Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

My New Install - Need Advice on Tuning.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:34 AM
Big Tav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My New Install - Need Advice on Tuning.

Hi guys, I need some advice on my new install in my 04 Roadster. I have some tuning issues that I want to sort out and just don't want to rely on what i am being told by the installer as I am having some issues with the guy.

I prefer the opinions from you guys

I have:
Kenwood DDX7032 DVD Head Unit with BT and Ipod

Alpine PDX 4.100 Amp (Hidden under passenger Glove box) running the fronts and sub.

Focal 165 VR Front speakers with tweeters hidden in the stock location (can't see them)

Kenwood KFC-WPS1000F 250mm Subwoofer (installed in place of the Bose Amp behind drivers seat. Bose cover removed)

Focal 165 Rear Speakers (just ordered)

Stinger Cables used throughout.

Rear (stock) speakers were disconnected when I went to pick up as he said they were just distorted sounding when compared to the Focals so he just disconnected them. I thought it sounded a bit hollow (don't know what else to call it) when sitting back in the seat without rears. I like the surround sound of rear speakers. I hope that made sense.

He has ordered me a set of Focal 165's for the rear now. He says they will fit and if not we will install the 5 Inch ones. (Which will fit?) He is going to run them straight of the Head Unit.

I also want to redo the tweeters in the stock locations. They are hidden but I am going to expose them and use the angled mounts to make better use of them. They should be facing the occupants right? I have read that some people point them at the windscreen. I feel that in the location they are in now without the angle mounts I have to lean forward near the steering wheel to really appreciate them.

How does this all sound? Any advice guys as this should be good enough to really blow me away and I want to get it right.

Also do I need to get it tuned? I believe it is called an RTA?

Sorry for the long post but I am excited to get it all done. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:10 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

Speaker placement opinions vary, but in my car, I found I liked the tweeters facing in toward the center of the car v.s. toward each other or the windshield.

RTA can tell you how your frequency response looks on a graph, but only your ears can tell you what you like.

I did not have my rear speakers hooked up. That seems to be the consensus here, but again, if you like it, there is nothing wrong with it.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:17 AM
shakuya88

Not related at all but just noticed DVFlyer's sig

Date since I've needed a back seat: 3/7/2007 (day car was purchased)
Just like you'll never get a flat until after you remove the spare. You never need something until you don't have it anymore.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Big Tav

Originally Posted by shakuya88
Not related at all but just noticed DVFlyer's sig

Just like you'll never get a flat until after you remove the spare. You never need something until you don't have it anymore.
What does that mean???