Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Alpine navigation wiring diagram plus photos

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 04:46 PM
sparky3Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine navigation wiring diagram plus install photos

I have just finished installing an Alpine NVE-N852A DVD Navigation unit and an Alpine TME-M760 Video Monitor in my 2003 Touring model. I am grateful to Scafremon, MonkeyBoy, rouxeny, JeremyL, ares, AWSSUMZ, qirex, Anyone2u, and many others, for their posts and direct answers to my questions. I have tried to leave out information previously posted by others to conserve space and avoid duplication as much as possible.

I am posting a wiring diagram for installing this sytem in a Z. The diagram is one I created to help myself, as well as others in the future, to locate and keep track of all the wires and avoid mistakes. If by some chance you do not already have Adobe Acrobat, you can download a free Acrobat Reader from www.adobe.com.

Link to my diagram:
http://www.lr-design.com/photos/Alpi...i-Z-wiring.pdf

Photos follow below.

Last edited by sparky3Z; 09-10-2003 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:47 PM
sparky3Z

I installed the Alpine monitor’s video controller unit with Velcro in the lower pan underneath the glove box. I drilled two 1 in. holes and installed rubber grommets for the wires to pass through to the console area.
Attached Thumbnails Alpine navigation wiring diagram plus photos-controller-in-pan.jpg  
Old 09-09-2003, 04:48 PM
sparky3Z

I bolted the DVD Navigation unit with the supplied brackets to the floor panel of the glove box. I drilled a large hole for air and wires to pass through. I put it near the front, but some may prefer to put it farther back in the box. I used 1/4-20 flathead screws so the bottom of the panel would be flat.
Attached Thumbnails Alpine navigation wiring diagram plus photos-dvd-navi-rear.jpg  
Old 09-09-2003, 04:48 PM
sparky3Z

I enlarged the stock navigation opening by 1/4 in. on both sides so the Alpine monitor’s screen would fit. I did not change the top or bottom of the stock opening. I put masking tape on the inside of the opening to mark cut lines on and clamped a piece of 1/4” thick aluminum as a temporary spacer to the sides. This helped me make clean and straight cuts with a Dremel tool by running the bit along the aluminum. I was worried about how I was going to get a neat cut but this worked pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails Alpine navigation wiring diagram plus photos-screen-no-panel.jpg  
Old 09-09-2003, 04:49 PM
sparky3Z

I made a bracket out of aluminum angle to hold the video monitor in the stock navigation compartment. It’s easy to adjust the vertical position of the monitor using the supplied bracket. I cut a slot in my bracket’s bolt so I could hold it while tightening the nut. I added a drop of Loctite for insurance.
Attached Thumbnails Alpine navigation wiring diagram plus photos-rear-of-screen-bracket.jpg  
Old 09-09-2003, 04:50 PM
sparky3Z

I wanted to keep the navigation voice’s audio as simple as possible and I was concerned about it being loud enough since the Alpine monitor’s built-in speaker is on the back of its case and would be buried in the dash. I considered running audio out from the Alpine controller to a small amp and speaker, if needed.

I cut a piece of thin aluminum sheet and bent it to fit between my aluminum bracket and the bottom of the navi door’s housing. I attached it with velcro so I could make adjustments easily if needed. My goal was to curve the sheet so the sound from the speaker would reflect back toward the driver through the spaces at the top on the monitor and door gaps. As it turns out, the sound is clear, easily understood, and I have more than enough volume. Of course, those who crank their Bose or whatever up to the max might have a problem hearing the voice.

Those of you with sharp eyes might notice the Valentine remote unit in the photo which I had installed earlier in the cover at the bottom of the navigation cubby hole. It was fine there except the angle necessary to clear the navi door caused pretty bad glare. I am relocating it in my new set up.
Attached Thumbnails Alpine navigation wiring diagram plus photos-rear-screen-aluminum.jpg  
Old 09-09-2003, 04:51 PM
sparky3Z

Here’s the finshed installation with the stock lower cover back in place. I trimmed the rubber mat to fit. A minor gripe is the sensor for the remote control is at the bottom of the screen on the right side and you have to hold the remote up a bit for it to “see” it.

The only other gripe I have is the d*** Alpine legal disclaimer screen that comes up everytime you turn the system on. You have to grab the remote and hit the enter button to get rid of it. Fairly easy to do, but a real pain—thanks to some **** lawyer at Alpine.
Attached Thumbnails Alpine navigation wiring diagram plus photos-screen-installed.jpg  
Old 09-09-2003, 04:51 PM
sparky3Z

I added a simple rocker switch in the ACC + wire to the navigation system so I could easily turn everything off if I wanted to while driving. I cut a small rectangular hole in the bottom of the coin box to fit the switch. I put disconnects in the wires underneath so it would be easier to remove the console in the future.

I’m very happy with the Alpine system and would recommend it. It is easy to operate and works beautifully. I can’t imagine not having it now. Thanks again to all who previously posted info—it was a tremendous help!
Attached Thumbnails Alpine navigation wiring diagram plus photos-alpine-navi-switch.jpg  
Old 09-09-2003, 06:41 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Very professional job! well done! do you have any actual picture with screen on?

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2003, 10:00 PM
sparky3Z

Default Apexi350z

Thanks.

I haven't taken any photos with the screen on but I will take a couple as soon as I get time.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:39 AM
sparky3Z

Default Apexi350z

Here's a couple of shots of the Alpine screen.

This first one is how I normally view it. There are many options such as viewing the map with north always at the top or the direction of the arrow-car symbol is always up. I like this view best because you see the map the way your view is while you drive.

The monitor adjusts its brightness depending on high bright it is in the car. It will dim the screen when you turn on the lights, too.
Attached Thumbnails Alpine navigation wiring diagram plus photos-normal-view.jpg  
Old 09-10-2003, 09:45 AM
sparky3Z

Here's a second view with the screen zoomed out while parked at the same location. There is a good range of zooming in and out.

There are other views and ways it changes as you approach intersections while you are following its directions to your destination, but I couldn't safely take any while actually driving.

It is overall very informative and easy to follow.
Attached Thumbnails Alpine navigation wiring diagram plus photos-zoom-out-view.jpg  
Old 09-11-2003, 09:17 PM
WolfMan

One question... how did you make that neat little PDF diagram?
Old 09-12-2003, 05:04 AM
sparky3Z

Default WolfMan

I used Adobe Illustrator to make the diagram and then converted it to an Acrobat file.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:42 AM
sparky3Z

Default Alpine Remote Control Location

I had been unable to find a good place to install the Alpine remote’s holder. Alpine says to keep the remote out of direct sunlight and that added to the problem.

It seemed like the best place was on one of the sunvisors. I removed the metal clip from an old garage door opener I had and rigged it to the holder. It’s relatively out of the way and also the remote’s beam hits the LCD screen sensor from either visor. This is handy because when you get the start-up disclaimer screen you can quickly hit the Enter button with the remote in its holder.

I took a piece of aluminum and machined it down thinner and cut a slot to capture the metal spring clip. I used the screws that came with the remote to attach the plate and clip to the holder. I cut off the excess screw tips and filed it smooth.
Attached Thumbnails Alpine navigation wiring diagram plus photos-remote-visor.jpg  
Old 09-15-2003, 05:43 AM
sparky3Z

Here's a close-up of the aluminum plate and clip.
Attached Thumbnails Alpine navigation wiring diagram plus photos-remote-clip.jpg  
Old 09-15-2003, 01:51 PM
MonkeyBoy

Where did you put the GPS antenna for the NAV unit?
Old 09-15-2003, 02:46 PM
sparky3Z

Default MonkeyBoy

Hello again. You were a big help to me.

I put the GPS antenna on the dash between the defroster outlets up near the windshield. I made a small indentation in the gauge panel where it meets the dash at the top for the GPS wire. It's about 1/8" in diameter.

I used a couple of spots of silicone to hold the antenna so I could remove it later if I wanted.

I get a strong signal of four satellites most of the time.

I considered putting the antenna in the rear cross brace like someone else did, but I thought I would get a better signal with it on the dash.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:29 PM
qirex

okay...here's the $$$$$$ question.

I've heard you can wire the tme760 so that you can view other sources while the car is moving. As well, so you can prog the nve unit whil ein motion.

Presently, I pull up my e-brkae a tiny bit then hit menu. This wont work for other inputs....such a an input for my forthcoming HKS CAMP systm (to display boost etc) on the screen
Old 09-16-2003, 04:58 AM
sparky3Z

Default Two things...

The parking brake just makes a connection to ground when you pull it. If you look at the diagram I posted (see link in my first post) you will see the "parking brake" wire is simply attached to a ground point bypassing the brake.

This works fine for me although I haven't yet attempted to connect another video input to the monitor.

There is a second little wire that one might miss. It comes in a little plastic bag with a warning label. It simply connects an unused pin on the monitor's video controller unit harness to ground. (See diagram) This allows viewing "in the rear seat" while the car is moving. Without this wire, it seems the car has to be stopped to see video.

Last edited by sparky3Z; 09-16-2003 at 10:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Alpine navigation wiring diagram plus photos