Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Little help needed from the UK..

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 12:49 PM
Greymalken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Little help needed from the UK..

Firstly, hi folks

Appologies if the questions I am about to ask have been asked before, I have read a few posts but I guess this board has been going a while?

I live in the UK and I have a 350Z about 2 weeks away on a boat coming in from Japan as they aren't available to buy over here yet and I wanted one badly as soon as I saw some piccies of one.

The NAV unit will be the standard Nissan fitted one on a tourer model, as thats what I have bought, but I think it may come all in Japanese as its an import. Does anyone know if this can be changed easily or otherwise? Software problem surely?

I guess the next question is, my 350Z won't have a rear fog light fitted as they don't have them in Japan, can anyone verify what the configuration of the lights is and where the dashboard switch would be located as standard on a 350Z that does have them?

Any help would be seriously appreciated.

Cheers!
Old 08-18-2003, 02:06 PM
sparky3Z

Sorry, but I don't have a clue about your navigation system language situation.

We don't have rear fog lights in the US, but you may be referring to what we call "back-up lights." They are switched on automatically when the Z is put into reverse.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:01 AM
Greymalken

Default close but no cigar...

Heheh, thanks for the reply bud. Trust us in the UK to have a law where you need an extra high intensity light for the rear in case it gets really foggy weather and people can hardly see the car in front!!

Thats what they are for, but you were kinda on the right track with reverse lights. Looks like I will have to wait for the UK 350Z to be realesed before I will really know how the lights and dash should be wired up as standard.

I'm really hoping that the nav system should just need a dvd or something loaded into it to wipe it and start again in a new language, does that sound familiar to other systems?

Cheers..
Old 08-19-2003, 08:29 AM
ether

if you got a JDM Z model, from what I've heard from the dealer here in Japan is that the stock Nav unit's language can not be changed.

The english option available for JDM models is a seperate aftermarket one which Nissan has co-created for the market here.

Also the stock unit here in Japan picks up TV stations for which the freq. may be diff than in the UK, so there might be some technical differences beyond the software.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:20 AM
Greymalken

Default doh...

Heh, that's the reply that I didn't want to hear but thanks a load for replying bud.

I did wonder about the hardware side of things as well as software, I might be wrong but Japan and the US have NTSC format broadcast TV where as we have PAL in the UK...hence the TV side of things would work in the US even though the unit is from Japan.

Having said that though, you would still have to be able to understand Japanese to work the thing....which unfortunatley I don't.

If anyone does hear of anything else that I might now be able to do to sort things then please let me know, otherwise I am now about to start to look for a replacement unit that works in England.

Cheers again