Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Which install kit and harness would you recomend ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 02:51 PM
eladm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which install kit and harness would you recomend ?

Hi all!
I bought a head unit - the Pioneer AVIC-X710BT and would like to now purchase the required install kit and harness. I have a 2007 Enth. with stock unit (NOT Bose).
I decided to have it professionally installed, but would like to purchase everything online (understood that shops would charge much more "on the spot"). I have a couple of questions for you experts, to help me avoid stupid mistakes :

1. Which install kit would you recommend ? I saw this metra and also this pioneer. Are they identical ? any reason to pay the extra $25 for the Pioneer one ?

2. Would I need any filling material for the kit to fit in my 350 ? What would you recommend ?

3. Which harness would you recommend ? I saw two American International that says should fit 1 and 2 , but also one from Scosche and the other from Metra. I am confused...

4. Would the stock's steering wheel controls work (Volume, Mode..) ?

5. Bypass - I understood there is a software bypass and a hardware one. I didnt manage to figure out yet if the software would work on my X710BT. For the hardware one - would it work on all harnesses ?

6. Adding amp. / Ipod later on -Is there a way to avoid taking out the unit when/if in the future I would like to upgrade the amp. or add an Ipod cable ?

Thank you !!

Elad

Last edited by eladm; 09-22-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:32 PM
jimpactmfsc

Originally Posted by eladm
Hi all!
I bought a head unit - the Pioneer AVIC-X710BT and would like to now purchase the required install kit and harness. I have a 2007 Enth. with stock unit (NOT Bose).
I decided to have it professionally installed, but would like to purchase everything online (understood that shops would charge much more "on the spot"). I have a couple of questions for you experts, to help me avoid stupid mistakes :

1. Which install kit would you recommend ? I saw this metra and also this pioneer. Are they identical ? any reason to pay the extra $25 for the Pioneer one ?

2. Would I need any filling material for the kit to fit in my 350 ? What would you recommend ?

3. Which harness would you recommend ? I saw two American International that says should fit 1 and 2 , but also one from Scosche and the other from Metra. I am confused...

4. Would the stock's steering wheel controls work (Volume, Mode..) ?

5. Bypass - I understood there is a software bypass and a hardware one. I didnt manage to figure out yet if the software would work on my X710BT. For the hardware one - would it work on all harnesses ?

6. Adding amp. / Ipod later on -Is there a way to avoid taking out the unit when/if in the future I would like to upgrade the amp. or add an Ipod cable ?

Thank you !!

Elad
1.i used the metra kit bro,fits like a glove dont know about the rest.
2.Filing material?
3.get the metra harness
4.not with out an adapter,not sure if there is an adapter for the newer head units yet,im looking for one myself.
5.yes the hardware one is basically just grounding the parking brake wire but your audio shop sould be able to set that up for u with no prob, i have mines rigged with a switch hideen in the cubby.
6. As for the amp and ipod cable your gonna have to have access to the rear of the unit assuming thats where all the connections are so yes,unless this headunit has a front usb port
Old 09-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Hi Elad,

I’ve used the Metra mount for all my Z projects and it fits perfectly. I don’t think you need any “filling material.”

Metra wiring harnesses work with the Z, but you may need to do a little bit of customization. Any additional work (additional wiring) is very minimal.

My caveat: I’ve never done work on a 2007 Z, so I’m probably not answering your question directly.

--Spike
Old 09-23-2009, 02:11 PM
eladm

Thanks jimpactmfsc and Spike100!
I bought the Metra kit and the Scosche harness, as I understood it will fit the 2007 z perfectly.

About the stock's steering wheel controls - do you know how the adapter is called, and where can I buy one ?

Thanks again!

Elad
Old 09-29-2009, 05:35 PM
bblack_91240

^^I'm curious about the steering controls. I heard there was a place you could buy them, but I don't know where..
Old 09-29-2009, 07:06 PM
fizmixa

PAC makes 2 different steering wheel control adapters for our cars. one is for headunits that have a remote control jack or wire on the rear of the headunit (this is what i'm using for my Kenwood deck in my 2007 Touring). the other is for headunits that only have infrared or wireless remote controls. goto to PAC's website to help figure out what you need. their site is helpful http://www.pac-audio.com. also, i don't want to harp on this since its always mentioned in posts, but these things have been discussed already and can be uncovered by searching this sub-forum.

Last edited by fizmixa; 09-29-2009 at 07:09 PM.