Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Step 2 of 3: Come up with final official PETITION for Bose Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 11:43 AM
swoobyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose PETITION (Step 2 of 3): Wording of the petition

104 out of 108 350Z Bose owners say that their Bose Audio System is of poor quality: PETITION for TSB to fix Bose Stereo problems

96.3%!!!
These are staggering statistics!

Us Bose owners need to work together a few more times to bring this to closure:
Step #1: Get a basic headcount (done)
Step #2: Come up with the wording for the official petition to Nissan and Bose (this thread)
Step #3: Sign the petition (a web site that I am setting up)

Below is my proposal for The Petition.
Three things concern me:
1) Is it worded strongly enough? I think I am almost TOO polite. I am referring mostly to THE COMPLAINT that is in quotes below.
2) We need a point of contact! If Nissan/Bose do anything, they will probably want to negotiate or settle this in some way, and we need a spokesman/spokeswoman. I would prefer to not do this myself. I would prefer that some lawyer, preferrably a lawyer that owns a Z, volunteer to help.
3) Do I adaquately mention the known, and supposedly remedied, Bose AudioPilot problem?

[BEGIN PETITION]

PETITION: Nissan/Bose to remedy generally poor sound quality of Bose Audio System in the Nissan 350Z

WHEREAS, the undersigned individuals shall be referred to as THE COMPLAINANTS; and

WHEREAS, THE COMPLAINANTS are owners of Nissan 350Z vehicles with the Bose Audio System; and

WHEREAS, The Bose Audio System is only available on the "Touring" model of the Nissan 350Z; and

WHEREAS, THE COMPLAINANTS were allowed no other audio system option in the "Touring" model; and

WHEREAS, THE COMPLAINANTS paid an additional/premium price for the "Touring" model (and thus the sound system); and

WHEREAS, This infers that the Bose Audio System is superior to the "Stock" audio system; and

WHEREAS, THE COMPLAINANTS were genuinely expecting an audio system that sounds better than the "Stock" audio system; and

WHEREAS, THE COMPLAINT [below] was not solved by the Bose "AudioPilot" problem addressed by Nissan Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) NTB02111 (http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissa...ssan/54181.asp).

NOW, THEREFORE, THE COMPLAINANTS are issuing the following as THE COMPLAINT to Nissan Motor Corporation and/or Bose Corporation:

THE COMPLAINT is:
"The sound quality of the Nissan 350Z's Bose Audio System is extremely poor and not as advertised, inferred, or as paid for."

THE COMPLAINANTS propose the following as THE REMEDY for THE COMPLAINT.
Both parts of THE REMEDY must be adopted.

REMEDY Part 1 (to directly compensate THE COMPLAINANTS):
1) Nissan will announce an official Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) indicating the problem with the GENERAL sound quality of ALL 350Z Bose Audio Systems
2) Nissan and/or Bose will disclose the true retail cost of the Bose sound system
3) Nissan and/or Bose will either:
3.1) Redesign and reinstall this system so that it performs as advertised and to the satisfaction of THE COMPLAINANTS
-or-
3.2) Credit THE COMPLAINANTS the FULL retail cost of the Bose Audio System (WHEREAS, the entire system would need to be replaced)

REMEDY Part 2 (to address current and future sales):
1) Nissan and/or Bose will STOP advertising, referring, or inferring that the EXISTING Bose Audio System is a premium and/or superior sound system.
2) Nissan and/or Bose will reduce the retail cost of 350Zs with the EXISTING Bose Audio System by the difference between the retail cost of the Bose Sound System and the retail cost of the Standard Sound System.

THE COMPLAINANTS request that THE COMPLAINT be acknowledged by Nissan Motor Corporation and/or Bose Corporation by September X, 2003.

Negotiations as to the terms of this petition must be made through the assigned representative of THE COMPLAINANTS.

Signed:

Full Name | ZIP | VIN | Address | Phone | Email
-----------------------------------------------

[END PETITION]

Please give me feedback and/or throw in your own ideas! Thanks!

Pv

Last edited by swoobyz; 08-30-2003 at 02:50 AM.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:55 PM
pates03

what's step 3?

i'll try to help even though i don't own one yet....

also i just thought of since i'll probably get a 03' version, will it help me in getting the car for a lot cheaper? just a thought..
Old 08-29-2003, 08:35 PM
oaktown350

I like the petition. It's a good first step but I'm more on the line of a class-action suit though. I'll be talking to my lawyer this weekend. If keep you all up to date.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:49 PM
tanakaZ

Q about Remedy 3.1 and 3.2. 3.0 states "either"
Who gets to decide? I've already replaced the piece of cr*p and if Nissan/Bose does decide to remedy this, I don't want anything that Bose comes up with.

Compen$ation is what I want!
Old 08-29-2003, 09:29 PM
sschmuve

Remedy 2 doesn't seem to help current owners. I think the remedies should be combined into one. Thank you for taking the time and effort to do this. It's greatly appreciated
Old 08-30-2003, 01:48 AM
DMONTE

Originally posted by sschmuve
Remedy 2 doesn't seem to help current owners. I think the remedies should be combined into one. Thank you for taking the time and effort to do this. It's greatly appreciated

I believe number 2 is meant to set a value if there is to be a monetary compensation.
Old 08-30-2003, 02:41 AM
swoobyz

Originally posted by oaktown350
I like the petition. It's a good first step but I'm more on the line of a class-action suit though. I'll be talking to my lawyer this weekend. If keep you all up to date.
Honestly, I would not expect Nissan/Bose to compensate us more than $500 or so...maybe as much as $1000, but I doubt it...most likely near or below the $500 range.

FWIW: A class-action lawsuit is VERY difficult to push through.
According to http://www.nissannews.com, 35,000 350Zs have been sold (as of July 2003 sales figures).
How many of those are Tourings?
How many of those have owners that are dissatisfied with the Bose Audio System and are willing to do something about it?
How many are on this message board?!?!?
Conservatively, let say the answer all but the last question is "30%".
That's 3150.
How are we going to get in touch with them?

Pv
Old 08-30-2003, 02:48 AM
swoobyz

Originally posted by tanakaZ
Q about Remedy 3.1 and 3.2. 3.0 states "either"
Who gets to decide? I've already replaced the piece of cr*p and if Nissan/Bose does decide to remedy this, I don't want anything that Bose comes up with.

Compen$ation is what I want!
Those sort of options are always up to the manufacturer.
Even if the thing had a lifetime satisfaction gurantee they would probably still have the same option: repair or replace (or refund).
Hopefully they will see that it is a lot more cost effective to just refund us a few hundred dollars.

I don't know how it will actually work, but I wouldn't be surprised if replacing the stereo forfeits your right to complain.

Pv
Old 08-30-2003, 02:49 AM
swoobyz

Originally posted by DMONTE
I believe number 2 is meant to set a value if there is to be a monetary compensation.
Yes, I have updated the wording with something that is a bit more clear.
Let me know if it still needs improvement.

Pv
Old 08-30-2003, 02:53 AM
swoobyz

Originally posted by pates03
what's step 3?
Like my post says: Sign the petition on a web site
The petition will not be ready to sign until the wording is deemed acceptable.

Originally posted by pates03
i'll try to help even though i don't own one yet....
also i just thought of since i'll probably get a 03' version, will it help me in getting the car for a lot cheaper? just a thought..
Only 350Z Touring owners with a VIN number will be allowed to sign the petition.

Pv
Old 08-30-2003, 03:03 AM
DMONTE

Originally posted by swoobyz
Honestly, I would not expect Nissan/Bose to compensate us more than $500 or so...maybe as much as $1000, but I doubt it...most likely near or below the $500 range.

FWIW: A class-action lawsuit is VERY difficult to push through.
According to http://www.nissannews.com, 35,000 350Zs
Pv

What about pain and suffering ? it sure is a pain and and I am suffering
Old 08-30-2003, 02:13 PM
swoobyz

Originally posted by DMONTE
What about pain and suffering ? it sure is a pain and and I am suffering

OK, the petition is up and running on my site.

A few warnings:
1) I am still putting the finishing touches on the code that runs the page
2) I am still putting the finishing touches on the wording of the petition.

Things should work, but please let me know if you have any problems, questions, or suggestions.

The Nissan/Bose petition can be found at:

http://www.swooby.com/z/stereo/petition/

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT THIS URL!

Thank you

Pv

Last edited by swoobyz; 08-30-2003 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:18 PM
oaktown350

FYI: I got a JS error on submit. But my info still went thru. Thanks for putting up the petition.
Old 08-31-2003, 08:10 AM
MacGuru

I've registered and had no problems.
Running Mac OS X and Safari browser.

Thanks. -m
Old 08-31-2003, 08:34 AM
SungNamZ

Might suggest you look at post on 350ZForum.com dated 8/30/2003 by "Z Best" reference response he received from Bose.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:55 AM
DMONTE

Originally posted by Ron Keller
Might suggest you look at post on 350ZForum.com dated 8/30/2003 by "Z Best" reference response he received from Bose.

That is the same generic response Patty has been e-mailing out to everyone for over six months now.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:45 AM
swoobyz

Originally posted by Ron Keller
I am not a member of 350ZForum.com, but I can still check them out and at least inform people of the petition.

...unless someone else wants to do that! (hint hint)

Thanks.

Pv
Old 08-31-2003, 04:00 PM
sschmuve

Just signed...I hope this works.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:56 PM
stopgo

Great stuff ya put together here, PV.

How 'bout something in the petition that addresses the fact that it isn't a Bose system we paid for, rather a rebadged Clarion unit with a handful of Bose components strung to it. Though I don't think this constitutes fraud, it is certainly deceptive to some degree, and might help force Nissan's hand in addressing the problem.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:57 PM
Wedge

Default Finally got a response from Bose

I sent multiple e-mails to the Bose Automotive group about the lack of bass in my "Premium Bose System"..........finally got a response ......on Sunday of all days........so it must have been a computer generated mass mailing to those who have complained via e-mail. Bose is stating that the '03 350Z Bose system does not meet their standards. Here is the body of the response from Bose:

Thank you for your inquiry. Bose Coporation has acknowledged the factory installed system is not performing to specification in the 2003 Nissan 350Z. We have been working with Nissan Motor Corporation to resolve this issue.

We will forward any information as soon as it is available. We apologize for the inconvenience this situation has caused.

Thank you for choosing Bose Corporation.
Patty Bolack
Consumer Relations Division
-----------------------------------------------------
Bose Corporation
US Telephone: (800)231-2673
International Tel: (508)766-6699
Fax Number: (508)879-2043
Email: http://www.bose.com/contact_us/

Office Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (EST)
Visit our Website: www.bose.com
-----------------------------------------------------

Another interesting item can be found in the "on line brocure" for the '04 Coupe Touring Model 350Z. When describing the available Bose System, Nissan calls it "a retuned Bose system" which is a subtle way of saying the '03 Bose system was not up to snuff:

Bose® Audio System

New for 2004 in Z® is a retuned Bose® audio, system with an in-dash 6-CD feed-the-meter changer. All pumped through seven speakers, including a 10" subwoofer, that were precisely positioned by Bose to assure the truest, fullest sound.

These two items, when added together, tell me that with a little push we may get some action.

The phone number for Bose is listed above in the e-mail I pasted, the phone number for Nissan Consumer Affairs is 1-800-647-7261. Let's all call them on a regular basis until action is taken.

Wedge

Quick Reply: Step 2 of 3: Come up with final official PETITION for Bose Audio System