Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

..Do I really need a sub?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009 | 08:19 PM
dingobiatch

Default ..Do I really need a sub?

I have an '06 non-bose non-navi coupe, and I was set on getting a headunit and maybe new speakers only (no need for rears though, is that true?).

My reasoning for not getting a sub is that I don't really listen to bass heavy music (No rap, for example). Also, I hate car sound systems that have so much bass that you can't hear much else. And I hate it when the sub makes car parts rattle (I'm not sure if that happens with the Z).

But I keep hearing that I'll be missing out on so much low-end if I don't get one. If I do get one, I'll have to get an amp too though, correct?
Old 01-17-2009 | 08:27 PM
Get_Zwole

If your looking for good soundquality i think you need a sub. Nothing bit an 8 or 10 will be fine. I hate rap mainly and all heavy bass music. I hardly turn my sub up just enough to blend well and give me the sub 80hz frequencies.

And rear speakers are not needed. When your at a concert they dont sing from behind lol.
Old 01-17-2009 | 08:45 PM
dingobiatch

So I will need an amp? Could someone recommend one if so? Also, could I fit an 8" and amp properly in the cubby behind the driver's seat? (the sealed area) I don't want to use up trunk space.
Old 01-17-2009 | 08:49 PM
orgasm_donor

Lets put it this way.....do you like how cheap earbud headphones sound? Do you think they really re-create exactly what the artist was trying to record for you - the consumer? When you go to a concert, those massive black bins produce bass (bass guitar, kick drum bass and synthesized bass). If they took those away, would you still pay $86 to see Radiohead? I know that I wouldn't. The music would sound terrible.

Same goes for the car. I think its either all or nothing. I Either rip out the stereo and listen to the beautiful sound of my RS-R Exmag exhaust or install a great sounding stereo that will massage my ears like a cheap Taiwanese hooker. I prefer music really...most of the time.
Old 01-17-2009 | 08:50 PM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by orgasm_donor
Lets put it this way.....do you like how cheap earbud headphones sound? Do you think they really re-create exactly what the artist was trying to record for you - the consumer? When you go to a concert, those massive black bins produce bass (bass guitar, kick drum bass and synthesized bass). If they took those away, would you still pay $86 to see Radiohead? I know that I wouldn't. The music would sound terrible.

Same goes for the car. I think its either all or nothing. I Either rip out the stereo and listen to the beautiful sound of my RS-R Exmag exhaust or install a great sounding stereo that will massage my ears like a cheap Taiwanese hooker. I prefer music really...most of the time.
love it and couldnt agree more.
Old 01-17-2009 | 09:38 PM
04zee
Banned

Originally Posted by orgasm_donor

Couldnt have said it better myself.
Old 01-18-2009 | 06:20 AM
inovativ

Do you need a sub? It all depends on how much bass your looking for. I'm sure a "true audiophile" would me tell me (and you) we need to replace everything. But, after reading tons of reviews and postings on this thread, I discovered a setup that works for my ears and music tastes.

I recently installed Focal Audio 6.5 coaxial speakers in the front and rear locations being pushed by the factory unit and an Alpine PDX-5. It's very true that you don't need the rears. I have gain turned way down on the rears and the crossover point set to high pass at about 150hz.

The front speakers put out a generous amount of bass, but they start to crap out at really high volumes and lower frequencies. I used this non-sub setup for about two weeks, because I was waiting for a custom sub enclosure to be built for the stock location. The sound was good at normal volume levels.

Bottom line, you don't have to have a sub, but adding one will make your system sound fuller and more accurate. BTW, I have the exact same car as you.
Old 02-07-2009 | 07:29 PM
nawgee

Originally Posted by dingobiatch
I have an '06 non-bose non-navi coupe, and I was set on getting a headunit and maybe new speakers only (no need for rears though, is that true?).

My reasoning for not getting a sub is that I don't really listen to bass heavy music (No rap, for example). Also, I hate car sound systems that have so much bass that you can't hear much else. And I hate it when the sub makes car parts rattle (I'm not sure if that happens with the Z).

But I keep hearing that I'll be missing out on so much low-end if I don't get one. If I do get one, I'll have to get an amp too though, correct?
Does this happen to other Zs that have subs in their cars.
Old 02-07-2009 | 07:46 PM
davidv

Hell yes and the bigger the better!

Last edited by davidv; 02-07-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2009 | 02:51 PM
Spike100

I agree with the statements that a SubW provides better sound, even in the tight space inside a car. I have expensive fronts (Focal), and although they provide great bass, there is no way a small speaker can reproduce the lows that are part of modern sound recordings.

--Spike