Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

DVD player with stock Navi setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 06:03 AM
ChrisMCagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by swoobyz
Sorry for any confusion.
I've had a few emails related to this, so I'll make a post here to clarify any confusion I may have caused...
Yeah, I actually got you confused with onecoolee. He is attempting to contact video-nav.com and will post their new contact info if they are still in business. Have you thought about making a "kit" of the parts you actually need to build for people like me who are not up to attempting it?

-Chris
Old 08-21-2003, 06:10 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by Quadry
Guys I went with nav-tv, because I would not have a clue on how to put this in my own vehicle...
That's cool, but speaking for myself, I don't have the $1600 they quoted me to get the system installed in my Z. I figure that I already spent too much on the stock nav system at $2000. I like the $300 route myself for the setup. Hell, if video-nav.com is still in business, I'd even be willing to pay the $600 for their parts. But IMO, nav-tv is WAY too expensive (not to mention the fact that they only deal with installation houses. That is a CROCK of $hit!)

-Chris
Old 08-21-2003, 12:45 PM
Baumer

Default NAV-TV

There is another NAV conversion kit out made by AV Electronics. The kit is only $495 and includes everything besides the external DVD video source.

I am getting the kit installed in my G35 coupe tomorrow and I know there is another guy that has it in his coupe on the freshalloy forum. Here's the link - I'm not sure if they have anything for the Z.

AV Electronics NAV TV Tuner
Old 08-21-2003, 12:53 PM
Baumer

Default NAV-TV

There is another NAV conversion kit out made by AV Electronics. The kit is only $495 and includes everything besides the external DVD video source.

I am getting the kit installed in my G35 coupe tomorrow and I know there is another guy that has it in his coupe on the freshalloy forum. Here's the link - I'm not sure if they have anything for the Z.

Old 08-22-2003, 10:04 AM
swoobyz

Default Re: NAV-TV

Originally posted by Baumer

Looks decent!
I like the fact that it knows to switch to the rear view camera when you put it in reverse.
That, and it comes w/ TV antennaes!

BTW: The Infiniti G35 NAV is exactly the same as the 350Z NAV, so that should work for the Z. It still requires cutting 1 wire though.

That definitely looks like the way to go if you do not want to build any sort of circuit.
Let us know your experience once you get it in!

Pv
Old 08-22-2003, 12:00 PM
swoobyz

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
Yeah, I actually got you confused with onecoolee. He is attempting to contact video-nav.com and will post their new contact info if they are still in business. Have you thought about making a "kit" of the parts you actually need to build for people like me who are not up to attempting it?
-Chris
Looking at google's cache, the only contact information on their site is the email address:
info@video-nav.com

Selling my own kit has crossed my mind, but it would require finding a male and female version of the B104 connector:

I checked w/ Nissan Parts many months ago, and they do not sell just the connector (which I think is a lie).
Anyone know someone in Nissan Parts?

I would also need male/female versions of the connectors used by any other manufacturer that the kit wants to be installed on, but getting Z connectors is the higher priority.

Pv
Old 08-22-2003, 12:07 PM
swoobyz

Originally posted by Quadry
Guys I went with nav-tv, because I would not have a clue on how to put this in my own vehicle. If you can do it yourself, that is great. I have pretty much all of the mods on my car, myself. However, when it comes to electrical, I stop. If something gets wired wrong or goes out, it is a lot easier for the place doing your installation to pay for it, rather than yourself.
Good choice; to each their own!

For those still on the fence, we're not talking about anything high voltage here.
The device is pretty simple to make; I, and everyone that has built this before me, have done all of the research for you.
Putting it together is only a few steps above playing with LEGOs.
Here is the $43 device you need to build to get your $240 GEX to work:

NOTE: The schematic is newer than the photos, and includes parts not shown in the photos.

Pv

Last edited by swoobyz; 08-22-2003 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:31 PM
Mercuttio

Default AV Electric

I spoke with a rep from AV electric. Their system does work for the 350Z, but you have to cut 4 wires and attach them to your system, versus 1 wire on the infinity. However, they are looking for a way to do a plug & play option directly to the monitor with a pre fabricated connector. The trick is they need to get a picture of the back of the screen to see where and what they need to build.

Has anyone seen the back of the screen, or been in that area of the car. It's great to have a solution, but it would be nice to avoid cutting wires.

M
Old 08-22-2003, 07:39 PM
swoobyz

Default Re: AV Electric

Originally posted by Mercuttio
I spoke with a rep from AV electric. Their system does work for the 350Z, but you have to cut 4 wires and attach them to your system, versus 1 wire on the infinity. However, they are looking for a way to do a plug & play option directly to the monitor with a pre fabricated connector. The trick is they need to get a picture of the back of the screen to see where and what they need to build.

Has anyone seen the back of the screen, or been in that area of the car. It's great to have a solution, but it would be nice to avoid cutting wires.

M
You mean like this?:

Actually, that is a bad shot, but the connector (M35 in the diagram link below) is fairly standard for Nissan.
I've talked with some Infiniti owners, and their wiring and connectors are identical to The Z.

Here's the Z's wiring diagram:
http://www.swooby.com/z/navpc/pics/navi%203.jpg
http://www.swooby.com/z/navpc/pics/navi%204.jpg
And here's the Infinity G35:
http://www.geocities.com/wonderer369/G35Nav.html
Click on "Navigation RGB+Sync Diagram"
(stupid GeoCities won't let me link directly to the JPG)

All of the connectors look the same, so I cannot think of a reason why AV Electric would say the 350Z is different than the G35.

Pv

Last edited by swoobyz; 08-23-2003 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:40 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default Re: Re: AV Electric

All of the connectors look the same, so I cannot think of a reason why AV Electric would say the 350Z is different than the G35.
I e-mailed AV Electric as well and they too said that the Z install requires cutting 4 wires as opposed to only 1 on the G35. I have the e-mail from them on my work computer and I'll post it here on Monday.

-Chris
Old 08-23-2003, 10:20 AM
swoobyz

Default Re: Re: Re: AV Electric

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
I e-mailed AV Electric as well and they too said that the Z install requires cutting 4 wires as opposed to only 1 on the G35.
[Sorry for the bad link to the G35 wiring diagram.
Stupid GeoCities will not let you view a JPG without first browsing the page. (grr!)
I edited my post above to fix the link.]

Then please ask them to explain why (and then post it here), because I have heard from Infiniti G35 owners and seen from the diagrams (you can see for yourself, above) that the connectors are the same, pin numbers and all!

Infiniti and Nissan are the same company afterall.

Again, I am pretty certain that the 350Z and G35 NAVs are 100% the same, wiring and all, and suggest that perhaps AVElec doesn't know what they are talking about if they insist otherwise.

Anyways, that's the last I'll say on the similarities between the connectors.

Pv

Last edited by swoobyz; 08-23-2003 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-23-2003, 02:06 PM
rbaggett1

As soon as they get the plug and play option, I'm there. Does anyone know the dimensions of the AV Electric Box?
Old 08-24-2003, 12:27 PM
initial_Z

so has anyone got their mod done at avelectronic yet? with the 4 wires cut? let us know how did it go! thanks.

by the way, does avelectronic provide any warranty on their products and services? would the mod effect the z's manufacturer's warranty??
Old 08-24-2003, 01:53 PM
rbaggett1

I should have paid more attention. They have the dimensions on their site. 188 W, 145 H, 35 D mm.

I went ahead e-mailed a sales rep to see when they think they will have a plug & play option available. I'll post the response as soon as I get something.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:53 PM
rbaggett1

Have you guys seen the video that's on AV Electronic's site? It has one of there customer's in a 2003 Acura MDX going through a product run down. Pretty cool stuff.

http://russiantreasure.com/shop/mdx.wmv
Old 08-25-2003, 07:12 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: AV Electric

Then please ask them to explain why (and then post it here), because I have heard from Infiniti G35 owners and seen from the diagrams (you can see for yourself, above) that the connectors are the same, pin numbers and all!

Infiniti and Nissan are the same company afterall.

Again, I am pretty certain that the 350Z and G35 NAVs are 100% the same, wiring and all, and suggest that perhaps AVElec doesn't know what they are talking about if they insist otherwise.

Anyways, that's the last I'll say on the similarities between the connectors.

Pv
Well, as I promised, here is the e-mail conversation I have had with AV Electronics. I just got the final response about 2 minutes ago...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 2:48 PM
To: Chris Cagle
Subject: RE: Nissan 350Z?

Hi Chris,

Yes, we have a system for your Nissan 350Z (requires to cut Only 4 wires). You can order directly by clicking "order" on our website.

Thanks,
Sam / AVElectronic.com

Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 3:15 PM
To: 'sales@AVElectronic.com'

Does your system allow the connection of an in-car PC?

Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 3:48 PM

Our system have 3 standard RCA type AV inputs. So if your PC has the RCA video out than just feeds it to one of the video input. Keep in mind that with a PC you will need a very good video card to get a good quality picture. And also the navigation screen is only about 5" to 7" so the letters will be small according to the screen size. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Sam / AVElectronic.com

Sent: Monday, August 25, 2003 7:42 AM
To: 'sales@AVElectronic.com'

Just out of curiosity, why is it that the 350Z requires 4 wires to be cut while the G35 only requires 1 wire to be cut. Don't both vehicles have the same nivigation system?

-Chris

Sent: Monday, August 25, 2003 8:01 AM

Chris,

No, the reason is they both (350Z & G35) have different system internally. And like for BMW you will need to cut 3 wires.

Thanks,
Sam / AVElectronic.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on what Sam says, it looks like the G35 and 350Z do in fact have different Nav systems.

-Chris
Old 08-25-2003, 08:26 AM
Baumer

Default NAV-TV Install Done

I just wanted to post pics of the audio/video work that I had done in my coupe over the weekend. Everything came out really well! The install was done at Tweeter in Huntsville, AL.

I wanted to go with a clean look so they did a fiberglass enclosure molded around my spare tire. They had to relocate my Bose amp but it came out great. Inorder to get the right depth for the sub box they raised the floor of the trunk about 2.5-3". You'd never know there was a sub there.

The NAV-TV box works perfectly. I mounted a PS2 in the trunk working with a Logitech Wireless controller. That way I can play games or watch DVDs. Also I have two additional A/V inputs on the NAV-TV box. The NAV-TV box is mounted on the passenger side floorboard, you'd never know.. Once again I would highly recommend Tweeter for any custom stereo work that you need.

Anyways, here is the link:

G35 Stereo Install ImageStation Album
Old 08-25-2003, 03:26 PM
WolfMan

If anyone gets the install done with AV, please tell us what four wires they are talking about! I would be very interested in this
Old 08-25-2003, 09:10 PM
rbaggett1

Ok guys. I just got a response back from an AVElectronics rep and they are interested in creating a plug & play option for our beloved Zs. The rep requested a picture of the back of the Nav Screen and the Nav DVDROM. I'm assuming they want pictures of where all the connectors and wires come out/go in to both units. I think swoobyz already did the back of the Nav screen. Hopefully that'll be a good enough picture of the Nav screen for them. Can someone post the back of the factory DVDROM unit? The following are the e-mails sent back and forth:

Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2003 5:40 PM
Subject: Navigation TV Tuner System for Nissan 350Z?

Dear Sales Rep,

I currently own a Nissan 350Z with factory navigation installed. I
frequent a 350z forum, www.my350z.com, on a regular basis and saw your product, Navigation TV Tuner System, recommended on there. There is a major interest from us Z owners with factory nav installed.

The major concern that many of us owners have is whether or not your product installation will void our factory warranty (since we have to currently cut 4 wires). And many of us are waiting for the plug & play option if at all possible to avoid cutting any wires at all. I believe someone on the forum went ahead and posted a picture of the back of the nav screen on the site. If you are going the plug & play route, do you have a possible date for a release?

-------Response-------------
Thank you for the inquiry.

Yes, we are still waiting for the picture of the back of the Nav Screen and the Nav DVDROM from one of the 350Z owner. Of course if the wires are cut than the warranty is voided. The plug&play release time frame depends on how soon we can get the information needed and match up with the right connector. The NavTV-Tuner system has been tested working in a 350Z.

We tried to go to the website you mentioned but can't see any posting about the pictures. Do you have to be a member or login password to visit the www.my350z.com? We went into the Audio&Video section. Please let us know andf you can also contact us at 770/418-1793.

--------------

I'll forward them to this forum site.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:31 PM
WolfMan

Keep up the good work, and keep us informed

Quick Reply: DVD player with stock Navi setup