Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

HOWTO: Use Clarion "Speakers" as Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 07:53 PM
Zaph32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOWTO: Use Clarion "Speakers" as Spacers

I really wish I had pictures - I don't, sorry, but I'll try and explain the process.

Tools required: Dremel tool, Soldering Iron/Solder, Speaker Wire, Drill, Replacement Speakers

1. Remove the speaker from the door (duh!) Make a note of the factory wiring harness - look carefully at which prong is red (positive.)

2. Flip it over. You will see that the back basket has 6 plastic "prongs" that connect the magnet to the base.

3. Get out your Dremel and attach the bit that looks similar to a very short drill bit. I found that this thing cuts the plastic quite handily.

4. Cut all of the basket "prongs" as close to the base (largest part) as possible.

5. Snip the two metallic leads going to the speaker terminal area.

6. Now for the fun part! Exercise your pure hatred of the Clarion speaker and rip it out forcibly!!

7. At this point you have the plastic ring that formerly held the speaker. You should be able to put your new speaker inside this ring and have it neatly flush against the plastic.

8. Drill the holes for your new speaker and screw it in using the supplied screws.

9. Now you have to wire it up - you will note that there are now two sets of speaker terminals on the back - the new speaker itself and the original terminals that connect to the harness plug. Using the soldering iron, heat up and remove the original bits of wire from the original harness, then solder a short length of speaker wire from the new speaker to the old terminals.

Be careful to get the polarity right! If you don't remember which is which, go check it against the plug. I don't think both doors are the same, so don't trust your memory - make sure it's right!

10. You now have a "factory" speaker that is vastly improved! Cool, huh? Screw it into the door using the original screws and plug in the original harness.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:43 PM
Drannor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to add:

If you are using true 6.5S or 6 3/4" speakers they may be slightly oversized for the clarion "basket". Through creative drilling and positioning I was able to sink three screws to attach my VR series JL Audio component woofers.

A previous post mentioned using a rubber gasket when recycling the clarion bracket, I highly second that as it forms a tighter seal.