Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

opinions on audiobahn

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 10:33 AM
gsxrsellout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions on audiobahn

No one here seems to use audiobahn subs or amps... I really like the looks of the flame series subs and think they would look cool in a sub box with a plexiglass front. Do they sound good or are they total crap?
Old 12-28-2008, 09:03 PM
orgasm_donor

Originally Posted by gsxrsellout
No one here seems to use audiobahn subs or amps...
I think you just answered your own question. Without flaming Audiobahn...ah fack it...they suck dude.

Don't chose your audio baed on looks please! Chrome flames do not a good amp/sub make.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:30 PM
Concave
Banned

i just stick with alpine! it is the only product to never let me down!
Old 12-28-2008, 09:42 PM
TheOtherRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had two of the audiobahn flame q series and they still work to this day, and Ive had them about 4 years now. I had them running off a 1500 watt amp and they sounded fine to me. I think their subs are decent, but thats about it. I think their amps are way overpriced and Ive heard that they get hot.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:33 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stay away from audiobahn, sure you can get some of their product that works, but then again, you can also pick up APC products that work for years, do you want to put APC parts on your Z?

thank god the brand is basically gone
Old 12-29-2008, 08:46 AM
Ichigo

Old 12-29-2008, 09:21 AM
stoffius

i worked at circuit city years ago and tried not to sell them. if i did, i REALLy insisted on a warranty. they are many more fish in the sea.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:25 PM
gsxrsellout

I don't want to choose them solely on looks... I do think they look nice but if they are junk for speakers then I will not use them. What would be some good subs for the trunk of a roadster? I want to use two 10's... Also, I am new on building systems so this is a newbie question... if I have two 200W subs, then that means I need one 400W amp, right? Also, what is the difference between 2 ohm and 4 ohm subs? How do I know what subs to piece together with what amps?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:42 PM
orgasm_donor

Have you searched this heavily discussed topic?
Check out www.the12volt.com for impendence explanations.

For subs? What is your budget? Many people will tell you to chose a specific brand but this is where you need to do some in-depth research which starts here. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that will tell you what is good and what is not good.

I recommend Digital Designs, Realm, Elemental Designs, Image Dynamics, Focal and a million other brands.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:26 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the audiobahn immortals are what you are talking about

they get loud

i do not like them
Old 12-30-2008, 11:47 AM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've owned 2 sets of Audiobahn subs over the years. The first I had was a trio of Audiobahn Natural Sound 10's. This was in 2000 when I bought them and they were cheap as ballz, $59 each if I remember correctly. I got them in a rush to replace my Memphis PR series subs that had smoked. Hooked them up to a PPI PowerClass 2100 amp and pounded on them in my Montero for 3 years. Then installed them in my nephew's truck and he pounded on them for 3 years. Now fast forward to 2008 and those subs are in San Diego in another nephew's truck with that same PPI PC2100 amp, still bumping and still sounding very nice for such a cheap price.

Set #2 of Audibahn subs came along in 2004, again a trio of 10's. Whatever their upper-middle line flaming DVC sub was in 2004, I paid about $169 each for them and installed them in my 03 Accord Sedan. They fu*king sucked. The bass was not at all natural sounding, everything sounded muddled and in general sounded like a Hifonics 18 that I had in 1996. I hated those subs with a passion. I ended up installing one of them in a modified cooler that we carried to the beach with us every year and throwing the other 2 against a tree in a moment of anger and stupidity.

Since then I have never considered Audiobahn for anything else.

Over the years I've used Kicker, Memphis, Rockford, JL Audio, Image Dynamics, Alpine, Soundstream, PPI, Hifonics, Hart, Marathon, Petras, Audio Gods, Phoenix Gold, Coustic, and Audiobahn in various installs. Out of all of them my last set if Audiobahn subs were the only thing I ever owned that completely sucked.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Goku350z2007

Does anyone have any experience with Kenwood speakers and amps? the reason why i asked is because i bought a kenwood double din and i dont know if it is better to get the kenwood speakers.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:12 PM
orgasm_donor

Originally Posted by Goku350z2007
Does anyone have any experience with Kenwood speakers and amps? the reason why i asked is because i bought a kenwood double din and i dont know if it is better to get the kenwood speakers.
Kenwood makes some great head units nowadays. Speakers and amps? Not so much. I installed a higer end Kenwood amp that a customer brought in and it was not too bad - it was digital and had these weird time alignment controls. Kinda cool but not my first choice for an amp. Speakers? I'll pass.

If I were you I would let Kenwood do its job as your head unit and get a reputable speaker and/or amp company to take care of that end.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:54 PM
Goku350z2007

thanks for your opinion orgasm_donor, another question do you know of an Alpine speaker model number i should buy that's perfect for a DNX-8120 ? i need for all 4 speakers, stock speakers sux. thanks
Old 12-31-2008, 04:42 PM
adamtaylorpcb

you need an amp, internal amp sux. thanks
Old 12-31-2008, 10:59 PM
orgasm_donor

thanks for your opinion orgasm_donor, another question do you know of an Alpine speaker model number i should buy that's perfect for a DNX-8120 ? i need for all 4 speakers, stock speakers sux. thanks
If you must use the deck power then the Type S speakers will do. These speakers are only ok though. You could do better.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:33 AM
adamtaylorpcb

think of it this way, would you decorate a multi-million dollar mansion with 10 cent trinkets from the ghetto store
Old 01-02-2009, 05:28 AM
Goku350z2007

anyone had any experience with the type S speakers? which is it a good idea to buy 3 way spearkers vs 2 way any known issues with 3 way speakers?
do i need an amp or the dnx-8120's internal amp is good enough? i dont want to go crazy loud just a decent sound is all i need. thanks
Old 01-02-2009, 09:42 AM
adamtaylorpcb

i would go with some components either way
Old 01-02-2009, 08:32 PM
orgasm_donor

anyone had any experience with the type S speakers? which is it a good idea to buy 3 way spearkers vs 2 way any known issues with 3 way speakers?
do i need an amp or the dnx-8120's internal amp is good enough? i dont want to go crazy loud just a decent sound is all i need. thanks
You have to be careful with your next decision.

2-way coaxials - A mid range speaker that has a tweeter attached to it usually right in the center of the speaker. These are what you would replace your old, dying factory speakers with in lets say...a Civic. Cost? $50-200

2-way point source coaxials - Similar to above but have a much better tweeter and a proper crossover to form a mid-bass (as opposed to midrange) and a better capacitor for your tweeter.

3-way coaxials - A mid range speaker that has a really tiny tweeter and a slightly bigger tweeter in the centre of the speaker. A great marketing tool for sales-sharks trying to make a few more dollars on crap you shouldn't buy

4-way coaxials - See 3-way set and multiply sales sketchyness by 4.

2-way components - Two separate speakers: A Mid bass and a tweeter with a crossover system. This is what most higher trim vehicles have nowadays (like our Z's). They are the most popular and can range in price from $120 - $5000 and more. Components require more power generally because of the crossover network. The bigger the crossover and higher the power handling, the more power you need! Entry level components that only need 100 watts or less can be powered from the deck - but amps are always recommended!

3-way components - A mid bass driver, a mid range speaker and a tweeter with a crossover system. More expensive, much harder to install (you would need this custom installed) but can be truly amazing if set up right with good power behind them. These bastards can cost a lot! A lot of people run three way sets in active - eliminating the need for passive crossovers and requiring more flexibility for equalization control.

Quick Reply: opinions on audiobahn