Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

DNX7100 installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 01:33 PM
hulikner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DNX7100 installation

Hey guys, I am not very savvy with electronics. I have been trying to figure out what I will need to install my kenwood dnx7100 double din dvd player but I keep getting confused. I know I need the installation kit and maybe a wire harness? I have seen something about Metra but its used or Bose only? I have a 03 non-bose Z. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-26-2008, 02:40 PM
cbr900son

U need a installation kit and wireing harness. Metra make a decent kit but there is another one out there that imo looks alittle better. BTW there was something about powered atenna when i did mine but cant rember what it was.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by cbr900son
U need a installation kit and wireing harness. Metra make a decent kit but there is another one out there that imo looks alittle better. BTW there was something about powered atenna when i did mine but cant rember what it was.
Questions and comments on your reply:

You mention an installation kit. Which installation kit (brand name… Kenwood)?
You mention a wiring harness. Which wiring harness (brand name… Kenwood)?
What about details on the Metra kit you mention. What is the better kit your reference?
Your advice on the powered antenna is incomplete (you said you forgot?).

Forgive for pointing out that your response is pretty much useless without any information.

--Spike
Old 05-27-2008, 06:45 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I just installed the ddx512 in my Z and had some confusion about the 'Power Antenna' wire in the wire harness, because the Kenwood instructions say that it should be connected if the car has a powered antenna and as far as I knew the Z does not. There is another wire labeled 'Power Control' which goes from the HU to the amp (if you have an amp). So I called Kenwood and their tech support told me that if I connected the 'Power Control' wire then I do not need to connect the 'Power Antenna' wire. So I blindly followed instructions and didn't connect the antenna wire and when I turned it on I barely got any reception on any of the local FM stations. So then I pulled it apart and connected the antenna wire, turned it on again and the reception was good. So unless I am missing something, the 350z antenna is not totally 'passive' and needs to be connected to the wire coming from the head unit.

Also if I may offer my opinion on the Metra kit, I used it and I think it fit just fine. I thought their single-din kit was junk, but the double-din looks good (to me) once you get everything sandwiched into place in the console.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:17 AM
cbr900son

We dont have a powered atenna but we need that power to boost the signal. Metra is one of the makers for the installation kit (the plate and brackets that go around the unit). The wireing harness can be made by a number of companies. U basically wire the HU to the harness and plug the other end into the wire harness inside the dash. Im tried an goin to sleep will elaborate and look for the other kit and wire harness later or search a few install thread (especially in the audio build sub forum)
Old 05-27-2008, 03:52 PM
adamtaylorpcb

let me know how you like it