Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Audio setup - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 02:44 PM
koren

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audio setup - need advice

Hi. Since bose music in our cars really bad, I decided to start searching for the upgrade. After reading all of the forums it seems to me that i should get completely new system!
I read a couple of topics about what's good, what's bad and have been thinking on what should I get. So, here what I decided to go with:
HU - Eclipse or Kenwood, most preferably Eclipse, but still not sure which one to go with (must be with navi, because I don't have one from factory). Also have been thinking about Pioneer, but I heard they have a lot of problems.

Also wanted to say upfront that I've been told that JL Audio makes really good mobile audio systems, so I decided to go with them.

Front - I'm going to need some spacers and planning on the JL component speakers.. They Got C5 and ZR - which is the way to go?
Of course, need some advices on JL brand. I see here (on forum) a lot of people have JL audio setup in their Z's. Is it really good sound and no worries about anything breaking up?
And if not JL, what is the options?

Rear - JL coaxials. Was thinking to go with C5 on front a rear (the got coaxials and components). What do you guys think? Or may be it is better to get something less powerful for front? Any other suggestions and advices? Is it better to go with the same brand all over the car? Or should I go with other components like MB quarts or Infinity Reference and get a JL subs and amps? Or the other way??

Subs - Wanted to go with 2 10's. Brand - JL, but any suggestions appreciated. Don't know which model to choose. Wanted to put in the box similar to this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Nissan-350z-Dual...d=p3286.c0.m14, but 10 inches.

amps - I was thinking 1 4-channel for speakers, and 1 - for subs. Probably JL audio also, but of course, I don't know which one and might be another brand!

As you can see, nothing is set, that's why I need some advices!

And another question! Where you guys buy your music stuff? Is it always authorized dealers like crutchfield or so? Or somebody like to buy it on the ebay or similar websites?
The only issue that you might have with unauthorized dealers is that the manufacturer do not honor their warranty. But on the other side the stores, which sell these products to you, provide you with their own warranty and in some cases it's even longer that manufacturer's! And you saving at least 30%!
Old 09-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You been reading the forums and you've decided to still waste money on rear speakers and JL audio products? You must have not spent much time in the audio section of this forum.

If you want some suggestions state your goals, your limitations (space wise) and your budget.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:27 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ That was my exact thoughts. Rear Speakers? JL Audio? Must not be reading alot.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:05 PM
koren

Sorry guys, didn't find any info! Was it in the audio builds?? The only one that I found - about head units.
Ok, spacewise - like I said I can use spacers/speaker pods/kick panels in front.
rear - wanted to keep it stock look, but if the good system needs some mods, then i'm fine with it.
Amps - one I was planning to mount in the stock Bose sub location, would second one fit in there? If not - mount it to the box, that I'm planning to get for subs (link above).
And you've seen the sub box...

Now, money. It's always when you start to do something, you're planning on one amount, it comes out differently.... And that's why I ask you this question about where do you get your staff! If it goes to authorized dealers - it'll be pricey, if not - a lot less expensive.
But moneywise - let's say 1,5-2 grand, no more.

If JL not good, what is the options?

Last edited by koren; 09-07-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:41 AM
rtiid22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go JL, you're going to go over your budget on what I'll recommend..

I wouldn't go with anything lower than the ZR model speakers for the fronts, I don't think the C5's are worth their price. Alpine type R are a step lower than the c5's to me but they're only $250 compared to $500. I have a very narrow listening list of speakers but these are some that I've heard and that's my opinion.

Get nothing less than a w6v2 subwoofer.

And probably recommend the HD 900/5 amplifier for the ease of system installation and sufficent power to run all four speakers and subwoofer from one compact unit..

But right there, without rear speakers, you're already over 2 grand. It could be done all JL but I wouldn't pay that much for an okay sounding system. Go all premium, or don't go JL.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:46 AM
koren

Wanted to go premium!
Forgot to mention, that 1,5-2 grand - doesn't include HU. That's only for acoustics.
So what are the good brands for a premium system?
Old 09-09-2009, 04:23 AM
StreetOC192

There is a lot of quality gear out there that could surpass JL in terms of SQ for less money. I don't think anyone (except maybe 1 or 2 people) would say JL is garbage, but it is just overpriced for what you get.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:15 PM
koren

Guys, please! Let's talk brands and model numbers!!
So we got:
2 10'' subs
2 amps (1-for subs, 1 for speakers)
front and rear speakers

What brands can you suggest to get premium sound?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:10 PM
rtiid22

Originally Posted by koren
So we got:
2 10'' subs
front and rear speakers

Go out and listen to as many speakers as you can.. you'll find something you like. I'll give you my opinion anyways, but remember, I haven't listen to a very wide selection of speakers and other will say that there's better for cheaper but I have yet to hear those suggested.

I love the way the JL 10w6v2 subwoofers sound as compared to Sony Xplod, Kicker L5, Infinity and the JL 10w3v3. The subwoofer produces the low frequencies with control and little to none cone movement noise.

I like the Focal K2P component speakers.. they're very expensive, I don't know what else would messure up at a cheaper price. I'm sure someone would give you other brands. I like these compared to Sonys and Kicker components (for the price, they must sound better). Sony's are very high pitched with a lot of SSss sound and both the sony's and kicker lacked music dynamics.. they were just loud. Alpines are pritty good but the higher scale have more mid bass and detail. I picked the Focals over JL not necessary because they're just plain better but different. JL's were very nice playing instrumental music compared to the Focals but lacked the voice clarity. The lower line Focals I found were high pitched. Sorry I can't go more into detail since it's been awhile I've heard other speakers side by side on a switch board.

I don't have much experience on amplifiers but I'll really love to buy a Zapco from everything I've heard on the forums. I've only used Clarion, Power Acoustik and JL amps and each with different set of speakers so there is no fair comparison, especially because of the price point differences.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:03 PM
koren

Thanks for your response!
Wow, I checked focals at crutchfield... Utopia line - from 4 grand up to 5,2 for no.7....
That's some money....
By the way, I didn't find K2P at crutchfield, only on ebay.. May be Focal don't make them anymore?

Last edited by koren; 09-10-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:19 PM
rtiid22

Thanks for your response!
Wow, I checked focals at crutchfield... Utopia line - from 4 grand up to 5,2 for no.7....
That's some money....
By the way, I didn't find K2P at crutchfield, only on ebay.. May be Focal don't make them anymore?

Yeah, they don't make them anymore.. They were replace with the KRX2, haven't heard them though.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:37 AM
StreetOC192

So we got:
2 10'' subs
front and rear speakers

Help us help you!

Can you give a budget to plan with? Also, are you going for just loud or SQ?
Old 09-11-2009, 07:31 AM
shaun123

I had a set up Boston Acoustic Rally components in my Integra a few years ago and thought that they sounded pretty good. Very clean and loud and weren't very expensive.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:37 AM
koren

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
Help us help you!

Can you give a budget to plan with? Also, are you going for just loud or SQ?
The budget mentioned above! 2 grand more or less. And no, I'm not going just loud!