:28 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whoa who dug a 4 year old thread outta the attic lol

wickedcas makes such a box
Old 05-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Marineris

You know? I've searched and browsed for days. I even contacted WickedCAS and I STILL don't know what their "glovebox enclosure" is (they don't respond). Is it just a plate for the passenger side? If so, it sucks, right? Can it go behind the driver? Does it suck?

In short: Does it suck?

I, like a few others here, are not looking to announce our lack of taste to a 3 block radius. I just want some decent bass to listen to John Tesh (kidding). Can I PLEASE have a box that fits in the stock location, already!

And, on topic, why is it not possible to use Dynamat in the stock location to seal up all the various corners, seams and holes?
Old 05-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Lsmith9523

Marineris,,,, "wickedcas" box does fit the stock bose location and the pass side glove box. Its a complete enclosure that is made of fiberglass.

No such thing as a "plate" from wickedcas. There are fully fiberglass "boxes" for 10's that locate on the driver side and pass side cubby's. From what I have "SEARCHED" and read here,,,they do not suck. But, I guess it depends on what type of bass you are trying to achieve.

All else,,,,try www.wickedcas.com they have a photo gallery for the 350z,,,has photos of the enclosures....

Oh and "no",,,it doesn't suck..
Old 05-12-2007, 04:00 AM
dbashore

Originally Posted by Lsmith9523
Marineris,,,, "wickedcas" box does fit the stock bose location and the pass side glove box. Its a complete enclosure that is made of fiberglass.

No such thing as a "plate" from wickedcas. There are fully fiberglass "boxes" for 10's that locate on the driver side and pass side cubby's. From what I have "SEARCHED" and read here,,,they do not suck. But, I guess it depends on what type of bass you are trying to achieve.

All else,,,,try www.wickedcas.com they have a photo gallery for the 350z,,,has photos of the enclosures....

Oh and "no",,,it doesn't suck..
Well, Depends how you define suck. The "box" part is really good quality. However, the flange on mine doesn't fit the opening and is not tapped for the screw holes. So, if you consider $300.00 for something that will require hours of engineering and machining to mount, then yeah it doesn't suck. You will also need to get longer screws to reach through the fiberglass to the holes.

and +1 on they don't respond. You are on your own.

JMO
Old 06-02-2007, 09:14 PM
rnbanjao

how's the sound on that wicked cas box behind the seat... is it clean with little or no rattling..? don't really care about the install.. but the sound quality is what i'm after...!!! it is kindna expensive box so i'm guessing quality of sound should be good also... anybody????
Old 06-03-2007, 07:26 AM
SIRSHREDSALOT

Has anyone gotten this CAS glovebox unit installed ?? How does it sound ?? What sub did you put in it ??
Old 06-03-2007, 07:31 AM
bbs350z

i did mine w/ dynamat and a jl w0 sub
Old 06-03-2007, 09:39 PM
rnbanjao

how does it sound...is it a waste of $$$$
Old 06-04-2007, 10:05 AM
bbs350z

well im not very much into audio, im more on thwe performance aspect. but its worth it if you do it right. mine is wired up and sealed, connected to a small 250watt amp, and bridged on the stock bose headunit, and its fine for me. hits nice, sounds crisp
Old 06-05-2007, 12:09 AM
rnbanjao

hmm.. sounds like a more expensive route.. can da infinity basslink 10" fit in the back??? anybody know.. i think that's the route i'm goin to since i jes want to add base in my audio, jes for me.. not for the whole neighborhood.. i read that its decent, accurate, and for the most part simple and fairly cheap.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:47 AM
VanDamme22

Default Stock location subwoofer

Any updates on good options for a sub in the stock location behind the driver's seat?
Old 10-31-2009, 01:59 PM
ydlee

Had a kicker comp vr since they air free air this was back in 03 in G35 sedan in stock sub location with a bunch of dynamat and polyfill. Sounded decent but not powerful.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:44 PM
celohss

Did you ever get the specs from 350z red???
Old 02-02-2011, 03:32 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Here's what I built for my '08:

It's covered by the stock Blose grill, which I dynamated on the inside. Clean, tight bass, and just what I was looking for. Not like a pair of 12's, and it's not going to blow the hatch off, but nothing in that location is going to have that sort of power. I was going for accuracy at normal listening volumes while driving.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Nazar
Banned

http://www.wickedcas.com/gallery/v/m...s/350z/ZR350Z/

FULL FIBERGLASS LIGHTWEIGHT CONSTRUCTION, UNLIKE OTHERS.
YOU CAN ALSO ORDER WITH A 13" SLIM SUB AS WELL

Many years of experience with 350Z installations and I will tell you time and time again.

The only good soultion is to have a sub firing down in the 350Z glove box area. (stock location)

We spend days developing this box and we have 100's of these enclosures out there with excellent results.

Not to beat a dead horse but, if you fire forward or up in that area you will be wasting your efforts.

Last edited by Nazar; 02-14-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:54 AM
yahmeboys

check this out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_4772wt_905