Amp issue, Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:11 PM
IPGDriver
Corporate Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp issue, Need Help!!

Ok Guys, Here is the situation.

I had an amp and 8" tube installed by the previous owner, so I do not know too much about this history. Anywho... The old amp took a crap and is out, but I purchased a new amp. All the wiring looks good and worked with the old amp, but now the new amp will not turn on. I am somewhat A/V savvy, so I did my best to pinpoint the problem.

The only thing that I can conclude is that something is wrong with the remote line. I tried to jump the power to the remote and the amp turns, no problem. The ground looks super solid and the power looks good to. When I turn on the car, with everything hooked up, the amp looks like it turns on, but only like are 5% of power. I have these lights on the amp that show levels, and they are super dim, but when I jumped the power to the remote, they were bright and everything was good to go.

Another note, I recently had a Parrot Bluetooth installed into my car, and I am wondering if they spliced the remote cable to send on/off power to that unit and it is not sending enough juice to the amp remote.

I really do not know what to do. How can the amp be "sorta" on? How much does the remote line voltage level affect the "on" state of the amp? Is there another source for the remote line amp on/off that I can tie into?

Thanks guys!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:37 PM
orgasm_donor

I think you have semi-answered your question. The remote wire is only about .5 amps so if you are powering a couple of things you may not have enough juice. You can:

1) Relay the remote to up the juice
2) Have the amp turned on by the much stronger ACC (red) wire

Either way should solve the problem.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:29 AM
IPGDriver
Corporate Whore

Thank you for your reply. How do I relay the remote wire? I have never done that before. Does it sound like that remote .5 amps is too weak when I jump the power cable and it turns on the amp no problem? Was going to open up my dash, but I would rather install a simple relay near the amp location, where I have all the wires already without opening up the dash. What size of relay do I need? Would I need to use power and ground? Could I use the same power and ground that I am using for the amp?

Thanks again for your input!
Old 03-12-2009, 07:32 PM
orgasm_donor

Originally Posted by IPGDriver
Thank you for your reply. How do I relay the remote wire? I have never done that before. Does it sound like that remote .5 amps is too weak when I jump the power cable and it turns on the amp no problem? Was going to open up my dash, but I would rather install a simple relay near the amp location, where I have all the wires already without opening up the dash. What size of relay do I need? Would I need to use power and ground? Could I use the same power and ground that I am using for the amp?

Thanks again for your input!
Most relays are 30 amps so no problem there. You will need power and ground which you can get from the amplifier wiring. check out relays and wiring at www.the12volt.com

No need to go in behind the deck.