Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Service Engine light, after Amp Install.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 04:17 PM
lottness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Engine light, after Amp Install.

As the title states I just installed an Amp on my 350 for my rear subs. I had it all wired up and tested it last night and all was good. Today I put all the panels back together and everything worked as it should, except now I noticed the that Service Engine Light stays on. I looked at the manual and it basically states that if it stays on steady its usually and emissions problem and to check the gas cap to see if it loose. So i checked the cap and that wasnt it. It also states that if there is no emission related problems that the light should go out after a few trips of driving it around.
Well I have taken it on a few trips and the light is still on. Only thing i can think of is possibly that my pop charger needs to be cleaned after sitting around not being driven too much for the past 6 months. (Just got back from Iraq just over a week ago. So tomorrow ill try cleaning it and see what that does if anything. If that dont do it then I suppose ill take it to the dealer, but i just wanted to see if anyone else here has had a problem like this before after doing electrical work on the Z. Any input you guys might have will be helpful.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2009, 05:24 PM
adamtaylorpcb

where did you put the amp?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:37 PM
lottness

I bought a sub box w/ amp rack that goes under the strut bar. After searching some more it looks like this is something that has happend to other people that have had their battery disconected for some time, so that could be it i might just need to reset it. As i said before everything was fine, just had a oil change last week so i guess ill see if i can have it reset.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:04 PM
adamtaylorpcb

reset it yourself, just drain the charge in the car

i was making sure you didnt mount it in the cubby behind the drivers seat, ive heard of people trying to mount them and drilling into their gas tank like idiots
Old 01-21-2009, 06:23 PM
rtiid22

Just borrow one of those obd2 code readers from advanced auto parts, plug it up under the driver side of the car and read the code..

Happened to me after pulling out my radio and a bad ground threw off the check engine light.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:07 PM
lottness

DOH! ok well now you got me thinking. So i reset it myself and the light went out. Been driving just fine no problems what so ever. Now i know i buttoned up everything securely, taped up all the wires and double checked that evertyhing was good. But for ***** and giggles say it was a bad ground, since i reset the code, and if the bad ground still exists would the "Service Engine Soon" light again?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:02 PM
rtiid22

Originally Posted by lottness
DOH! ok well now you got me thinking. So i reset it myself and the light went out. Been driving just fine no problems what so ever. Now i know i buttoned up everything securely, taped up all the wires and double checked that evertyhing was good. But for ***** and giggles say it was a bad ground, since i reset the code, and if the bad ground still exists would the "Service Engine Soon" light again?
Probably.. but if it does, check the code.. that way you'll definitly know what's going on.