Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Kenwood CarPortal Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:13 PM
JEKL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kenwood CarPortal Question

First off let me say that you guys have taught me a lot about audio options for the 350Z. Special thanks to Spider, Spike, Duke Kal El and many others for their input.

From all that I have read I think the route I want to take is keep the factory headunit but add the Kenwood CarPortal setup with the screen in the upper cubby. It looks like this setup will allow me to select iPod, XM and factory radio all from the touchscreen. Mainly I like this over an 'all in one' head unit because I can expand/upgrade down the road and not have to replace the entire H/U.

My goals are:
- Keep the stock appearance
- Add iPod capability
- Add XM Satellite radio
- Ability to add navigation later on
- Maybe add bluetooth later on
- Maybe, maybe maybe the ability to change the H/U for a DD DVD later on

Here is what I have:
'06 350Z
w/o nav
BOSE 6 Disc Changer

My question is what exactly do I need to make this happen? From what I understand I will need the following equipment:
- KOS-V1000
- KOS-L702
- KCA-iP300V
- KCA-XM100V
- '03 cubby?? (not sure about that at all)
- OEM Nav Finisher (I love how it looks on Kal Els)

Also, because I am keeping the factory head unit, I dont need address a PAC or steering wheel control do I? Seem like I just take the audio out from the BOSE and input that into the V1000. I am still a little gray with that part of the install.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Good questions.

Your “laundry list” of accessories (KCA-iP300V and KCA-XM100V) will work with the Kenwood KOS System, but saying this, I would send an email message/query to Kenwood Support as a final verification.

You state that you want to keep your stock OEM 350Z H/U. That will work fine with the KOS System (that is a feature/benefit of the KOS System). And, you will retain your steering-wheel controls, but only to your stock H/U. Possibly there is an adapter that supports function on the KOS System, but I’m not sure about this. Be aware that your stock/OEM H/U is a separate selectable device on your KOS System’s menu, and picking this option requires operation of the stock/OEM H/U’s using its controls (and not the KOS).

Since the KOS Controller (KOS V1000 and KOS V500) has a terrific radio receiver, you probably will only use your H/U to play CD’s, and that is if you do not add a DVD/CD player to your KOS System.

Don’t bother with a ’03 cubby with the ’06. It won’t fit right. To fit the screen in your 2006 Z, you should consider some minor custom fabrication. Any high-end professional installer can do this, and it won’t cost you much $$.

Hope this is helpful and not just confusing,

--Spike
Old 01-07-2009, 08:37 AM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only part that is incorrect on your list of items is the XM adaptor. The KCAXM100V is only for 2008 Video products with the KAB port. The KOSV1000 does not have this, it uses the 5L changer port. The parts you need to add XM are from a third party made by Audiovox. They are CNPKEN1 and CNP2000UC. Lastly you can integrate the steering wheel controls to the KOSV1000 using a third party made by PAC the part number is SWIJACK. The only draw back is you can only do one or the other, which means you can leave the steering wheel controls hooked up to the factory head unit or hook them up to the KOSV1000, you cannot have both hooked up at once. Hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:35 AM
JEKL

Spike and Duke, thanks for the fast replys and great advice. Now that I know I can control volume from the steering wheel and that the KOS has a good radio of its own that might change my plan a little.

If I don't need the original H/U for volume or radio it doesn't really serve much of a purpose. I never listen to CDs now that they are all on my iPod. So I would be open to taking it out and putting in some sort or double decker cubby (if that even exists). That's not exactly a stock look but more so than a big monitor IMO.

Do you know if there is a single DIN DVD only option for the KOS, or would that be someting designed for a box behind the seats?

One last question, do you need any additional adapter to make the KOS a radio? Not sure if its as easy as extending the OEM antenna and calling it a day.

Thanks again guys for taking the time to educate me on this. I used to do installs for a few years in college but I am so far removed from the game now that I really don't know products anymore and don't have connections in the business that I trust so this is a huge help.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:06 PM
THEDUKE

I would just leave the stock unit in place, that way just in case you ever do have a situation where you need to play a cd you have it. Another big bonus is that your vehicle will look stock. There is a DVD player designed to work with the KOS system, but it is larger than a single Din opening. You would have to mount it in one of the cubbys behind the seats. As far as the radio is concerned all you have to do is plug the antenna wire into it and you are ready to go. FYI the part number for the DVD player is KDVS211P
Old 01-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Spike100

I agree with THEDUKE’s suggestion to keep the stock H/U in place for the reasons he mentions. In fact that’s a central concept of the KOS System. When you install a Kenwood KOS Controller and its companion KOS-L702 Remote Touch-Screen Monitor, you can add various components building an elaborate CES that you control using the touch screen while still retaining your stock H/U and all of its functions.

You said you no longer play CDs, but keeping the stock H/U retains this option. You never know when your passenger for a road trip may show up with his/her CD wallet loaded with Meatloaf or Jimmy Buffet CDs. If you still have a CD player, you won’t disappoint them.

If you have the time, please post pics when you get your system installed. This would be interesting for many viewers here.

--Spike
Old 01-07-2009, 07:50 PM
JEKL

Hold on, are you implying that Meatloaf is not cool???

The more I look online the more I wonder if the V500 would serve my needs. I can't see why I would need the extra AV out considering there is no where else I would put another monitor and I see no reason I would need another USB. Other than that, I am not sure the V1000 is worth the extra money.

Now that you guys have got me headed down the right path, I am going to start picking up the different pieces when I find a good deal. And I will most certainly take pics along the way and post them. The least I can do is share that after all that has been shared with me. I just might not be getting around to this for a month or so. I travel 4-5 days a week and what little free time I have is with the family. Plus this is my weekend/nice weather car so I can afford the time to let it sit in the garage and work on it as time permits.

Thanks again guys!
Old 01-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Spike100

^^ Meatloaf is definitely cool. He’s managed to recreate himself at least two times (in movies and “Bat out of Hell”). It’s genius. Madonna is the only other entertainer to match this number of “re-creations” (she has done it 3+ times).

From what you say, the KOS V500 Controller is as much as you need. The KOS 1000 Controller is more appropriate for large SUV’s or vans where you want multiple A/V outputs to support rear passenger entertainment.

It appears you are busy with family (very important) and work. Please don’t take time away from these just to post some pics. But, if you do find the time, pics and installation descriptions would be great. There are members here interested in your project.

--Spike
Old 01-18-2009, 08:43 AM
JEKL

Ok, so here I what I have and ready to install:

Kenwood KOS-V1000
Kenwood KOS-L702
Kenwood KCA-iP300V
Audiovox CNP2000UC (Thanks Duke for correcting my original purchase list)
Audiovox CNPKEN1 (ditto)
SWI Jack

I took out the Center Console Bezel and removed the upper cubby. It looks like it is going to take a lot of fabrication to get the screen to fit and still have the cubby door work.

Here is where I need more of the forums expert advice. From all the pics I have seen, it looks like the '06 models with navigation do not have a cubby door. So would it not be easier and about the same cost of paying someone to fabricate this to purchase a navigation bezel? That way I could just place the L702 where the navi screen would go and it should look stock.

I found this one at Concept Performance for $220:

http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...265.190.243.76

The site says that it fits an 03-08 which has me a little confused considering I thought the '06+ are a different shade of black. I emailed them to get some clarity on that.

Of course I would still need to go out and find an OEM navigation finisher.

Thanks again for any help you can offer. Take care!

Last edited by JEKL; 01-18-2009 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Had to give props to Duke
Old 02-01-2009, 05:53 PM
JEKL

Here is where it stands right now. I still need the '06 Nav Finisher from my local salvage yard and I havent taken on the steering wheel controls yet. Thanks again to everyone that gave me advice on this and other threads.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:17 PM
THEDUKE

Looks good. The only thing I noticed is that I believe you are using hot glue to mount the monitor. If you are you might want to use plastic weld instead. Once it gets hot in your car and push on the monitor that hot glue will just let go. Plastic weld will hold no matter how hot it gets in your car. On a side note I hope you got a good deal on that monitor because I can tell by the serial number that who ever sold it to you sold you a remanufactured one. Just wanted to make sure someone did not pull a fast one on you.

Last edited by THEDUKE; 02-02-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:43 AM
JEKL

Thanks DUKE and great eye on both calls.

I started off using a little hot glue on each side to hold it while I looked at fabricating a piece to secure it to the screws in the bezel. After seeing how well it held place (while the outside temp was 50 degrees) I decided it was sufficient. But I now see what you mean. When I hook up the steering wheel controls I will take your advice.

When I looked at the price of the monitors and considered that I get maybe an hour a week usage out of the car, I went with the refurbished unit at $280. Having said that, watch it break this weekend!

Last edited by JEKL; 02-03-2009 at 05:47 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:02 PM
JEKL

So this weekend I connected the factory H/U to the KOS Controller so I can use its CD player. I have a Scosche reverse wire harness to carry the H/U speaker output to the Kenwood. Then I have a standard harness to carry the Kenwood speaker output to the OEM speakers. The standard harness also feeds the power (yellow), ignition (red) and illumination (orange) to the H/U and Kenwood. The H/U powers up fine and sends CD audio to the Kenwood as it should.

Here is my problem. The H/U display illuminates until I cut on the cars parking/head lights. Then it just goes blank and the buttons do not light up either. The Kenwood monitor does dim slightly when the exterior lights are cut on. The H/U lights worked fine before I put in the Kenwood pieces. I made sure that the orange wire coming from the harness does match up to the red/blue on the Nissan side. When I put a meter to it I get 12V when the lights are cut on.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:35 PM
tlohman81

i couldn't really tell from the pics, but did the new trim piece match the black on your original pieces ok?
Old 02-26-2009, 08:21 PM
JEKL

Yes it's an exact match. It is the same piece a Z with navigation would have.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:13 AM
midevilone

Default JEKL1000 want to sell your old bezel?

I bought a 350z 2 weeks ago, and am waiting on it to show up from AZ.

I'd like to get started on the fabrication.

Would you be wiling to sell me your old bezel for $20.

Spike, Duke, will his old bezel fit my 2005 Grand Touring Z Roadster?

e-mail me timothy (aaat) presidiostudios (DAT) com
Old 02-27-2009, 04:22 AM
JEKL

No thank you, I don't really need $20.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:41 AM
midevilone

Default thanks

ok, sorry, just figured if it was going in the trash I could make use of it....
Old 02-27-2009, 05:37 AM
JEKL

Well this isn't a Metra dash kit that costs $19.99 on eBay. If I want to go back to stock I need the bezel. So I'm not going to throw something away that would cost $200+ to replace. Besides that would leave me a cubby with no bezel.

Anyway, what are you trying to install?
Old 03-02-2009, 04:21 AM
midevilone

Sure no worries. I am putting an 8" Dynamix touchscreen in the Cubby, a Mac Mini in the rear Storage area, and This little gem to replace the stock radio...

3 reasons I selected this unit:
1. Bluetooth for my iphone
2. built in 11 Band EQ
3. I have used boss amps for years with great results, so I decided to give their HU a try.

I'll post a series of pics on the install if my Z ever gets here.

Quick Reply: Kenwood CarPortal Question