Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Key Remote [ short range ]

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009 | 09:48 AM
350Z_NOW

Thumbs down Key Remote [ short range ]

I have 2 factory sets of keys and remotes I think we all do. I noticed both of the remotes has only short range to activate lock/unlock keyless entry about 25ft. which I think is really limited distance. What I did to try to solve it, I changed the batteries on both and it did the same thing.

What could be wrong here? I did try using my chin+remote and it obviously worked but I look stupid around the parking lot.

car year: 2003

thanks guys!

Last edited by 350Z_NOW; 01-21-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-21-2009 | 09:52 AM
Entaille

get a nice alarm system, mine has a 1 mile range.
Old 01-21-2009 | 09:54 AM
350Z_NOW

hmmm... not a bad idea, thanks
Old 01-21-2009 | 09:57 PM
rsxscrazy

I just installed a viper 5901 in my 350 and love it alarm/starter 1 mile range!!!
Old 01-22-2009 | 12:56 PM
kenpo_350Z

Hold the remote up to your head and push the button, it works!
Old 01-22-2009 | 04:39 PM
RedLine 350z

Originally Posted by kenpo_350Z
That usually work. Not sure if that is a myth or not.

BTW Kenpo, I haven't met you yet. How does your Z compare to your S2k? Maybe we should have a meet one day.
Old 01-22-2009 | 09:01 PM
350Z_NOW

Originally Posted by kenpo_350Z
I mentioned that above. it looks stupid though eh?
Old 01-22-2009 | 10:05 PM
T_K

Originally Posted by 350Z_NOW
I mentioned that above. it looks stupid though eh?
Can't open the door until you are standing next to the car so what reason is there to have the door unlocked from a 100 meters out. Just remember to lock it as your walking away. If someone needs you to unlock the car, hand them the second key fob and make them walk.

TK
Old 01-22-2009 | 10:25 PM
B5I8

Originally Posted by T_K
Can't open the door until you are standing next to the car so what reason is there to have the door unlocked from a 100 meters out. Just remember to lock it as your walking away. If someone needs you to unlock the car, hand them the second key fob and make them walk.

TK
I'd have to agree with that. The only advantage I see for a long range remote is when you have remote start. It comes in handy to start my car from a mile away and have it all warmed up when I get there.
Old 01-23-2009 | 12:27 AM
350Z_NOW

I will disagree with both of you, strongly. First, not all situations are the same, I could have my friend closer to the car coming from a different direction carrying a heavy bag to put in the trunk and me on the other side with the remote [now what?] open your mind to other happenings... Second, when I can only unlock the car when I get close to it, I might as well not use the remote, right? exactly...

What comes to your mind when you think of remote,alarm,keyless etc. (thinking.... I can lock/unlock this car from far away...) <<<< this is what should come to your mind if you are human.

That is why they made the remote so you can walk away and lock it, you can walk towards it and unlock it.

YOU DON'T GO CLOSE TO YOUR TV AND THEN TURN IT ON, YOU REACH FOR THE REMOTE AND LAY OR SIT DOWN THEN TURN IT ON...[right???]

So you two are saying that you would actually get the remote then get close to the TV and turn it on [wow...] picture that?

What do I think about remote start? I think it's straight stupid, yeah I said it and about handing the 2nd key fob... who the hell will carry 2 of the same keys with them??? WTF???

I'm right, I know it.

Yeah you can start your car from a mile away, but you won't drive it until you're in the car.

remote start = some one is watching, so don't turn your head away from your car.

Last edited by 350Z_NOW; 01-23-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-23-2009 | 05:51 AM
RedLine 350z

I totally agree with 350zNow about the remote start thing. I'm sure they make it for manual cars, but if not, the car would jump through a wall if it's in gear. In my case, I have no use for one because I enjoy sitting my Z and turning my key in the ignition and hearing the roar of the engine and motor as it wakes up for the morning.
Old 01-23-2009 | 06:34 AM
Entaille

remote start is smarter then you think it is. the doors stay locked. if any sensors are bumped, hood or trunk popped, glass broken etc, it will shut off. if for some stupid *** reason you unlock it while it's remote started, they have to physically put the key in and put it in the on position for the car to be drivable, it will shut off if anything else happens. if they have a key the car is theirs anyways : P

it's safe. very handy for the colder areas, saves me 10 mins of defrosting in the morning, which is usually miserable sitting there shivering and waiting.
Old 01-23-2009 | 08:34 AM
B5I8

I will disagree with both of you, strongly. First, not all situations are the same, I could have my friend closer to the car coming from a different direction carrying a heavy bag to put in the trunk and me on the other side with the remote [now what?] open your mind to other happenings... Second, when I can only unlock the car when I get close to it, I might as well not use the remote, right? exactly...

What comes to your mind when you think of remote,alarm,keyless etc. (thinking.... I can lock/unlock this car from far away...) <<<< this is what should come to your mind if you are human.

That is why they made the remote so you can walk away and lock it, you can walk towards it and unlock it.

YOU DON'T GO CLOSE TO YOUR TV AND THEN TURN IT ON, YOU REACH FOR THE REMOTE AND LAY OR SIT DOWN THEN TURN IT ON...[right???]

So you two are saying that you would actually get the remote then get close to the TV and turn it on [wow...] picture that?

What do I think about remote start? I think it's straight stupid, yeah I said it and about handing the 2nd key fob... who the hell will carry 2 of the same keys with them??? WTF???

I'm right, I know it.

Yeah you can start your car from a mile away, but you won't drive it until you're in the car.

remote start = some one is watching, so don't turn your head away from your car.
I don't need to be any further than 25 feet from my car to unlock it which is the range you say you have now. As for the remote start, you are very uninformed and you'll probably stay that way seeing how ignorant you are so I'll just leave it at that.
Old 01-23-2009 | 10:36 AM
350Z_NOW

It sounds really funny when someone that is ignorant tells someone else how ignorant he is.

It's a remote issue .... I'm done here...
Old 01-23-2009 | 07:51 PM
T_K

I'm right, I know it.

You can't open the hatch without a free hand even if its popped. Your said friend, prior to you reaching the car, would need to place said heavy bag down on the floor, or find some way to unload at least 1 hand to pull the hatch open, or to open the door.

The keyfob is a method of, get this, keyless entry (go back and read that one more time). Guess what, it serves its function 100% whether its range is 1 meter or 100 meters.

As for your TV analogy, come on, 2 separate unrelated threads, 2 separate analogies, both making no sense. You're 0-2. Let me clarify...

One has to be in range for the TV remote to work. Keywords selected in bold.

TK
Old 01-23-2009 | 11:06 PM
orgasm_donor

I read some of this thread then skimmed past the sillyness.

A lot of people LOVE remote start - especially me. Why? Because when it is 20 degrees outside my ********* feel like frozen glass orbs when I sit down in my car. Now I just start 'er up and wait 7-8 minutes and 'voila' she is warm and cozy! Same with the summertime when its 90+ degrees outside and I need to cool my leather seats down before I burn a hole through my choda.

Paging alarms...any good? Oh hell yeah! Its like my car is my child and its talking to me letting me know that she is safe and sound - or is being raped by a crack addict with a penchant for change steeling and deck removal. Its a great peace of mind and when installed properly, you will always be informed accurately as to what is going on with your ride.

My alarm of choice? Compustar. Some people like Viper, some people like Autopage and some people like factory because they enjoy inaccurate and sh!tty 'security'. It should also be said that your alarm is only as secure and as effective as its install! Pay to get the thing installed by a pro. Butt connectors and T-taps? No way - make sure all connections are soldered!