Default I fought the Molex...

and the molex kicked my ***....

had the holes in the molex and the wire run but couldnt get it to clip back

the 14g twisted wire im using is about the size of 8g

im considering unibit-ing a new hole in the panel to run the wire
Old 12-16-2008, 02:36 PM
mattk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, take a critical look at the male contacts and be sure that all of them are straight, they can easily get bent while you drill out the unused spaces to run the cable. Second, be sure to feed the cable so that it doesn't bunch up and interfere between the two molex connectors. Last, try using the clamp as leverage to get the connectors to seat through the cutout in the door, but be certain you know there's no cable stuck in between and the contacts are straight.

It's a pain, no doubt about that, but just tell yourself it's as simple as it looks. Doesn't mean it's easy to do though.

14g twisted wire with an extra outer cover is asking for trouble. Car audio folks have all sorts of opinions about what is required for their speaker power needs, but personally, considering the difficulty in getting that wire through, I'd use another cable if I had any ability at all. I'd go to some of the web-based power calculators and find the minimum I need for my stereo.

You can decide for yourself if you can or can't use 16 gauge, but I can tell you that I got a pair of 16 gauge wires through each grommet without an extreme amount of frustration. Not that I'm quitting my day job to make a career of 350Z grommets.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:01 AM
KManZ
Banned

Thanks for reminding me about the nightmare that is the door molex The driver's side is 10 times easier than the passenger side for some reason, so if you want to get your confidence up, start there. The hardest part is getting the female side clipped into the pass through, and then slowly pushing the male part into it while at the same time making sure the wire is straight. The worst part: the female connector pops out of place if you apply too much pressure while trying to get the male part in.

Eventually though, you get it in, and you realize that it won't go in anymore. Thats where that lever comes in, and when you close that, it pulls the two pieces together that final little bit. I was so happy when it finally clicked home nice and flush, but damn I was sore, cut and bleeding. I also used 16 gauge, and can't imagine anything smaller!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:37 AM
adamtaylorpcb

thats the bad part, i was doing the drivers side
Old 12-17-2008, 12:01 PM
sumfknguy

be VERY careful! lol, unlike myself when I did it.. They already had some wires run from when they installed my aftermarket alarm and when I went to snap the plug back together it pinched that wire and now my doors don't lock electronically. Yeah.. after some troubleshooting, I found it to be an issue with the BCM. I have a new BCM to replace it with, but I have yet to bring it into the dealer since the keys will need to be reprogrammed.

Good luck and be VERY patient!