Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

rear speakers/ HU question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 06:53 PM
08panna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear speakers/ HU question

well i have an 03 350Z track model w/o bose or nav and the stereo needs an upgrade. the left door speaker rattles pretty bad on lower volume and now the right one is starting to do it also. this is my first Z so im not exactly sure but the non bose ones dont come with speakers behind the seat? if they do then ive been janked. but back on subject, this leads to one of my questions.

Is the rear speaker holder already prewired up so i can just hook up new speakers? or will i have to get wiring back there?

Also, can i run the stock HU if i throw a subW and amp in it? im new to the subW world.

Anyone who can answer this, THANK YOU
Old 07-08-2009, 07:06 PM
JEKL

As far as the rear speakers go, a lot of people will tell you to just ditch them completely and just get some quality component fronts.

For the amp and sub, anything can be made to work. I would say to just pull the trigger and get a better head unit that can do more like add XM/Sirius and an iPod.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Re> “Is the rear speaker holder already prewired up so i can just hook up new speakers? or will i have to get wiring back there?”
The wiring is there, and in fact, there should be speakers in that position. I would take it apart and see what you have. The previous owner probably just disconnected the rears since they are junk and only pollute the sound. If you do reconnect the rear speakers, replace the cheap OEM Clarions with just about any decent coaxial speaker. Many members here would recommend keeping the rears disconnected, and replace the fronts with quality component speakers.

Re> “Also, can i run the stock HU if i throw a subW and amp in it?”
Yes you can. But, the OEM Clarion H/U you have isn’t designed for this so be aware that a great amp added to your CES won’t provide the best sound unless you replace the cheap OEM Clarion H/U. Replacing the H/U with just a moderately priced unit provides much better sound , and you get direct support for your external amp(s) and a SubW (if you add this).

--Spike
Old 07-09-2009, 11:55 AM
08panna

thanks a ton