Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Basslink Part 2 - Metal Tabs in Sub Area

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 01:59 PM
Zaph32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basslink Part 2 - Metal Tabs in Sub Area

RANT!

I tried to do a better install of my basslink today (all 4 screws) and was not successful due to those stupid metal tabs in the sub area.

I tried banging them down with a hammer, bending them with pliers, and even tried shoving my foot in there - nothing made them bend.

So, I put the sub back the way I did it last time - two screws holding it up in the front, nothing in the back. I did use larger heavy duty screws though, and got some adhesive weatherstripping that I applied all over the back to prevent rattles.

The really crappy thing is that getting into the sub area requires removing the rear side panels and the trim ring. During reassembly I managed to scratch the front of the rear speaker bar with the trim ring and I also lost at least one clip on the side pieces during reassembly (I heard it fall into the nether regions of the car, never to be seen again.)

Man, I've had it with this basslink install. If the current setup doesn't hold, I may bite the bullet and take it to a stereo shop.
Attached Thumbnails Basslink Part 2 - Metal Tabs in Sub Area-basslink-install-2-001.jpg  
Old 08-10-2003, 02:00 PM
Zaph32

Disassembly of install
Attached Thumbnails Basslink Part 2 - Metal Tabs in Sub Area-basslink-install-2-003.jpg  
Old 08-10-2003, 02:00 PM
Zaph32

Metal sub plate removed
Attached Thumbnails Basslink Part 2 - Metal Tabs in Sub Area-basslink-install-2-004.jpg  
Old 08-10-2003, 02:01 PM
Zaph32

Left side of sub well - note the annoying tab
Attached Thumbnails Basslink Part 2 - Metal Tabs in Sub Area-basslink-install-2-006.jpg  
Old 08-10-2003, 02:01 PM
Zaph32

Center of sub area - both annoying tabs visible.
Attached Thumbnails Basslink Part 2 - Metal Tabs in Sub Area-basslink-install-2-007.jpg  
Old 08-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Zaph32

Right side of sub area
Attached Thumbnails Basslink Part 2 - Metal Tabs in Sub Area-basslink-install-2-008.jpg  
Old 08-10-2003, 02:03 PM
Zaph32

This is why the tabs are a problem - you can see I have all four mounting legs on the basslink, but there is no way to get it mounted to the top due to the tabs.

I am afraid to mount it to the bottom due to the gas tank, so...we have a problem.
Attached Thumbnails Basslink Part 2 - Metal Tabs in Sub Area-basslink-install-2-009.jpg  
Old 08-10-2003, 02:54 PM
wren57
Banned

you really want em' gone? get a sawzall with a metal-cutting blade... or take a really long time with a dremel...
Old 08-10-2003, 03:06 PM
Stone Z

Was there a problem with th initial install....why were you attempting to do it again?

Also, does the metal plate that houses the BOSE sub need to be reinstalled? Can you just leave it off, or won't the plastic pieces snap back on with it missing?
Old 08-10-2003, 03:15 PM
Zaph32

I reinstalled because I was getting paranoid that it might break loose being held up with only two screws.

Also, the back end started to rattle loudly against that metal tab during heavy bass.

I wanted to secure it with all 4 screws, but settled for 2 beefier ones instead, and the adhesive weatherstripping seems to have stopped the rattle against the tab.

I am *really* sick of working on the car - I don't even have my permanent license plates yet, and I've already had the thing all disassembled and now scratched inside.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:19 PM
Zaph32

Oh,

And no - the metal plate does not need to be reinstalled. I suppose there is some margin of safety there (if you had a bad wreck the sub would be stopped by it rather than plowing into your back) but since removing the metal plate requires disassembling the car, I decided not to reinstall it.

Future sub access *should* be easier now just by removing the plastic cover.
Old 08-10-2003, 05:17 PM
Stone Z

Question

Originally posted by Zaph32
Oh,

And no - the metal plate does not need to be reinstalled. I suppose there is some margin of safety there (if you had a bad wreck the sub would be stopped by it rather than plowing into your back) but since removing the metal plate requires disassembling the car, I decided not to reinstall it.

Future sub access *should* be easier now just by removing the plastic cover.
Do you think the BOSE sub cover enhances the bass or do you think the stock cover is sufficient?
Old 08-10-2003, 05:47 PM
Zaph32

I think it looks cool

And you'll note that with my install the heatsink fins for the basslink amp face the grille - so I figure it can ventilate through there.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:19 AM
derekjsmith

The metal tabs are just spot welded in place by two welds each. So what I did just drill the spot welds out from the top and they just felt off.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:25 PM
neur0sis

What are the metal tabs there for in the first place?
Old 08-15-2003, 02:36 PM
Stone Z

So....how does it sound?!?!
Old 08-15-2003, 04:13 PM
Munky

Stone Z,

Speaking as a not-so-partial observer (Zaph's my buddy), I'd say that it's worth every penny.

I used to have 4, 12" Punch Pros in my car in HS - so I am no stranger to bass, and lots of it. Unless you have 20" Daytons and a huge sticker on the back of your Z that says something like "Playaz Club" on your ride, I think you will find that it puts out plenty of bass. And, clean bass, at that.

So, it's not going to rattle out your fillings, but it will *way* more than fillout the lowend. In fact, Zaph has been backing the beast down a bit since he installed it.

Now, if I can just get my damned car here so I can do the same... wake me on the 20th

Cheers,
Munky
Old 08-15-2003, 04:35 PM
Stone Z

Originally posted by Munky
Stone Z,

Speaking as a not-so-partial observer (Zaph's my buddy), I'd say that it's worth every penny.

I used to have 4, 12" Punch Pros in my car in HS - so I am no stranger to bass, and lots of it. Unless you have 20" Daytons and a huge sticker on the back of your Z that says something like "Playaz Club" on your ride, I think you will find that it puts out plenty of bass. And, clean bass, at that.

So, it's not going to rattle out your fillings, but it will *way* more than fillout the lowend. In fact, Zaph has been backing the beast down a bit since he installed it.

Now, if I can just get my damned car here so I can do the same... wake me on the 20th

Cheers,
Munky
Cool...thanks.

I haven't heard a single complaint yet on this type of set-up......encouraging.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:44 PM
Zaph32

Munky's right - it has tons of bass.

I have some rattle issues that I haven't tried to track down yet - they only manifest on certain bass tones on certain songs. In general it sounds great.

And I do intend to drop the gain a bit - I am running -3 on the head unit and it is still a bit much. I'm going to try reducing the crossover frequency a bit too.

The nice thing is, once it is in, you can easily mod/tweak the settings by removing the grille.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:28 AM
cliffart

Originally posted by neur0sis
What are the metal tabs there for in the first place?
I recently installed my Basslink in the way Zaph did and encountered the "annoying tab" problem. I believe they are for mounting the European-right-driver glove box since it would be on the left side of the car. Mass produced cars usually have the same frame for both right side and left sided models to keep production costs down. Anyway, the tabs are useless unless you want to install a glove box behind the driver seat.

I was able to do a decent job of bending the tab flat with some Vice Grips. I'll post a picture of the bent tab in the next few days.

Quick Reply: Basslink Part 2 - Metal Tabs in Sub Area