Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

FOCAL owners, need opinions....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 11:29 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question FOCAL owners, need opinions....

I just found mysaelf in a position to get AWESOME deal on some focals.

I ws origionally planning on getting a pair of $300 Alpine components on ebay for around $130, now I can get a great deal with focal.

I am specifically looking at teh 6.5" polyglass (priced right for me, I am NOT looking to enter my car inshows or anything just somehting slightly better than stock). Is the polyglass good enough??

would you say that they are

1.a real DYNAMIC speaker or a
2. Laid back sound???

also, have you heard thier 8.5" subwoofer called 21 V2 (or the one that ALREADY comes in a pre-made box=SB 21 V2??)

I know it is only a 8.5" but if I face it backwards in the hatch aarea it sould sound better/louder than my bose POS (again, I am NOT looking to shake teh neighbors, just GOOD quality, Quick punch)

ANY help would be GREAT!!!!!! thanx
Old 08-16-2003, 11:55 PM
Horizon1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi there, if you can wait til tomorrow, i'll tell you how they sound! haha, i'm installing them as we speak...

you need spacers in the front for sure, even if you get the slim version...not that big of a deal, just FYI

i've got the polyglass coaxials in the back as well, and its all going to be run off of a JL 300/4 and a 500/1 driving a 10w7 with a alipine 9815 deck.

i'll check back in tomorrow night and let you know how it sounds...i'm 90% sure i'll be done..but who knowS!

i think there's a couple other people with teh polyglass series..so maybe they can chime in.

i know Zland (jeff) has them too..but he's on vacation last i heard.

mike S.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:58 PM
rodH

ALSO, instead of getting the polyglass coponents in the FRONT and coax in rear, should I get POLY K in front and leave rear blank to save $$??

some reviews I read say POLY K is much better??

also will teh poly K fit in the door with a spacer???

btw, what is differnce betwen ploy k 165 K and K2?????
Old 08-17-2003, 12:00 AM
rodH

Originally posted by Horizon1
hi there, if you can wait til tomorrow, i'll tell you how they sound! haha, i'm installing them as we speak...

you need spacers in the front for sure, even if you get the slim version...not that big of a deal, just FYI

i've got the polyglass coaxials in the back as well, and its all going to be run off of a JL 300/4 and a 500/1 driving a 10w7 with a alipine 9815 deck.

i'll check back in tomorrow night and let you know how it sounds...i'm 90% sure i'll be done..but who knowS!

i think there's a couple other people with teh polyglass series..so maybe they can chime in.

i know Zland (jeff) has them too..but he's on vacation last i heard.

mike S.
I look foward to it, THANKS!!

did you get teh SLIM version??
Old 08-17-2003, 08:38 AM
Horizon1

yea, i have the slim version. i was hoping to avoid making spacers...but theres no way around it. the edge of the window just comes down way to close to the speaker space.

k and k2 dont have too much difference, k2 is just a little higher end, handles more power ...its like 75 nominal and 150 max for the k and k2 has 100w nominal, 200 max.

i have read those reviews too that suggested going just for fronts and i think its just a matter of preference. Of course it also has to do a lot with what you're using to power those speakers.

polykevlar series has not been redesigned or upgraded in the last 5 yrs or so...they brought back the polyglass series brand new recently, and rumors has it that they'll prob redesign the polykevlar series soon. Not sure when you're gonna be in the market for them, but you can't go wrong either way.

Oh yea, just a side not, those coaxials are no slouch, i took them out yesterday and they weigh at LEAST 10 pounds...I thought they would just be some flimsy stuff, but they're not messing around with these! haha, just an observation, i can take pics later before i install

cheers, mike
Old 08-17-2003, 10:16 AM
dmazyn

I have a set of Focal Utopia 165 W3's in my car. The 6 inch fits in the doors, the installer might of done some spacers no sure did not look that close. But here is a pic with them installed.

The stock rears are hooked to the head unit, not powered by any amp just to give very little rear sound. Can't really notice them. Each door is run by an Old Rockford 40X2 which puts out plenty of power for these. With the 4" and Tweets in the kicks pointing at the other side of the car the imaging is very good.

A little less room on the drivers side, but I took out the foot rest which give more room.
Attached Thumbnails FOCAL owners, need opinions....-101-0127_img.jpg  

Last edited by dmazyn; 08-17-2003 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-17-2003, 02:29 PM
rodH

Originally posted by Horizon1
yea, i have the slim version. i was hoping to avoid making spacers...but theres no way around it. the edge of the window just comes down way to close to the speaker space.

k and k2 dont have too much difference, k2 is just a little higher end, handles more power ...its like 75 nominal and 150 max for the k and k2 has 100w nominal, 200 max.

i have read those reviews too that suggested going just for fronts and i think its just a matter of preference. Of course it also has to do a lot with what you're using to power those speakers.

polykevlar series has not been redesigned or upgraded in the last 5 yrs or so...they brought back the polyglass series brand new recently, and rumors has it that they'll prob redesign the polykevlar series soon. Not sure when you're gonna be in the market for them, but you can't go wrong either way.

Oh yea, just a side not, those coaxials are no slouch, i took them out yesterday and they weigh at LEAST 10 pounds...I thought they would just be some flimsy stuff, but they're not messing around with these! haha, just an observation, i can take pics later before i install

cheers, mike
if you could get the K2 for oly $40 more than the K would you?? and if youcould get the Poly-K K2for only $80 more than the Polyglass would you do that???
Old 08-17-2003, 08:00 PM
Horizon1

i got the polyglass for 209 which i think is a pretty good deal, k2 for 80 bucks more...hrmm..it'd be a toss up cuz i think most k2 sets sell for 300 and up.

just to update you..i ran into a small but VERY annoying problem...the wiring harness from the chassis to the door is giving me hell...i spent 5 hrs today tyring to make it close up again and i can't do it!!! ARGH...this is from the how-to section...anyhow, so yea, my system is on hold right now until tomorrow when i have more time to work on it...

i thought 14ga speaker wire would fit in there nicely..which it did, but the limited space gave it really limited space to move...

anyhow, can i ask what amps you are planning on using?

i would think...*personal opinion* that the polyglass series will sound very nice and comparable to k2 if you power it with a nice clean amp.

mike
Old 08-17-2003, 10:06 PM
rodH

Mike, sorry to hear about the problems

I am going to run a Blaupunkt 5 channel 350 W amp, that is brdigeable to 3 channels (2X100 and 1X150-this is how I will runn it). I have some other amps, but this is probably my best option, it was a very expensive amp at the time ($800+ iirc) and a very heavy and large piece. It isn't as trendy as many of the amps now out, but it should do the job.

how do theh polyK and polyglass lines differ in sound???
Old 08-18-2003, 07:25 AM
Horizon1

i head the polyglass series in my friends car and it definitely sounds more mellow and balanced compared to something else like MB Quartz...to me, mb quartz in the same price range sound way too bright for my taste. As for the the kevlar series, someone else can maybe chime in on how they sound.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:11 AM
Itzted350z

I just installed some focals, the k2 model, but for some reason the trebble from the tweeters don't sound that clear, its sorta sounds muffled. Anyone have any suggestions or comments about how i can make the trebble more clear...thanks....the setup i currently have is the Alpine F450 5 channel and Pioneer DEH-P8500MP headunit. Thanks a lot...
Old 08-19-2003, 05:31 PM
rodH

Originally posted by Itzted350z
I just installed some focals, the k2 model, but for some reason the trebble from the tweeters don't sound that clear, its sorta sounds muffled. Anyone have any suggestions or comments about how i can make the trebble more clear...thanks....the setup i currently have is the Alpine F450 5 channel and Pioneer DEH-P8500MP headunit. Thanks a lot...
WOW, I just heard those speakers in a shop, they should sound VERY clear.

maybe chack the treble settings in your head unit or check your crossover network settings. is it in phase??

That is strange
Old 10-28-2003, 08:59 PM
samw1978

Is K series a lot better than V2? Worth the extra money?
Old 10-29-2003, 09:43 PM
LeighJr

I put focal Polyglass 165 v2 in the front and back they kick *** you are more than welcome to listen to them in my car if you want just PM me. I'm in OC
Old 10-29-2003, 09:58 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: FOCAL owners, need opinions....

Originally posted by rodH
I just found mysaelf in a position to get AWESOME deal on some focals.

ANY help would be GREAT!!!!!! thanx
Rod:

You let me check your car out once, you can check out my focals if you want. I got 4 of them, check out my stereo components below.

I love them but that is not as important for you as if you would like them. Let me know if you want to hear them.

BTW, I got them from Paul at Street Noyz (619) 260-1747. Paul has Focals and MB quartz etc. He knows which is the best value and will talk straight to you. He installs top end stereos day after day, year after year. Honestly, his experience is worth the phone call. You dont need to buy anything from him, just pic his mind for a minute or two and let him know I suggested you call (Jeff from Oceanside). If he hangs up on you, I guess we will both know what he thinks of me

Jeff