Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

the best iPod Integration kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:52 PM
chris3g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SmartDude
Yeah i've seen that link, I guess I was hoping someone with an automatic and nav would do a walkthrough like this. Maybe that person will have to be me. chrisdk did it, so at least i know it CAN be done. thanks for your help dude. Let me know how your install goes.

-joe
unfortunately i have a manual and aftermarket nav so i can't help you with that one.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:49 AM
chriskd

Originally Posted by SmartDude
chrisdk,

If none of those things have deterred your interest in the IPOD VEHICLEDOCK, then I think I may have a solution for video integration dilemma. This video integration unit comes with a switch which you mount somewhere in your vehicle so that you can toggle back and forth between the Navigation screen and your video source. The only overriding video input comes from the the 2nd video input which is for a reverse camera and is only activated when the car is put in to reverse so it should not be a problem. Any way here is the site:

http://www.tvandnav.com/index.asp?Pa...ROD&ProdID=181

I've heard of people drilling a hole in the side of the nav cubby for the switch. Still requires wire cutting behind the nav unit, which I personally am not too thrilled about. If I find out that there is a company that will provide a 100% plug'n'play solution I'll be sure to post it here.

-joe

Thanks Joe! Interesting find with the NavTool - looks like you're doing some heavy research. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what you end up going with and installing. Keep us posted!
Old 01-17-2009, 03:56 PM
chris3g

I just finished installing the uPac-NIS1. I haven't messed around with it much but it basically works like it's supposed to. The CD changer and satellite radio remain functional, and the unit adds an additional ipod and aux input.

A few annoyances with it -

when the ipod is connected, you can only operate it from the head unit controls. The standard interface on the ipod becomes locked out. Sometimes it's just easier to pick a certain song you want directly from the ipod than it is to navigate through an interface that only has a very limited display. This seems like a limitation imposed by the ipod and not the adapter though, i'm going to search for a workaround.

seek forward and back on the steering wheel do not change tracks, even though seek forward and back on the H/U do, not sure why this is

track information on the screen does not scroll, so if the song name doesn't fit, it just gets cut off. the factory sat radio works the same way, although it does scroll with MP3 cd's

Finally, if you have an iphone 3G or latest-gen ipod, you will additionally need the new 5V charging cable ( PODCBL5V ) if you want your ipod to charge while connected. The included cable will play audio but will not charge those devices.

Last edited by chris3g; 01-17-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:37 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Sorry about bringing this thread back from the dead, but I have some new information to share regarding the uPAC-NIS1.

I installed it over the weekend in my shiny new 2008 350Z touring w/o Nav and have found a few issues with the unit. There are some initialization steps you need to perform during installation that aren't covered in the documentation that comes with the box. You need to go to PAC Audio's website to get all the current how-to's. Apparently, you need to initialize the system with all the dip switches turned to the off position and let it sit for a minute or two before setting switches 2 and 3 to the on position.

Also, there is a firmware update on PAC Audio's website that specifically addresses Infiniti applications, but I went ahead and flashed the unit anyway since they recommend you have the latest firmware version that is available (it's pretty simple to do with a laptop and a USB connection). After the firmware update, the track up/down switch on the steering wheel works fine, whereas it didn't work at all before the update.

The only unresolved gripe I have with the uPAC is that it plays the iPod and Aux line-in at lower than normal volumes. It's at least a full 1/3 less volume than the CD player or radio. I have a letter in to uPAC's tech support to see if they have a solution to this. Even at full volume, the uPAC is about as loud as a CD is at 1/2 to 2/3 volume on the factory head unit.

If they resolve the volume issue, then with the firmware update, I'd give this unit 5/5 stars. As it currently runs with the low volume, I'd give it more like 3/5, since it's really annoying when you're on the highway and the cabin noise drowns out the stereo. I'll let you know if the company resolves this problem somehow.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:51 AM
chriskd

Like the upac, the Axxess also outputs at a lower volume. I adjust all my songs to max volume in iTunes to help bridge the gap. You can also try using setting your iPod's EQ to "Loudness".

Also, as an FYI for chris3g, the Axxess DOES have an option to use the standard iPod interface to navigate songs, etc.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:55 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the USA Spec and love it, it charges my ipod and their new cord is for iphone 3g apparently, great integration and you can control from the HU or the ipod itself
Old 03-11-2009, 10:05 AM
zakmartin

Originally Posted by chriskd
You can also try using setting your iPod's EQ to "Loudness".
I'll give that a shot. Thanks
Old 03-19-2009, 08:41 PM
unr1

Hey, I am in need of advice on this topic.

I am having some type of iPod integration installed but I'm not sure yet.

PAC? (ebay or wherever else)
Axxess? (ebay: integrated solutions is the seller)
OEM?? (nissanipod.com)

Basically, I don't want to waste money on this if the sound quality is poor. From reading above, it looks like the volume has to be increased. Is the iPod sound similar to FM radio? better?

I have a non-bose. Will installing an amplifier and a new set of speakers help with this issue?
Old 03-23-2009, 07:05 PM
zakmartin

Basically, I don't want to waste money on this if the sound quality is poor. From reading above, it looks like the volume has to be increased. Is the iPod sound similar to FM radio? better?
Update on the uPAC-NIS1 adapter: It's garbage. The interface is buggy (it's constantly switching from a working unit to a non-working unit.) After over an hour on the phone with Pacific Audio tech support, I finally got the inside lowdown on why the unit sounds so bad.

The version that everyone is selling (REV.1.2.488b) is by Pacific Audio's own admission a piece of junk. The problem is, Pacific Audio refuses to resolve the issue by replacing it with the version that DOES work (REV.1.3.552b). Also, good luck finding the working version, since all the "authorized sellers" won't open the package to see if it's the current revision before selling it to you.

The new revision allegedly incorporates an amplifier circuit on the main board, which allows it to work at the correct volume. Apparently, it also includes some fixes to the bugs in the software interface. That's great, except you can't actually find the working unit at any of the authorized sellers.

It's my informed opinion that Pacific Audio does NOT stand by its product and it happily sells what is essentially JUNK to its customers without any type of warranty or recall policy that will resolve known manufacturer defects. The bottom line is CAVEAT EMPTOR when it comes to Pacific Audio products. There are better manufacturers out there that will stand by their product and will work with their customers when problems come up. Good luck getting through to customer support if you ever have to deal with them. At least tech support returned my calls. Obviously, I won't be buying from them again.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:10 PM
zakmartin

PAC? (ebay or wherever else)
Axxess? (ebay: integrated solutions is the seller)
Don't buy these adapters from ebay. Most manufacturers won't work with you at all if you buy from anyone other than an "authorized seller". Ebay isn't one of them, so they'll basically hang you out to dry.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:27 PM
unr1

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:41 PM
chriskd

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Don't buy these adapters from ebay. Most manufacturers won't work with you at all if you buy from anyone other than an "authorized seller". Ebay isn't one of them, so they'll basically hang you out to dry.
I've had nothing but great experiences with Integration Solutions (they sell the Axxess kit on ebay). He always answered emails/calls and was very helpful.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:32 AM
-zip-

Yes I am bringing back this thread from the dead to report an update on the uPACnis1. I have a 2008 350z GT with Bose. I am running O/S ver 3.12 NOT 4.0. Very impressed with this unit it totally works as advertised.

The product is still being sold and wanted to point out a dip switch change in order to try and use the steering wheel controls for selecting next song. Upgrade to latest firmware first. Reset the unit, and change dip 3 to UP instead of down. So you will only have one dip down, which is dip 2.

Now install again same method as you did with the initial install and voila everything works the same but now if you hold down the seek on your steering wheel until you hear a beep.. it will change to next song. No idea why the instructions are wrong and from what I can tell so far there is no difference other than Seek and Tune is reversed on the radio, and really who cares as the functions for the uPAC are not seek or tune

For me its very stable and no issues what so ever, only disappointment is when charging it will not shut off if you leave the phone connected with the key off or out. PAC says its a minimal drain and its no big deal, another tech said it will shut off if phone is at 100 percent, but I tried that and I think the first guy is right.

Great product, I especially like using Navgon GPS on the iphone, now turn by turn directions through the speakers, music is muted when it happens. I have the phone in the cubby in landscape mode, two pieces of software that makes it even better is SBRotator and LSRotator (beta) to put all your icons in landscape mode, you need your phone to be jailbroken however.

Last edited by -zip-; 08-28-2010 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:00 PM
rakkiroo

Okay, so I JUST had a guy out to install an AUX input so i can play Pandora from my EVO. This company brought the PAC NIS1 kit and tore my dash apart to find out the plug doesn't fit. He told me there is no other way to go into my stock 2006 Touring Roadster stereo. WHAT!!!!? Any ideas?
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/z.../IMAG00112.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/z...o/IMAG0151.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/z...o/IMAG0153.jpg
Old 02-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Scrodes

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Update on the uPAC-NIS1 adapter: It's garbage.

It's my informed opinion that Pacific Audio does NOT stand by its product and it happily sells what is essentially JUNK to its customers without any type of warranty or recall policy that will resolve known manufacturer defects. The bottom line is CAVEAT EMPTOR when it comes to Pacific Audio products. There are better manufacturers out there that will stand by their product and will work with their customers when problems come up. Good luck getting through to customer support if you ever have to deal with them. At least tech support returned my calls. Obviously, I won't be buying from them again.

I'm sorry to bring this thread back from the dead AGAIN, but I simply have to chime in on this.

I bought the Pac audio adapter about a year ago, and like some of you I LOVED it. Then when apple updated their OS to 4 (keep in mind you can't backdate the OS to a system before 4) the integration unit stopped working plain and simple. After a lengthy hunt to find the source of my problem (Ipod read "accessory not compatible" or something similar) I was told by Pac Audio that the problem was caused by apple changing their OS.

Now the problem - Pac Audio suggested a really decent solution to a problem, which in all fairness they didn't create. The customer was to pay a nominal fee ($35 off the top of my head) and they would fedex out a new unit, you swap it for the one you have and send it back (shipping label and box included in the package they sent you) and they wouldn't bill you the full price if the unit was received within x number of days.

So I gave them my CC info and moooooooonths went by. I contacted the guy I spoke to previously and asked him if he could please check to ensure my order hadn't gotten lost. He replied that they were busy and I should just be patient... well it's been since last August or so, and still no replacement, nor an email saying "sorry it's not coming" or "sorry, we haven't forgotten, we're just delayed".

So in summary I have to agree, they really DONT seem to stand behind their product and their customer service was - as far as I received - terrible.

....now I'm out looking for a different solution, because I REFUSE to buy the newer Pac audio piece after the service I have received.

my $.02
Old 09-09-2013, 05:05 PM
craig12895

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts

Can somebody confirm for me whether this will work on my 2003 350z with Bose radio (without navigation)?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-iPod-interface-w-TEXT-Aux-Audio-Input-adapter-Bluetooth-Sirius-ready-/370865150228?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A350Z&hash=item5659491914&vxp=mtr
The only reason Im asking is because the ad says its for 2005+ 350z's but I did not think there was a difference in the radios from 2003-2005.

Thanks for any help, Craig

Last edited by craig12895; 09-09-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:51 PM
craig12895

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts

If anybody has any input on this at all it would be greatly appreciated. Or if anybody could confirm that the 03 350z does have a category/channel button on the radio? Mine doesnt say category on any specific buttons but is there a button that serves as a category button?

Thanks, Craig