Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Step 2 of 3: Come up with final official PETITION for Bose Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 11:36 AM
swoobyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Finally got a response from Bose

Originally posted by Wedge
I sent multiple e-mails to the Bose Automotive group about the lack of bass in my "Premium Bose System"..........finally got a response ......on Sunday of all days........so it must have been a computer generated mass mailing to those who have complained via e-mail. Bose is stating that the '03 350Z Bose system does not meet their standards. Here is the body of the response from Bose:
That email has been received by many dozens of people for as far back as 6 months ago. The wording of the email makes you feel hopeful, but after 6 months nothing has come out of it (that we know of, and that is all that matters).

Another interesting item can be found in the "on line brocure" for the '04 Coupe Touring Model 350Z. When describing the available Bose System, Nissan calls it "a retuned Bose system" which is a subtle way of saying the '03 Bose system was not up to snuff:
I noticed that too. Other than being poor English, its also poor marketing. Marketing should have NEVER put that in there unless they were aware of a previous problem. Why the hell would marketing say that anything is "retuned" over the last version? We are NOT talking about an engine that they might have possibly squeezed a few more horsepower or quicker reaction time out of. We're talking about a stereo! Was there something wrong with the last version? Well, I own a 2003 model and, dammit, I want my stereo retuned too!

The phone number for Bose is listed above in the e-mail I pasted, the phone number for Nissan Consumer Affairs is 1-800-647-7261. Let's all call them on a regular basis until action is taken.
I personally do not think that everyone calling on a regular basis is going to do much good.
If we were calling an individual, such as a VP or CEO or something, that would be different.
I suspect that any calls to their Consumer Affairs department would get lost in red tape.
Not only would it get lost in red tape, but, most importantly, it would also show them that we are disorganized.

United we stand, divided we fall.

What we need are 1000+ signatures to send them to show them that we ARE getting organized and that they cannot ignore us for too much longer.
With a list of 1000+ signatures (with VIN, email, and phone) the next logical step to getting no reaction from them is a class-action lawsuit.
As individuals we would be crazy to sue them for the money we are talking about (let's assume the absolute max is $1,000).
As a group there is no question that a lawyer would take a case worth $1,000,000+...and that should scare them in to action.

We can easily get 1000 signatures, but we have to go beyond https://my350z.com!

We need to spread the words on other boards.
We need to tell every Touring owner about the petition.
We need to talk about it at Z Meets!
We need to remind people to write down their VIN number immediately so that they can fill out the form later (a reality I realized when one of my self-proclaimed lazy friends STILL hasn't signed the petition).

If there is anything about the petition process that I have set up that makes it difficult to sign, please let me know.
I hope that the most difficult part is actually getting the VIN # off of the car...and there is not much I can do about that...we need those VIN numbers.

Is the UI horrible? (can you offer a suggestion? code up your suggestion and mail it to me)
Is the URL confusing?
Do I look shady, as if I am going to abuse having all VINs and contact info on my machine? (I admit they are merely words, but I would absolutely never abuse this)

If you have any suggestions, comments ot problems, please let me know!

Spread the word!
http://www.swooby.com/z/stereo/petition/

Pv
Old 09-01-2003, 11:47 AM
swoobyz

Originally posted by stopgo
How 'bout something in the petition that addresses the fact that it isn't a Bose system we paid for...
I, personally, like the suggestion, but I do not think it would help much.
If we had a lawyer that wanted to tackle this angle in addition to everything else, then sure.
But, since we do not have a lawyer, I think it is best if we stick straight to the point.
The less we demand of them the better.

Simply put, we want them to 1) fix our problem and 2) alter how they continue to sell the existing Bose unit.
I do not think that insisting on a semantics game with the names "Bose" and "Clarion" would be fruitful, and I am sure that their lawyers are well prepared in the "false advertising" arena related to this.
Manufacturers do this sort of stuff all of the time, not just Nissan/Bose/Clarion.

Still, draft up your proposed wording and I'll consider adding it to the petition.
The problem with petitions is that once someone signs it I cannot alter it unless I get everyone's approval or I get them to resign it.
I would rather not lose people by spamming them with multiple "please approve" or "please sign again" requests.
I will add things to clarify my original points, but I will not add anything new to the petition without at least a majority approval.
So, I will save your proposal and add it to any others when it comes time for an update...if ever.

Pv

Last edited by swoobyz; 09-01-2003 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:55 PM
stopgo

PV,

Thanks for the acknowledgement. I agree that pursuing this as a 'false advertising' claim would probably cause more harm than good (and I don't wanna try navigating that through Nissan's legal office), and that altering the petition would certainly increase the workload you've taken upon yourself (for which you deserve many thanks).

Cheers,
Scott
Old 09-01-2003, 08:06 PM
swoobyz

Originally posted by stopgo
PV,
Thanks for the acknowledgement...
FYI: I've thought about it and I would more seriously consider adding it to the petition, but only if I know the true facts.
If someone can cite an official reference stating what roles Clarion and Bose had in the making of this stereo then I would have little problem adding those facts to the petition, or at least to the bottom of the page under "Supporting Evidence".

Pv
Old 09-02-2003, 03:52 AM
stopgo

Heck... just pull the dash out and you should find a big ol' Clarion label stuck to your HU. I didn't bother to write down any of the info on the label the last time I had the dash dismantled. Looks like a project for the weekend.

At least it'll give me some downtime from my G/F's endless honey-do list...

Scott