Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Need Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Wudi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Opinions Please

I'm HUGE into music but have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to car audio. I'm not worried about SPL or anything like that, I'm more concerned with SQ. I JUST bought my 2005 Z on thursday of last week and am noticing I'm in dire need to do some audio upgrades. I know the guy before me did some upgrades to the system but they're not good enough for me.

I like a very well balanced sound. In my previous care (Mercedes S320) the stock Bose system did a fairly good job, most of the time. I like to hear my music with a good amount of clean bass. (I'm sorry if my lack of formal vocabulary to describe what I mean makes it difficult to understand). The best I can describe it is that I like my system to be loud but only if its well balanced and clean. It would probably help to say that I listen to mostly Progressive Trance and Progressive House music, actually all EDM but those are the main two. Hopefully you know what that is, if not pull up some Deadmou5 or Above and Beyond, trust me you'll love it haha!

I usually like more of a surround then a front staged sound, but then again, I've never had a car this small so I'm not sure what my tastes will be. So I think that at first I'll replace the front speakers, like many people have said to do, then move to the back if I find it not to be to my taste.

So now for the question, keep in mind I know nothing about car audio so if you can give as simple and thorough an answer as you can that would be awesome, (I'm trying to research as much as possible and gain as much knowledge as I can).

Given this abundance of information, (yes I know it comes down to preference but I don't even know where to start), what HU (was looking at the Kenwood DNX8120, any review?), speakers, amps, sub(s), and box would you recommend (although after reading many things about them on here I believe I'm probably going to go with the Zenclosure under-strut either the 1x10" or 2x10" based on your suggestions, unless there's a better box for the sub you recommend). Also what else would I need to purchase (meters, controlers, ect. like i said i know nothing )

My budget is about $1,500 for the HU and about $4k for the rest (including install) though i would like to stay as well under that second number as possible.

Lastly, how much is it to get quality sound deadening done for me (since i have very little time that I could devote to that, and having no experience with any of this stuff I'd be nervous about messing up), and are there any good shops around the Annapolis, MD area that do a quality job. Unless, of course, it's not as hard as it sounds, then the question is, are there any good guides on how to do it specifically in for 350z (I've searched and all I find is very general directions).

Sorry about such a long post but I did alot of searching and have found most posters do not give enough information and get very poor answers due to that fact. Besides this is my first post, might as well make it memorable .

Ps: Any recommendations for quality shops around the Annapolis area in maryland that could help me figure out what's best for me, and are there any recommendations for stores to buy the stuff I need either online or a store near me as well?

Pss: I have the car is a Base trim ( ) as well if that matters.

Thank you all very much in advance!
Old 08-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

RE> My budget is about $1,500 for the HU and about $4k for the rest (including install) though i would like to stay as well under that second number as possible.

Your budget is more than adequate to install a great CES.

Since you are willing to spend >$5K, you want to do a lot of research, and then find high-end installer who can do the job.

Hopefully you receive responses for good Professional Installers in your immediate area (i.e., a PI shop that does great service such as what Bing provides for his clients).

--Spike
Old 08-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Wudi

I do ample amounts of research before i jump into anything, especially if I'm throwing down that much money. Hopefully there are some people on here who can recommend someone to me.

Any recommendations as far as equipment is concerned to get me headed in the right direction?
Old 08-25-2008, 07:13 PM
whitemikecn

Send an IM to 16psiBrick.... He will hook hook u up with everything you need and all he carries is top notch stuff. Even though he is in Cali I am still 100% positive that he can help you out in your descision.

Chris