Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Selling myself on a DNX7100, how deep will this go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 08:59 PM
eesnas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling myself on a DNX7100, how deep will this go?

So I have a non-Bose non-Nav (Base) model Z... Trying to figure out if a DNX7100 is worth the money but I am very much not wanting to have a "system" of any kind in my car, I don't want to start a chain reaction of audio upgrades due to a head unit.

I want to have navigation and my Ipod in the car. I know I can buy an Ipod adapter that wires into the factory radio for somewhere around $150 and then I can get a Garmin 660 for around $300. Adding that up and I feel like I am almost better off just buying a Kenwood DNX7100 as it looks like it has all the features I want and a very clean look. Here's my questions and areas of concern, hopefully someone can help me clarify what to do:

-If I do upgrade to a DNX7100 will I need to replace all the factory speakers? If so, how many are there and what size? (would rather not replace these if I don't have to)
-I notice a lot of people do their own install, I'd love to do it myself but I don't really want to mess my car up and I work my *** of at work, I just would rather pay someone to do it for me, anyone know how much the install would run me? (roughly)
-I've seen the DNX7100 on Ebay for around $800 buy it now, sometimes lower, I'd like to buy brand new but don't know what retailer has the best price, any recommendations?
-Can I use the navigation while my music is playing? (this is probably a dumb question but I have not had an aftermarket head unit in a vehicle almost 12 years so bear with me here...)

I have just begun to research this and these are just questions I cannot find easily and I am hoping someone can swoop in and clear up for me- thanks.

Last edited by eesnas; 12-17-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:50 PM
orgasm_donor

Famous last words: 'I don't want to start a chain reaction of audio upgrades'

Yes you do. Why?

1) The stock stereo is absolutely horrid. My Civic had a better stock system
2) Once you get the 'bug' it is like a bad disease...you just will want to upgrade
3) These cars (although performance oriented) deserve a good stereo.
4) You don't need to spend $8000 on a mind blowing system

Ok, now that we got that out of the way....
You don't need to replace your front speakers but you should. Why? See point #1. Rear speakers? Not as important...you can keep them for rear fill or even better, disconnect them once you get some decent front speakers. Components that are efficient enough to run off of deck power are lets say...some Polk Audio DB series shallow components. Pretty easy to install too with proper spacers.

Cost to install just the navi unit with harness and kit will run you about $90-120 depending on the shop. Remember to support your small local shop! They will most likely do a better job anyways.

Good luck
Old 12-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Armando

get it man. you wont be dissapointed. i love mine
Old 12-18-2008, 06:43 AM
eesnas

Thanks for the replies...

Ok, let's say I want a DNX7100 and some speakers that can sound better than stock, no external amps, nothing fancy, just simple replacement speakers without paper cones.

What should my total budget be?

I am technically really good at following instructions but free time and patience is lacking for me, should I not try to do this myself?

I would GLADLY pay $150 for install to know it's done right but I have a feeling I will get quoted much higher than that...

I need to get my money straight first anyways, last thing I want to do is buy a $1000 stereo on my Amex card. I do think though looking at the cost it makes more sense to spend more and get the deck...
Old 12-18-2008, 06:50 AM
soleil
NolaZcc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been having mine for almost 2yrs now and i'm still in love with it
Old 12-18-2008, 07:21 AM
mattk

* You do NOT have to replace the front speakers
They are 6 1/2" two way speakers, tweeters mounted above, very small magnets, limited power handling, paper cone. They just use a cap for high pass crossover to the tweeters, and if you get a component set you need small tweeters, or you have to do some serious work for in-door mounting (many give up and just use kicks or pods). The stock wiring is small, but sufficient for a head unit amp. This mounting depth is VERY shallow due to the window behind it when closed. If you get serious about replacing the front speakers, you'll quickly see these problems and that expense and time piles up.
* Cost? Someone above gave you a number. Try for that in a major city, get charged for a harness and dash kit, and I think it's more than optimistic. I think you'll be over $100.
* Listen to music? Probably but I'm not sure on the Kenwood. I had a Pioneer AVIC-D3 (which everyone here loves, and I hated) and music would play concurrently, yes.

The ipod integration is usually through a USA Spec adapter. It pretends to be a cd changer on your head unit, you create 6 custom named playlists, and switch between them using changer controls. Not bad, but certainly not as convenient as you'll find on the Kenwood or a Pioneer device. About $100 for this adapter. You can keep the steering wheel controls.

The head unit you mentioned will need a harness and dash kit but has an amp built-in. You'll want a steering wheel control adapter for about $75 plus installation. So if you get a head unit for around $875+, you'll find slightly better sound, much better tunability, and incredibly better integration with the nav and iPod. It will also be more flexible when you want to replace the speakers.

Asking on a web forum is just asking for a bunch of vendors and (well-meaning) customers to tell you you need to buy a whole bunch of things you might not need. Prove it to yourself using a few tests (e.g. swap in your brother's decent 2-way speakers, disable the rear fill using the fader) before leaping down the system rat-hole, because that Kenwood isn't going to increase your retail value by nearly what you paid.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:31 AM
eesnas

Originally Posted by mattk
* You do NOT have to replace the front speakers
They are 6 1/2" two way speakers, tweeters mounted above, very small magnets, limited power handling, paper cone. They just use a cap for high pass crossover to the tweeters, and if you get a component set you need small tweeters, or you have to do some serious work for in-door mounting (many give up and just use kicks or pods). The stock wiring is small, but sufficient for a head unit amp. This mounting depth is VERY shallow due to the window behind it when closed. If you get serious about replacing the front speakers, you'll quickly see these problems and that expense and time piles up.
* Cost? Someone above gave you a number. Try for that in a major city, get charged for a harness and dash kit, and I think it's more than optimistic. I think you'll be over $100.
* Listen to music? Probably but I'm not sure on the Kenwood. I had a Pioneer AVIC-D3 (which everyone here loves, and I hated) and music would play concurrently, yes.

The ipod integration is usually through a USA Spec adapter. It pretends to be a cd changer on your head unit, you create 6 custom named playlists, and switch between them using changer controls. Not bad, but certainly not as convenient as you'll find on the Kenwood or a Pioneer device. About $100 for this adapter. You can keep the steering wheel controls.

The head unit you mentioned will need a harness and dash kit but has an amp built-in. You'll want a steering wheel control adapter for about $75 plus installation. So if you get a head unit for around $875+, you'll find slightly better sound, much better tunability, and incredibly better integration with the nav and iPod. It will also be more flexible when you want to replace the speakers.

Asking on a web forum is just asking for a bunch of vendors and (well-meaning) customers to tell you you need to buy a whole bunch of things you might not need. Prove it to yourself using a few tests (e.g. swap in your brother's decent 2-way speakers, disable the rear fill using the fader) before leaping down the system rat-hole, because that Kenwood isn't going to increase your retail value by nearly what you paid.
Thanks for the reply but I think I should simplify my facts a little now that I have info and I have seen a few responses...

-Let's just assume for the sake of this example I am not keeping my stock radio and I am getting the Kenwood DNX7100, forget all the stuff about the portable Garmin and the Ipod adapter, I'll use the DNX7100 instead since it has a built in I-pod jack.
-I have a base model, as far as I know there are no steering wheel controls
-I am under the impression I can install the DNX7100 and it will not blow apart the stock speakers, so replacing the speakers is not necassary.
-If I want to replace stock speakers with a speaker that will be better at handling the power output of the DNX7100 this can be done relatively cheap (?)

So to clarify, I am thinking of swapping the head unit and only if I need to I will upgrade the speakers. I don't have controls on the steering wheel and I don't want to do anything fancy with this thing, I really want to keep it simple. If my stock speakers will get ripped apart I will spend the money on new speakers but I don't care if they are top of the line I just want something that will not blow out.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:47 AM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had this unit for around 1 month. I love it. I have the USB hook up in the cubby above the player. You never see it but I have a thumb drive with over 350 songs on it. Its like having a mini juke-box in the car. I don't know exactly how many songs you can actually get on it, but I bet it is a lot.

The navigation is amazing as well. No DVD's to load for the navigation is all worth it. It is very accurrate and even better is says the names of the streets! You can have customized backgrounds as well. What player will do all of that. The D3 comes close but I don't think it says the street names and it uses a dvd for the navigation.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:53 PM
FreeBaGeL

I've been researching in-dash nav units and this is the one I'm leaning towards. Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd add a couple of my questions here.

1. I don't have an ipod, but rather a cowon MP3 player. Does the "ipod integration" mean literally that, just for ipods, or is it just being used as a generic term for mp3 players?

2. If it's just for ipods, I'd probably buy one just for this purpose. Is there a way for an installer to mount this somewhere out of sight and convenient? I don't want an ipod mounted on my dash or sitting up next to the shifter all the time.

3. There are XM/Sirius add-ons for this, right? How does this work now with the XM/Sirius merger? Do I need to buy both add-ons?

4. What does the 8120 add over the 7100? I didn't really see many differences in the specs.

Kenpo, I saw you mentioned you mounted the USB output in the cubby up above, this sounds like something that would be perfect for what I'm looking for (basically using a USB thumbstick as a substitute for a hard drive out of sight). Did you do this yourself or have an installer do it? Any pics?

Last edited by FreeBaGeL; 12-30-2008 at 09:11 AM.