Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Any suggestions on components?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 06:59 PM
tired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any suggestions on components?

I want some components and would like to use the OEM location for tweeters. Does anyone have any suggestions on what will work fit and sound good? I don't mind running an amp and will be upgrading the headunit.

I've had MB Quart before and was happy with them. I know Focal is top knotch and I wouldn't mind popping for them, but I doubt they (tweeters) will fit in the stock locations.

My goal is an Infinity Bass Link in the driver seat cubby, components up front and upgraded rears.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:52 AM
adamtaylorpcb

forget the rears, spend the extra $ on the fronts

like you said, focal are good.... also check into morel, hertz, dynaudio, and rainbow
Old 01-05-2009, 09:40 PM
orgasm_donor

Originally Posted by tired
I want some components and would like to use the OEM location for tweeters. Does anyone have any suggestions on what will work fit and sound good? I don't mind running an amp and will be upgrading the headunit.

I've had MB Quart before and was happy with them. I know Focal is top knotch and I wouldn't mind popping for them, but I doubt they (tweeters) will fit in the stock locations.

My goal is an Infinity Bass Link in the driver seat cubby, components up front and upgraded rears.

Any suggestions?
Infinity Basslink is ok but pretty low budget. You don't usually hear it in the same sentence as Focal.

What is your budget? If you want high quality sound then make sure you spend some special consideration on the install. If you want higher end like Focal, the last thing you should worry about is tweeter fitment. Not a lot of tweeters will just 'drop in' to the factory locations. Also, you will need a separate amp for the components if you want quality. If you go that far, you may as well upgrade your subwoofer(s) to something better than Basslink.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:37 PM
tired

I see what you guys are saying. I would really like to preserve the stock locations for everything, including the tweeter. I saw the thread about speaker mounting and what fits and what doesn't. Very helpful. If only I can get info on which tweeters would fit with little to no modification I would be able to make an educated decision.

As far as budget is concerned, I will have to look at what is available and set a budget according to my goals. It doesn't have to be top notch, I love the sound of the VQ and at times that is music enough for me. I'm guessing a mid-level component and the basslink will suffice.

Last edited by tired; 01-06-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:06 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,299 Likes on 900 Posts

Five years ago I went with MB Quart components and have been lovin' them ever since. Here's my review: http://www.epinions.com/review/pr-Mb...t_111890697860
Old 01-07-2009, 09:35 AM
orgasm_donor

I think its important to point out that individual opinion (including my own) should not help sway you in any particular direction as listening and sound quality are purely subjective. You need to demo some speakers yourself to truly get an idea of how they sound to YOUR ears.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:29 PM
tired

I'm curious why the DLS UP6's are so popular on here?

Has anyone used these with the tweeters mounted behind the stock tweeter grill? I guess if I had to I could live them them mounted in the kick panels. Is there room in the kick panels for the crossovers for these things?

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:30 PM
orgasm_donor

Why would you mount tweeters in the kick panels?
Old 01-11-2009, 09:54 PM
tired

Orgasm donor you prefer the A-pillar right?

I'm just trying to keep the car not-theft-worthy if someone was to peak in the windows.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:42 AM
adamtaylorpcb

i prefer kick panels if your going 3 way with the tweet and mid in the kick.

if its a 2 way like orgasm donors then the a pillar is prime
Old 01-12-2009, 04:47 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tired
I'm curious why the DLS UP6's are so popular on here?

Has anyone used these with the tweeters mounted behind the stock tweeter grill? I guess if I had to I could live them them mounted in the kick panels. Is there room in the kick panels for the crossovers for these things?

Thanks.
I have the UP6s and loved them but will be upgrading to the Iridiums in kick pods... The tweeters won't fit in the stock location without modification and if you put it there it will probably suck. I've heard a few setups with that and it's really... harsh and out of place.

I have my crossovers under my seat because the crossover doesn't fit on the driver side.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Get_Zwole

Dls makes some great speakers been running iridiums for 2 years. Now im going to 3 way instead of 2. I would say try not to use the sail panels for the tweeter. They are just too in your face and harsh at that spot. A pillars or kicks for DLS have been best spots ive found. You could also buy a box from Nazar on the forums that will house a 10'' sub in the stock bose cubby. Im with orgasm on this one the basslink is ok if your not worried about sound quality. If your going dls focal etc. for components you need a sub that will blend better with your components. Thats my .02 anyways.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:13 AM
sosojeffcc

I have my UP6 tweeters mounted behind the stock tweeter grille. I know it's not optimal, but it sounds great to me.

Best of all, it looks stock.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:34 AM
orgasm_donor

Tweeters CAN be mounted in the sail panel but I would strongly suggest that you use some kind of time alignment and of course properly EQ them. This is really the only way to make them sound good there and eleviate that 'in your face' sound.