Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Free XM? For how long?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Zrealsoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Free XM? For how long?

Hello,
I did a search for "xm" and "free xm" and got nothing.

I bought my 08 in January, came with NAV and XM radio (GT).
The Nissan website says that you get 3 months free. Its been longer then that now and still works. Any idea on how this works? Is XM free for ever? Or will it just stop working?
Or better yet... is there some bill accumulating that I don't see?
How about NAV service... is that free for ever? (GPS is a free service anyway right?)

Thanks for any insight you may have.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Al Kapwned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Navigation is free in a sense, and its not really a service. Your navigation system utilizes government satellites that had to be paid for one way or another. You may have actually gotten lucky and the dealer forgot to cancel their demo XM service on the vehicle. Dealers will activate the XM on some vehicles so the customer can demo the product. If you are the one that activated the XM however you will probably be charged, if you are not already. Did you give them any account information or a credit card when you activated it?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Zrealsoon

Originally Posted by xx2ndgenxx
Navigation is free in a sense, and its not really a service. Your navigation system utilizes government satellites that had to be paid for one way or another. You may have actually gotten lucky and the dealer forgot to cancel their demo XM service on the vehicle. Dealers will activate the XM on some vehicles so the customer can demo the product. If you are the one that activated the XM however you will probably be charged, if you are not already. Did you give them any account information or a credit card when you activated it?
Hi,
No, I factory ordered this in October of 07, It arrived in January of 08.
The day I picked it up, XM worked off the lot and does till this day. I have never had to do anything more then turn the BOSE on to use it.
I am weary of calling the dealer to ask.. I bet you can understand why.

The thing is, I am going to drive from here to Cali, to Seattle this month.. It would suck if XM stopped during this trip.. Even though the sound quality is somewhat poor... there are actually some great channels.

Last edited by Zrealsoon; 06-03-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Al Kapwned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zrealsoon
Hi,
No, I factory ordered this in October of 07, It arrived in January of 08.
The day I picked it up, XM worked off the lot and does till this day. I have never had to do anything more then turn the BOSE on to use it.
I am weary of calling the dealer to ask.. I bet you can understand why.

The thing is, I am going to drive from here to Cali, to Seattle this month.. It would suck if XM stopped during this trip.. Even thought the sound quality is somewhat poor... there are actually some great channels.
I wouldn't sweat it then. Worse case scenario while you are on your trip is it gets canceled and you have to call XM customer service to get it reactivated. Which takes like 15 minutes. It sounds like you got lucky and they might have activated it as a demo. If it is they will probably cancel it eventually when they go through all the units active on their account (If they ever do). If you are not getting a bill or being charged on your credit card leave it be and enjoy.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Zrealsoon

Originally Posted by xx2ndgenxx
I wouldn't sweat it then. Worse case scenario while you are on your trip is it gets canceled and you have to call XM customer service to get it reactivated. Which takes like 15 minutes. It sounds like you got lucky and they might have activated it as a demo. If it is they will probably cancel it eventually when they go through all the units active on their account (If they ever do). If you are not getting a bill or being charged on your credit card leave it be and enjoy.

Hell ya. Word.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:52 AM
68Stang

Same thing happened to me when I picked up my car last June. I'm still enjoying XM.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Zrealsoon

Originally Posted by 68Stang
Same thing happened to me when I picked up my car last June. I'm still enjoying XM.
Very cool. Looks like I will continue to enjoy it... now my mental debate is over adding the USASPec ipod adapter... word is it uses the XM port. Not sure I like that... looking into a way to mux both cables together or something. Or I can just go nutz and buy a real Stereo.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:02 PM
68Stang

The only bad part is, I can't upgrade my head unit without losing xm.