Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

install time for a 2 way pager alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default install time for a 2 way pager alarm?

hey guys - I was curious if any of you have installed your own 2 way pager alarm. I was looking into getting one but the local quotes (800+) were pretty high considering the system I was eyeballing only costs in the mid 200s (looking at a viper system with 1 mile range). I'd rather save some money if I could install it on my own.

can you give me some general estimates for install times, both for myself, and for a pro? so I can decide if it's worth while to have a pro do it since I don't trust my craftsmanship all that much.

I know they are just rough estimates since I am not specifying an exact system. I don't care much for things like remote start - just the alarm w/ paging system and other security features. appreciate the help in advance.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:23 AM
adamtaylorpcb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, 2 1/2 hours tops if your not electronically inclined. 1- 1 1/2 hours for a shop

800 is a rip

does it have remote start and extra stuff or just keyless
Old 10-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Entaille

I imagine it was the works.. I didn't even investigate further. I knew if it cost 800 with everything then it wouldn't be much less if I killed some features. I wanted this to be a 500$ or less ordeal.. :P

I am torn on the remote start - will your doors stay locked w/ remote start? only reason I'd want it would be to warm my car up during the winter time. how much extra time would go into the install for that feature?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:53 PM
orgasm_donor

It takes me about 3.5 hours to do a good alarm and about 5 hours to do a full alarm with remote start. I have been doing it for 17 years.

Why does it take so long and why should I charge $700+ for a full alarm with remote start?

- Siren is hidden and the wiring is invisible from the engine bay
- I hide the brain so well that it takes about 1/2 an hour to get to it. I also hide all of the fusing and make the wiring as discrete as possible. If a thief can't find my alarm, I have done my job.
- LED is mounted high up on the dash so you can see it 360 degrees around the car
- Hood pin is off of the firewall about 10-12" away from the edge of the hood. Extremely difficult to access it.
- I solder ALL of my connections.
- Two point immobilizer
- Proper factory immobilizer bypass module

There are a lot of other things I do to secure the alarm system. If the alarm is not secure, the car isn't secure. It takes time to do it 100% properly. Please don't cut corners. Installers like me aren't ripping you off - we are taking the time to make sure your car is protected. You get what you pay for. BTW, the alarms I do are Compustar PRO two-way pagers with remote starters and turbo timers. Nothing beats Compustar in my opinion.

Last edited by orgasm_donor; 10-29-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:41 AM
Entaille

Right on Org - I went back to the shop last night and had a very lengthy conversation and came to the same conclusion as what you just mentioned. I just didn't have enough knowledge on the topic and naturally assumed it didn't take as long.

looks like the install time actually *does* take that long for a good system, if everything is done well. He estimated his full install time to be about 6 hours and they were willing to hook me up on the labor portion, I can get the works on a viper install w/ 1mile range, remote start etc for about 670$.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:06 PM
st8king

Originally Posted by orgasm_donor
It takes me about 3.5 hours to do a good alarm and about 5 hours to do a full alarm with remote start. I have been doing it for 17 years.

Why does it take so long and why should I charge $700+ for a full alarm with remote start?

- Siren is hidden and the wiring is invisible from the engine bay
- I hide the brain so well that it takes about 1/2 an hour to get to it. I also hide all of the fusing and make the wiring as discrete as possible. If a thief can't find my alarm, I have done my job.
- LED is mounted high up on the dash so you can see it 360 degrees around the car
- Hood pin is off of the firewall about 10-12" away from the edge of the hood. Extremely difficult to access it.
- I solder ALL of my connections.
- Two point immobilizer
- Proper factory immobilizer bypass module

There are a lot of other things I do to secure the alarm system. If the alarm is not secure, the car isn't secure. It takes time to do it 100% properly. Please don't cut corners. Installers like me aren't ripping you off - we are taking the time to make sure your car is protected. You get what you pay for. BTW, the alarms I do are Compustar PRO two-way pagers with remote starters and turbo timers. Nothing beats Compustar in my opinion.
I don't mind paying that if that is what really happens. I just am always very nervous with people I don't know on my car. I had a remote start/alarm a while back on a car. I believe the brand was Code Alarm not sure if that is good or not. About two weeks after the install I locked my keys in the car by mistake. When AAA got there they picked the lock for me and the alarm didn't go off. The installer didn't have the door pins wired into the system.

Do you have any advice for finding someone that would do it like you would?

Rich
Old 11-01-2008, 06:25 PM
orgasm_donor

Its really tough to say because I am at the opposite end of the continent from you. There are a few things to consider though....

- Print out my list and ask if they do what I do when installing alarms.
- Ask if they solder all connections. If they don't - AVOID! Its what separates good installer from guys who get paid to hack up your car.
- Check your local import forums. My local one is www.revscene.net. Its a huge site that has a lot of info on where to go for alarm installs in my area.
- Codealarm she not so good. Stick to Compustar. If you absolutely can't do compustar then go for DEI. Make sure its a top end model though!

Get to know your installer. If he's a crackhead with an attitude then walk away. If he's got a good head on his shoulders and appears to respect you and your car then he may be worth a shot. See what else he's working on at the time. See what kind of car he has. Yes, in this case, judgement helps a lot!

EDIT! One more thing...please don't let price get in the way of your good judgement. You get what you pay for and when you pay a little more...you generally get better service, better product and better protection.

Originally Posted by st8king
I don't mind paying that if that is what really happens. I just am always very nervous with people I don't know on my car. I had a remote start/alarm a while back on a car. I believe the brand was Code Alarm not sure if that is good or not. About two weeks after the install I locked my keys in the car by mistake. When AAA got there they picked the lock for me and the alarm didn't go off. The installer didn't have the door pins wired into the system.

Do you have any advice for finding someone that would do it like you would?

Rich

Last edited by orgasm_donor; 11-01-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:53 PM
sdbarker

Originally Posted by Entaille
Right on Org - I went back to the shop last night and had a very lengthy conversation and came to the same conclusion as what you just mentioned. I just didn't have enough knowledge on the topic and naturally assumed it didn't take as long.

looks like the install time actually *does* take that long for a good system, if everything is done well. He estimated his full install time to be about 6 hours and they were willing to hook me up on the labor portion, I can get the works on a viper install w/ 1mile range, remote start etc for about 670$.
Buddy, there's a local guy we all go through. I can hook you up with his info if you want. He's the guy that did my system, not that you've seen it or heard it in person yet though.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:26 AM
rsxscrazy

With my old Rsx-s I had best buy install the top of line viper alarm can't rember the model number. And i had a prox sensor installed. $600 for everything. It was a standard but it had remote start option. i just loved the fact of the prox if anyone was 2 feet or so around the car it would give a warrning then go off 3-5 seconds later if they didn't move.

In strong winds or hard rain it would go off randomly but you can turn the prox off.

the $600 was worth it to me to let them install it and give me a year to bring it back with any problems. I do alot of audio intalls but never anything that messed with the car ECU and wouldn't want to cross any wires.

My 350 ill have the same system installed!