Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:56 AM
LwnMnWoody

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer

I have an '04 Roadster Touring and need to replace the subwoofer. Can anyone tell me if this is a shallow mounted woofer? I went to a local shop, Audio Express, and they told me that they needed to build a box and replace the amp for it. $1500 A crock of **** to me. I just want to replace the sub with a suitable replacement that will compliment the system that's in there. I don't plan to upgrade until I decide not to buy an '08 Roadster in San Marino Blue.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:05 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably better in the audio section.

The subwoofer that comes stock with the Bose system is a "free air" woofer designed to work outside a sealed volume. Bose should be ashamed and turn their engineering degrees in for doing such a disservice. How many free air woofers do you see selling in the high end audio shops (that would be none).

To do it right the sub-woofer needs a box - either sealed, ported, or vented - to operate in. The back area behind the seats is a nightmare to attempt to seal yourself. There are pre-packaged woofer/amplifier combos like the Infinity ones that will drop into the area and work well. I understand that someone was manufacturing (by hand) boxes to fit in there which would take an aftermarket 8-inch woofer. There are good under the rear strut boxes made too that mount single and dual woofers too.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:54 AM
StreetOC192

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you have a roadster, your options are limited to the OE sub location or a trunk mounted enclosure. Both of which you can find pre-made by a few different makers (some are members/sponsors of this site). As you have found out by your estimate from your local shop, custom car audio is not cheap.

For the OE sub location, the best you can do would be either have a shop custom make a box to fit in there, or buy the one offered by Wicked CAS.

For the trunk, Zenclosures among others makes a trunk enclosure for the roadster.

Once an enclosure is purchased, you can pick a sub that will work in that enclosure.

Once a sub is purchased, you can pick an amp to power that sub.

What is your budget? Also keep in mind that whatever you purchase for your '04, could be transplanted into your new '08 if you decide to buy a new Z.