Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

good amp/sub/headunit deal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 05:44 PM
RoN916

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good amp/sub/headunit deal?

I talked to a nearby audio shop to get an audio build installed. The parts sounded expensive so I did some research of my own. Found the Pioneer AVIC-F700BT for around $360. Pretty good deal considering it has navigation on it. I'll use that as the headunit.

They're building me a nice custom box for $200, I'll take that.

I want one sub and one amp. I found some MTX subs for $100 and some decent amps for around $150.

My problem is I'm REALLY new to this and don't know ANYTHING about ohms and frequency's and all that stuff. I've searched around on the forums and even searched google to find out more about it, but can't really find much that defines it in an easy way.

The audio shop recommended polk momo 10" subs and a PPI amp. Any opinions on that?

Help would be GREATLY appreciated
Old 04-20-2009, 11:38 PM
seank426

I'm really new to this as well but basically the lower the ohms the less resistance. It is much easier figuring this all out with one sub as well. An amp will put out more power at 2ohm rather than 4ohm because there is less resistance. Think of it as your a runner, and you can run so far in a certain amount of time, but if ankle weights are put on you, they cause resistance which is going to cause you to slow down. Hope that makes a tiny bit of since.

Someone should restate this as well for I'm definitely not the best person at all to be explaining this.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:43 AM
adamtaylorpcb

whoa $200 tell them to stop
Old 04-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Ricfutures

Originally Posted by RoN916
I talked to a nearby audio shop to get an audio build installed. The parts sounded expensive so I did some research of my own. Found the Pioneer AVIC-F700BT for around $360. Pretty good deal considering it has navigation on it. I'll use that as the headunit.

They're building me a nice custom box for $200, I'll take that.

I want one sub and one amp. I found some MTX subs for $100 and some decent amps for around $150.

My problem is I'm REALLY new to this and don't know ANYTHING about ohms and frequency's and all that stuff. I've searched around on the forums and even searched google to find out more about it, but can't really find much that defines it in an easy way.

The audio shop recommended polk momo 10" subs and a PPI amp. Any opinions on that?

Help would be GREATLY appreciated
You can buy a Zenclosure under strut bar enclosure for around $150 shipped. Very good boxes.

I would suggest getting a 4 channel amp and upgrading your door speakers to some components or coaxials. The 4 chan amp can power the sub and door speakers. Makes a huge difference in sound. I went the same route that you are suggesting and eventually had to pay more to change out my amp install door speakers.