Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Best Bang [ speaker upgrade ]

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:31 PM
350Z_NOW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Bang [ speaker upgrade ]

I want to change my speakers with aftermarket speakers. Straight to the point, what is the best bang for a buck with speakers? Something you would recommend and use yourself. Name brands.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:35 PM
SilverSpear

The best known speakers to me are CDT's with 1" silk tweeters. But that is questionable if they fit in the front. I have them in my subaru.

Here you go, the offer of the century!!!

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=5207

Last edited by SilverSpear; 01-21-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:06 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speakers, like pizzas and women, come in all different flavors and your personal preference ought to be the determining factor on what you listen to for the next few years - not what I like, not what your buddy has (unless you like the way his sound), or not what some "golden ear" reviewer recommends. Sorry but the only way to really pick a speaker is by taking your behind, and a sample of your music, to the store and listening. You can also listen to your music in a friend's car to sample the sound too.

When comparing speakers they really have to be side-by-side with the same music, head end (eq settings), and room acoustics. When I was in the business 30 years ago (dang) I had an A-B-X system where with a remote you could set up a system and then A/B between any two components to see what the difference was. The X setting would randomly pick A or B and mask that selection until you hit the reveal button and it would then tell you what you were listening too. This removed the name brand bias from the judgment.

For what it's worth I like progressive rock, pepperoni and sausage, Asian, and MartinLogan/SVS speakers.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:11 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have JLs in the front and I just realized this last summer after having my car for a year that my rear speakers don't work. They're great and I plan on getting the same thing for the rear speakers as well.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Get_Zwole

when your at a concert do they perform behind you as well? In a two seater theres no point in having rear speakers. In a sedan maybe just so the backseat riders can hear thats it.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:17 AM
SilverSpear

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
when your at a concert do they perform behind you as well? In a two seater theres no point in having rear speakers. In a sedan maybe just so the backseat riders can hear thats it.
Correct!!
Old 01-22-2009, 08:50 PM
350Z_NOW

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
Speakers, like pizzas and women, come in all different flavors and your personal preference ought to be the determining factor on what you listen to for the next few years - not what I like, not what your buddy has (unless you like the way his sound), or not what some "golden ear" reviewer recommends. Sorry but the only way to really pick a speaker is by taking your behind, and a sample of your music, to the store and listening. You can also listen to your music in a friend's car to sample the sound too.

When comparing speakers they really have to be side-by-side with the same music, head end (eq settings), and room acoustics. When I was in the business 30 years ago (dang) I had an A-B-X system where with a remote you could set up a system and then A/B between any two components to see what the difference was. The X setting would randomly pick A or B and mask that selection until you hit the reveal button and it would then tell you what you were listening too. This removed the name brand bias from the judgment.

For what it's worth I like progressive rock, pepperoni and sausage, Asian, and MartinLogan/SVS speakers.
I don't need this. a simple jl,rockford,infinty,pioneer and such... would have been more helpful. pizza, pepperoni, sausage...... WTF? business 30 years ago? i asked for a magazine not the whole library...

Last edited by 350Z_NOW; 01-22-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:00 PM
350Z_NOW

Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Correct!!
I respect your beliefs, but in reality...concerts are LIVE that's why we go to the event to see and hear it LIVE, it's different with car speakers... Engineers that design cars put multiple speakers... I "personally" think deleting rear speakers is odd...
Old 01-22-2009, 09:21 PM
B5I8

What would really help is if you gave a price range. I could say that I think the Seas Lotus Reference are "the best bang for a buck" speakers but they may be completely out of your budget at a retail price of $1680. As far as "engineers that design cars put multiple speakers", those engineers design cars not sound systems. Go to any SQ competition and I doubt you'll find any winning setup using rear-fill.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:56 PM
T_K

Originally Posted by 350Z_NOW
I respect your beliefs, but in reality...concerts are LIVE that's why we go to the event to see and hear it LIVE, it's different with car speakers... Engineers that design cars put multiple speakers... I "personally" think deleting rear speakers is odd...
In reality, most concerts use some sort of amplification to the signal, and channel it through a loud speaker. That speaker is then strategically placed in front of you.

TK
Old 01-23-2009, 12:51 AM
350Z_NOW

Originally Posted by B5I8
What would really help is if you gave a price range. I could say that I think the Seas Lotus Reference are "the best bang for a buck" speakers but they may be completely out of your budget at a retail price of $1680. As far as "engineers that design cars put multiple speakers", those engineers design cars not sound systems. Go to any SQ competition and I doubt you'll find any winning setup using rear-fill.
what part of best bang for a buck don't you get? you're throwing me $1680/speakers. i mean wtf dude? by the way that price is not out of my budget believe me, i just think it didn't make any sense what you stated. I think your reference is completely a lack of intelligence.

I don't go to sound competition.....if I did I wouldn't have made this thread, right?

I mentioned engineer(s) meaning more than one of each specific departments. exterior,interior,"audio"-hello?,engine,suspension, etc. engineers....

Last edited by 350Z_NOW; 01-23-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:06 AM
350Z_NOW

Originally Posted by T_K
In reality, most concerts use some sort of amplification to the signal, and channel it through a loud speaker. That speaker is then strategically placed in front of you.

TK
Concerts means "special event" something that doesn't happen often, usually have tours/date. I obviously don't care about replicating the sound of a concert and transferring it in my car audio.

This is how your issue is turning out....

It's like you're saying for instance, I like going to a local race track, do some laps and such... In JGTC they are completely modded with race tires, race wheels, helmets, roll cage, engine, suspension, aerodynamic, rigidness etc.

In reality this is everyday drive with great sounding speakers. Concert is another thing, and so is JGTC....
Old 01-23-2009, 03:45 AM
KManZ
Banned

Sony Xplode 6.5". Best bang for your buck.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:50 AM
T_K

Concerts means "special event" something that doesn't happen often, usually have tours/date. I obviously don't care about replicating the sound of a concert and transferring it in my car audio.

This is how your issue is turning out....

It's like you're saying for instance, I like going to a local race track, do some laps and such... In JGTC they are completely modded with race tires, race wheels, helmets, roll cage, engine, suspension, aerodynamic, rigidness etc.

In reality this is everyday drive with great sounding speakers. Concert is another thing, and so is JGTC....
First and foremost, you shouldn't go around insulting other peoples posts who are genuinely trying to help you. I'm not talking about me, my post was meant to be a bit edgy, but the previous one with reference to the Seas Lotus.

Secondly, your analogy makes no sense. Prior to the existence of recorded sound, the only way to listen to any type of music was through a live performance. The acoustical engineers of the day designed the stages/halls in a way to project the sound towards the listeners. As a listener the sound was always made to be coming from in front of you.

I suggest if you want to last on this forum, you clean up your attitude towards other people. With a join date of less than a month, you won't make many friends with that type of persona.

TK
Old 01-23-2009, 08:32 AM
KManZ
Banned

I obviously don't care about replicating the sound of a concert and transferring it in my car audio.
Then what do you care about? Having your stereo sound like ****? Because it will if you blatantly shrug off basic install principles. But yeah, just get some budget priced speakers, forget about crossovers, sound staging, speaker phase, time correction, and gain settings, and then come back and tell us how it sounds.

Sony Xplodes, by the way, are the BEST. I run 4 in my Z.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:41 AM
B5I8

what part of best bang for a buck don't you get? you're throwing me $1680/speakers. i mean wtf dude? by the way that price is not out of my budget believe me, i just think it didn't make any sense what you stated. I think your reference is completely a lack of intelligence.

I don't go to sound competition.....if I did I wouldn't have made this thread, right?

I mentioned engineer(s) meaning more than one of each specific departments. exterior,interior,"audio"-hello?,engine,suspension, etc. engineers....
In my opinion the Seas are the best bang for a buck because of the fact that they sound better than many sets of speakers costing more than that. "Best bang for a buck" has a different meaning for everyone and your definition is obviously what's the cheapest thing you can put in your car. With the attitude you have I'm sure you'll get a lot of help on these boards.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Get_Zwole

You do understand that the rear speakers in the Z are in about the worst spot they could be. Hitting directly into the headrest. Nissan did this basically so they could say 7 speaker bose system etc. No its not really any different with car speakers then a concert. Only reason rear speakers are needed are for rear passengers and we dont have to worry about that.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Goin' Sidewayz!

Get an Alpine
Old 01-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Get_Zwole

So lets see here, you can spend the money on front components have them installed and have a good sounding stereo, or you can spend less on your components and spend money on rear fill so that your stereo wont sound as good as the first. You sir make alot of sense. You obviously dont know what your talking about but like to think you do.

You should change your attitude towards people that are trying to help you. There is no best bang for buck speaker. I could love a speaker and the way it sounds and you may hate it. Its purely subjective.

Go to your local best buy and find some cheap components and buy them have them install the speakers into your car and forget it.

Last edited by Get_Zwole; 01-23-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:32 AM
350Z_NOW

I only release attitude to those who deserves it. Read their messages. I'm done here. By the way I do like the rear speakers- Done.......

Quick Reply: Best Bang [ speaker upgrade ]