Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

My Amp Rack in Stock Bose location

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:15 AM
ninor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you have to pay twice for Imprint or only once? I think I read on crutchfield that they send the unit out to you for free if you install your speakers in new car or something (which you could say I guess).

As far as the difference between 150 and 300... I am not sure but I heard them at 300 per side and they sound amazing.. they were ran off of JL HD600/4 though.. which is a pretty nice amp (not saying that PDX isn't). I will try them at 200 watts to start with and then go up to 250 or 300. I know 300 sounds a lot for speakers that are rated at 100 RMS but I know at least 2-3 people that have been giving them 300 watts for a while and they had no problems with them.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:22 AM
savvy

haha the exact same thing I used. It works damn well for very little money.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:01 AM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by savvy
haha the exact same thing I used. It works damn well for very little money.
The only thing which might be cause for concern is if the straps in the front start to sag downward over time. I wonder if the is some additional reinforcing we could do to prevent that from occurring. Maybe find a way to drop the straps from the ceiling of that sub area..
Old 02-25-2009, 10:06 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could probably add a piece of styrofoam underneath the rack. Relieves the stress from the straps in case your car takes a jolt from a pot hole. I imagine the aluminum frame in front will bend over time as well.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:08 AM
ninor

hmmm or you could always get thicker brackets which they also sell at home depot... but those brackets would be PITA to bend so i'm sure you need some commercial tool to bend it at a good angle..
Old 02-25-2009, 10:14 AM
ninor

Oh by the way... rather than using washers to tighten the bolts to the brackets... I used Rammat which will eliminate the rattles of the brackets and bolts
Old 02-26-2009, 03:58 AM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
You could probably add a piece of styrofoam underneath the rack. Relieves the stress from the straps in case your car takes a jolt from a pot hole. I imagine the aluminum frame in front will bend over time as well.
I actually considered this yesterday, as we are throwing out some boxes here at work that have some nice foam pieces. I am going to go look if they are still waiting for the trash man.

As for the aluminum frame, I have noticed it starting to lose it's shape and bend. May have to compress some foam and place it under those braces.

Originally Posted by ninor
hmmm or you could always get thicker brackets which they also sell at home depot... but those brackets would be PITA to bend so i'm sure you need some commercial tool to bend it at a good angle..
In my last install a few months back, I bought the thicker straps, and yes, they were too hard to bend I was thinking of maybe finding an extra long strap and running it from the hanging bolts, all the way under across the length of the MDF, and attach them to the front. Basically one long continuous strap.

Originally Posted by ninor
Oh by the way... rather than using washers to tighten the bolts to the brackets... I used Rammat which will eliminate the rattles of the brackets and bolts
Good idea, one of mine is rattling like crazy. It's actually loose though, so tightening it up will eliminate the creaking.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:07 AM
KManZ
Banned

Default Amp Rack Measurements

in case anyone still needs the measurements of my amp rack, CLICK HERE. I actually made a thread back last year when I was building my rack , so just do a title search for "Amp rack" and it will come up. There is some great info in that thread too.
This thread has more up to date pictures though.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:44 AM
ninor

One long continuous strap sounds like a great idea... along with applying layer of sound deadener between the MDF and the strap... I can get measurements of my rack too.. but after I start working on it it was really easy to figure out how big it has to be. I just hope it doesn't rattle

Oh by the way... I looked up the stock bose speaker grille and it was $36 on some website... it'd be cool to get one to get some ventilation to the amps if they start getting overheated.