Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Component pricing

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003 | 03:50 PM
zunzet

Default Component pricing

I have to say, I'm not that mechanically inclined, but can and have removed interior body panels from other vehicles I owned. I went to some local audio shops for pricing and ideas on upgrading my stock system.

I do not want to replace the system, just make what I have sound better. I'm not a kid and don't play the music so the next state can hear me. I do like clarity and base at mid volumes.

None of them would be specific on components used but all agreed on using component speakers for front and rear + sub. along with a 5 chanel amp.

Pricing with installation came in about $1500

Am I getting hosed?

Any suggestions on products and how difficult it would be to do the install myself?

I read some old threads about how to remove the panels to get to the speakers, that is where I get lost.

Help is appreciated!
Old 10-01-2003 | 06:27 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic
Premier Member

What speakers/amp/sub did they recommend? That will tell you a lot on the price.

Some stereo shops quoted me up tp $10-$150 just to install the front mids/tweets and $50 for the rears. Very pricey in my opinion.

$1500 does sound kinda high, but you never stated the brand names, ect. So I can't judge it whether its too high or not.

Labor is probably 30%- 40% of the price, maybe higher in some instances.

And no you don't need componets for the back, and possibly not the front.

The first thing I would do if I was you, would only replace the front and rear speakers and then go from there. You can do this for under $300. Focals makes a great 6.5 midrange that goes for $119 a pair ($219 at local stereo outlets) or you can go with some Infinity kappas or perfects 6.5. Heard good reviews on those also.

You probably don't need a 5 channel amp, a 2 or 4 channel should suffice.

Are you replacing the OEM radio?
Old 10-02-2003 | 03:39 PM
zunzet

I'll try to get them to commit to a brand and model.

They do want to put in writing as it can be used for price shopping with other vendors.

They recommended the 5chanel amp due to the component front and rear+sub behind the driver seat (which I do not currently have)
I would think the components would give a fuller range of sound vs coax which is very low on the doors.

How hard is it to swap out the upper door spkrs? Maybe I'll just replace the 4 spkrs with one of the suggestions and take it from there.
I can always add the sub and amp later as finances permit.
Old 10-02-2003 | 04:48 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic
Premier Member

They don't want to put it it writing. That is so ghetto. If I was you, I would leave.

Go somewhere else. GL!
Old 10-02-2003 | 08:56 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Default MB Quart and U.S. Acoustics make sweet music!

I upgraded my Redline track model in a major way by going with MB Quart DSC-216 separates up front and combining it with a U.S. Acoustics 2-channel amp (USX-2100) with 100 watts a side. Left the rear speakers stock for rear fill only and kept the stock head unit as well.

Tried pulling the door panels and realized a pro would better handle it. With a simple install fee of $185, the entire system came in at under $500. It sounds incredible, with clear highs and tight bass. The soundstage up front is just what is needed in a car like the 350Z. There's enough volume and sound quality that I don't even want a sub! For more detailed info, check out my reviews of both the speakers and amp at epinions.com.

Last edited by dkmura; 10-02-2003 at 08:59 PM.