Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

putting a headunit in CUBBY

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:06 AM
mythek88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default putting a headunit in CUBBY

My plan is to replace my stock audio headunit to an aftermarket double-din dvd/cd player (avh-p3100dvd). and then put a navigation system (avic-f700bt) in the CUBBY. Does anyone know how to fit something the avic into the cubby ?

Before any flames, i just want to tell you that i've spent some time trying to search for this answer, but no luck.

Last edited by mythek88; 03-26-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:05 AM
sintaxeror

Originally Posted by mythek88
Before any flames, i just want to tell you that i've spent some time trying to search for this answer, but no luck.
You should reevaluate your search technique, because there are a zillion threads on this.

The short answer is, it won't fit. There isn't enough depth.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:08 AM
dieselmcore

ive seen it done before, but u need some fabrication... go search again...
Old 03-26-2009, 01:49 PM
mythek88

I know it doesnt fit cuz there isnt enuf depth, that's why I'm asking. Has anyone sucessfully fit a headunit into a cubby by doing certain modifications? The search database is large, and my keywords are just too common. I've tried searching for "headunit cubby", "navigation cubby", "cubby size", "cubby depth", and Ive came up with nothing. Anyone who knows any info on this please help it, i'd be really grateful.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by mythek88
I know it doesnt fit cuz there isnt enuf depth, that's why I'm asking. Has anyone sucessfully fit a headunit into a cubby by doing certain modifications? The search database is large, and my keywords are just too common. I've tried searching for "headunit cubby", "navigation cubby", "cubby size", "cubby depth", and Ive came up with nothing. Anyone who knows any info on this please help it, i'd be really grateful.
As the other guys on this thread state, the upper/forward cubby won’t accommodate a double-din H/U with a flush fit. Of course you can mount a DD H/U there, but it sticks way out, and that mounting requires custom fabrication. The problem is that the protruding H/U, even with the best custom fabrication, looks “pig-boat.”

But, there is a way to install a 7” touch-screen LCD that operates an entire and sophisticated CES. Check this thread to see how you can accomplish this:

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-build...pics-here.html

--Spike
Old 03-27-2009, 06:10 PM
mythek88

thank you spike for the info. I guess it's better to just mount a screen in the cubby hole and then hook it up with a gps blackbox or sumthing.