Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Alpine navigation wiring diagram plus photos

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 07:37 PM
qirex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Two things...

Originally posted by sparky3Z
The parking brake just makes a connection to ground when you pull it. If you look at the diagram I posted (see link in my first post) you will see the "parking brake" wire is simply attached to a ground point bypassing the brake.

This works fine for me although I haven't yet attempted to connect another video input to the monitor.

There is a second little wire that one might miss. It comes in a little plastic bag with a warning label. It simply connects an unused pin on the navigation unit harness to ground. (See diagram) This allows viewing "in the rear seat" while the car is moving. Without this wire, it seems the car has to be stopped to see video.

niiiiiiche!!

If i dont have the "wire" can i make a new one??
Old 09-16-2003, 09:45 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent installation sparky3Z!

And that connection diagram is outstanding. What a great tool that is going to be for those that follow.

I need to add a on/off switch for my computer set-up like you have, since my computer boots from standby mode whenever I start my car. I was hoping to find a switch that matches the other interior switches, and mount it in one of the provisions I have on the dash (where I imagine the VDC would be). Did you look into finding any switches like that?
Old 09-16-2003, 10:15 PM
sparky3Z

Default qirex

I suppose you could rig one up. One end of the wire has a female metal pin that you push into the empty hole #10 in the harness connector. It snaps into place. You would have to find a similar female pin that would fit snugly to the male pin on the video controller.

The other end of the 6" wire is bare.

There was an extension harness that came with everything. I can't remember if it was for the navigation unit or the video controller. Perhaps you could pirate a female pin from it or some other unused harness.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:27 PM
sparky3Z

Default Scafremon

Thanks for the kind words.

I did not consider using a switch like the VDC switch, but it's a good idea. You could order a replacement VDC switch and sand (?) off the letters so it's blank. Or you could put a small label of your own over the letters. That switch could then be installed in the blank spot between the seat heater switches or in the dash like you said if you don't have VDC.

One problem with the console location is you might hit the switch with your elbow and accidentally turn the computer on or off.

That's one good thing about putting the switch in the coin box—it's unlikely to get bumped.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:36 PM
sparky3Z

Default New addition

I recently added a Blaupunkt DVD-ME1 DVD player to my glove box. I cut wooden spacers to raise it over my Alpine Navigation unit. I cut the top of the wood blocks at a 6° angle so the DVD player is level.

I really like the Blaupunkt player and, in addition to DVDs, it plays regular CDs and MP3 CDs. As you operate it using the wireless remote control, the info shows on your screen so you don’t have to see the player to operate it. A wired remote sensor is included to mount up front on your dash (see next photo).

The DVD image quality is first rate with the Alpine monitor. I can run a movie for my wife and the navigation for me at the same time and quickly switch back and forth with the Select button on the monitor.
Attached Thumbnails Alpine navigation wiring diagram plus photos-dvd-glovebox.jpg  
Old 09-29-2003, 12:38 PM
sparky3Z

I carefully drilled two holes below the temperature control for the remote extension’s indicator light and sensor. I didn’t want to stick the remote sensor on top of the dash because it is slightly bulky and its wire is obvious. I simply used a couple of drops of epoxy on the outside edges of the remote to secure it behind the panel. That way I can remove it easily with a Dremel tool in the future.

To feed the DVD player’s audio into my stock Bose, I installed an XOvision FM Modulator behind the AC controls. There’s plenty of room there. I have been pleased with the results and, as a bonus, I can feed the navigation’s voice into the Bose, if I choose.
Attached Thumbnails Alpine navigation wiring diagram plus photos-remote-sensor.jpg  
Old 09-29-2003, 12:38 PM
sparky3Z

You need to be able to turn off the FM modulator when you are not using it, so it doesn’t degrade your regular FM reception or sound quality. I installed a switch in the rear console storage/drink holder compartment. I also added a stereo jack so I can plug my iPod, or other devices, directly into the system. It works well.
Attached Thumbnails Alpine navigation wiring diagram plus photos-ipod-jack.jpg  
Old 12-02-2003, 01:29 PM
buletman

sparky3z, how hard is it to install that iPod install? I am 17, and know alot about AV, and am pretty good with wires, but opening up my Z is scary...

So based on that, do you think it is something I could handle?
Old 12-02-2003, 01:56 PM
buletman

Also, when installing the fm modulator, where exactly does the antenna wire run...like what route? Can one get to it without taking apart the Z too much?
Old 12-02-2003, 02:35 PM
sparky3Z

Default buletman

It isn't hard to install an FM modulator. The wiring isn't difficult—just 12v + connection to a "Accessory" wire that turns off with the ignition. You can see one option in my wiring diagram (see first post in this thread.) I used a wire on the back of the Bose. I added a switch so I could turn it off when I didn't need it. The sound quality of the normal FM radio reception sucks if you don't turn the modulator off.

The FM modulator antenna wire (a few inches long) simply connects into the stock Bose antenna wire plug-in socket and the stock antenna wire plugs into the FM modulator's socket.

You will need a stereo mini-jack wire (plugs into your iPod or other output device) with two RCA jacks on the other end to plug into the input jacks on the FM modulator. There is plenty of room underneath the Bose head unit for the modulator. You can velcro it in place. Search for some excellent photos on other threads for access instructions to this area. If memory serves, Scafremon posted some good ones.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:59 PM
buletman

Thanks for the response...

I have the y cable for the iPod, so I'm not worried about that, but is it hard to get the wires to the place where you put it, along with the switch location?

Damn, I wish you were in NY...

I'm way too scared to take apart anything on the Z...how do you get to antenna in on the bose stereo? where is it? hehe...I guess I'm clueless when it comes to this...

Chad
Old 12-02-2003, 03:16 PM
sparky3Z

Default buletman

Most of us are clueless to some extent—some more than others. Only idiots don't ask questions.

See my photos for one switch location in the rear of the console. It was easy to do and out of the way.

The hardest part will be removing the central dash panel to get to the Bose area. If you have good hand skills, you can do it. Search for Scafremon's tips and photos which will take you step by step through the process. This is important. I'm sorry I don't have the link handy. Take your time, don't misplace any screws, and keep the instructions handy.

A magnetic phillips screwdriver is helpful to remove and reinstall screws in deep areas. Use small flat-blade screwdrivers to help disconnect the plastic jacks on the back of Bose. The worst part for me was at the end when I was snapping the top of the dash piece with the three gauge pods back in place. It was a little difficult to get it to snap in but I got it.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:36 PM
buletman

Wow, I am really not digging this lol...I don't want to risk the chance of losing any screws, breaking any plastic...oh well...thanks again, i'll ask more im sure...

Chad
Old 12-02-2003, 03:37 PM
sparky3Z

Default buletman

I did a search for you on this forum, but the original Scafremon links don't work anymore. I found another link on another forum which does work:

http://www.350zfrenzy.com/diy/center_console/index.php

Have fun!
Old 12-02-2003, 03:39 PM
buletman

thanks again...i did a search and he has 544 posts lol...Scafremon sure gets around...

Chad
Old 12-02-2003, 08:18 PM
liljerk

hahaha, awesome install. you rock.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:38 AM
CatastrophZZ

Sparky3Z... nice work! that's a whole lot of work. geeze! what kind of tools did you have to use? any specific tools? cuz i do know that i dont have a any kind of saw for small area trimming. that's probably it! LOL
Old 03-11-2004, 06:32 AM
sparky3Z

Thanks, CatastrophZZ. It was a lot of work and most people should probably get it installed at an authorized dealer to avoid the hassle, as well as for warranty reasons. However, I seem to be a glutton for punishment and took it on myself. No regrets.

By doing it myself I could control where things were placed and where wires were routed for future purposes.

It's a great feeling when you hook up the last piece, nervously fire her up, and it all works! It was worth the effort.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:39 AM
CatastrophZZ

is that thing underneath of your rear view mirror a radar detector? wireless? battery operated?
Old 03-11-2004, 08:05 AM
sparky3Z

It's a hard-wired Valentine One radar detector with a remote unit under my dash. I made a bracket to clamp it to the rear view mirror post.

Quick Reply: Alpine navigation wiring diagram plus photos