Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Subs/amp/ohms? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 04:37 PM
erik11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subs/amp/ohms? HELP!

I was planning on running one alpine type r 10" in a Zenclosures box. I had read on here that I would be better off getting the 4 ohm sub and wiring the dual coils in parallel to give a 2ohm load.( I dont actually understand this but thats ok if its indeed correct). Since I'm doing it this way, do I need to be looking for an amp that runs 500W RMS at 2 or 4ohms???
The ohms really have me . If anyone has any specific amp suggestions for this setup let me know. Trying to keep the costs down as much as possible so an affordable quality amp is what I'm looking for here.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:11 PM
erik11

I think I've discerned that I will need an amp that runs 500W @ 2ohms and was planning on going with the alpine mrp-m500. It can be had for about 120. Is this a proper amp for one alpine 1042d?
Old 10-07-2009, 05:19 PM
*ICE*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you better to get a sub that is 2 ohm. There are many one from JL which is good quality and low price. For example the JL 10W3V3 is good but rated at 300 RMS and it hits HARD in the Z.

Dual Voice Coil sub can be wire to use at either 4 ohm or 2 ohm. Single Voice Coil sub is either 2 or 4 ohm listed in the specs. I would recommend a Single Voice Coil set up.

Are you running amp to power all 4 (2 front/2 rear) speakers? If not, the amp is only for the sub, then I would suggest shopping around for a mono amp rate at whatever RMS to match your new sub.

Try to find a good seller on ebay for sub and amp. That will keep your price down.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:27 PM
*ICE*

Originally Posted by erik11
I think I've discerned that I will need an amp that runs 500W @ 2ohms and was planning on going with the alpine mrp-m500. It can be had for about 120. Is this a proper amp for one alpine 1042d?
that sub is not compatible. the sub 1042RD is rated at 4 ohm Dual Voice Coil while the amp is rated at 2 ohm /500 watts RMS.

Find a sub that match your amp. Single Voice Coil, 2 ohm, 500 watts RMS.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:37 PM
nofearsuzki199

for a sub to be 2ohm stable it has to be a 4ohm speaker.... a 2ohm speaker only goes to 1ohm or 6ohms.... i found out the hard way... i have a kicker 1000.1 hooked up to a 10'' mtx 9500.... itll out beat anything... ill sell it
Old 10-07-2009, 05:41 PM
erik11

I have a separate amp for my front stage, so I am just looking for one sub and an amp to go with it. What is the difference between dual and single voice coil and why would a single voice coil be better?
I was under the impression that by getting the 4ohm alpine dual coil, I would wire a 500w @ 2ohm RMS rated amp in parallel to produce this power in the sub?? Im very confused at this point.

A ridiculous quote at the car audio shop has encouraged me to learn how to do this myself. It's my first time dealing with car audio so please forgive my ignorance

Last edited by erik11; 10-07-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:51 PM
erik11

Originally Posted by nofearsuzki199
for a sub to be 2ohm stable it has to be a 4ohm speaker.... a 2ohm speaker only goes to 1ohm or 6ohms.... i found out the hard way... i have a kicker 1000.1 hooked up to a 10'' mtx 9500.... itll out beat anything... ill sell it
Haha that sub seems to be way out my price/needs range
Old 10-07-2009, 06:16 PM
*ICE*

I have a separate amp for my front stage, so I am just looking for one sub and an amp to go with it. What is the difference between dual and single voice coil and why would a single voice coil be better?
I was under the impression that by getting the 4ohm alpine dual coil, I would wire a 500w @ 2ohm RMS rated amp in parallel to produce this power in the sub?? Im very confused at this point.

A ridiculous quote at the car audio shop has encouraged me to learn how to do this myself. It's my first time dealing with car audio so please forgive my ignorance

http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/lea...fers_dual.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/lea...rs_wiring.html

any other question, ask this guy for him. He's an expert. (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...t-me-know.html)
Old 10-07-2009, 06:25 PM
erik11

Good reads. Seems I gain nothing from a dual voice coil sub in my situation. Just need to find a decent SVC 2ohm sub and amp that can drive it. Thanks for the links. I would google for an hour to not find something on crutchfield
Old 10-07-2009, 06:30 PM
erik11

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/...4-ohm_mono.jpg
Does this not show that the amp I suggested to begin with would work??
I would wire the sub the way in the link and it would present a 2 ohm load to the amp. So I would need an amp that could handle 500w @2 ohms.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:21 PM
*ICE*

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/...4-ohm_mono.jpg
Does this not show that the amp I suggested to begin with would work??
I would wire the sub the way in the link and it would present a 2 ohm load to the amp. So I would need an amp that could handle 500w @2 ohms.
yea your right. That set up would work. I was thinking about something else. Good luck. Also, the MRP-M500 you said earlier can handle 500 rms @ 2 ohms (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2ROUWs5...-MRP-M500.html)

I recently swapped out all Bose stuff for a decent setup and couldn't be happier. If you planning to do it yourself, be sure to do a lot of research and make sure you have everything first, including wire stripper, crimpler, heat shrink wrap, heat gun, knife, multiple size screwdriver, power tool or another car in case you need anything to go buy additional supply. Shop around for some nice amp power kit, speaker wires and RCA wires. I'd recommend Kicker amp power kit, 16 gauges speaker wires are good and decent RCA wires.

Last edited by *ICE*; 10-07-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:29 PM
erik11

I've got a good amp kit, front components, amp. About to buy the sub/amp and strut box. But I will probably just shop around for the best install price and have a pro do it. I don't have the tools or know how to to do this large of an audio install.
Anyone know what a fair price for all of this to be installed would be? The only thing I wouldn't supply would be the rca/speaker cables.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:55 PM
*ICE*

are you going to just install the sub/sub box/amp? installation price for that generally range from $150-$200.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:13 PM
erik11

None of it is installed. I will be getting a complete system installed. Although I was going to go ahead and install my HU
Old 10-08-2009, 04:33 AM
StreetOC192

Holy crap-hole of misinformation on the interwebz!!!!!!!

OP, you were correct in your assumption in your first post, but seem to have been led astray by some less than savory advice.

You should pick a subwoofer FIRST, then pick your amp to power that subwoofer with the proper rms power.

Originally Posted by *ICE*
Dual Voice Coil sub can be wire to use at either 4 ohm or 2 ohm. Single Voice Coil sub is either 2 or 4 ohm listed in the specs.
There are MANY more subwoofer configuration than you are leading the OP to believe. Most mainstream aftermarket subwoofer voice coils can be rated a nominal resistance of 2ohms to 16ohms per coil. So depending if the sub is 1 voice coil or dual coil, you can have a nominal resistance of anywhere from 1ohm to 32ohms per subwoofer. I thought I even saw a quad coil sub once, but can not confirm this now.

Originally Posted by *ICE*
I would recommend a Single Voice Coil set up.
The advantage of a dual voice coil sub is that it will typically handle more rms power than a single voice coil sub (I said "typically").

for a sub to be 2ohm stable it has to be a 4ohm speaker
A sub is not 'rated to be stable at a certain resistance', an amp is. A sub IS the resistance seen by the amp.

a 2ohm speaker only goes to 1ohm or 6ohms
A dual voice coil sub with nominal resistance of 2ohms per voice coil would show the amp a 1ohm (parallel) or 4ohm (series) load.....not 6ohms. If you wire a dual voice coil sub in parallel, you essentially half the rated nominal ohms. If you wire a dual voice coil sub in series, you essentially double the rated nominal ohms.

OP, if you want help picking a sub and amp combo, give us a budget/music taste/rest of system/goals and me or someone else will put something together for you that you will be happy with.

If you are still confused about resistance, sit down and read this if you would like to learn more:
http://bcae1.com/srsparll.htm

Last edited by StreetOC192; 10-08-2009 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:43 AM
erik11

I'm looking to keep the it under $300(this is my budget for strictly the sub and amp. I don't mind shopping all over the internet for the best deals either. Right now I am looking at the alpine type r 1042d and alpine mrp-m500 amp. Looks like I can get those both for about 230 shipped.

OP, if you want help picking a sub and amp combo, give us a budget/music taste/rest of system/goals and me or someone else will put something together for you that you will be happy with.

If someone can recommend something else that would be great. The sub will be going in the basic Zenclosure box(75^3ft airspace). I mainly listen to all kinds of rock and want something with clear bass that will compliment but not overpower my music. However, I do listen to a little rap/hip hop and want it to be capable of getting a bit loud if I decide to crank it up. My system that this will be added to is a kenwood ddx512 HU, alpine ref component fronts with amp. Planning on ditching the rear speakers.
But remember, $300 budget for sub/amp combo
Old 10-08-2009, 09:42 AM
StreetOC192

Given a $300 budget, it's tough.......but I think I came up with a combo that would be hard to beat for your needs.

Rockford Fosgate R500-1 Prime 500 Watt Mono Amplifier
320wrms into 4ohms
$129+s/h
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...ingid=50638945

CSS SDX10
300wrms power handling
4ohm single v/c
$155 shipped
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=SDX10

Grand total $285 + s/h on amp.

Rockford is.....Rockford. They've endured the test of time and although they aren't the company they once were (what car audio company is?), they still turn out a fine amp (I'm not a fan of their subs though).

The CSS sub is probably the best sub you will find for under $175 anywhere. It's a pretty tight (for your rock side) and deep (for your hip-hop side) sub. You will want to add about 3/4 lb of loosely packed acoustastuff to your zenclosures box.

Last edited by StreetOC192; 10-08-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:59 AM
StreetOC192

Or if you are SET on the Alpine Type R sub and it is rated to handle 500wrms, then you can still use the Rockford R500-1 Prime amp I suggested. The amp is rated to output 500wrms into 2ohms. For this you will want the Alpine Type R dual voice coil in the 4ohm variety. The amp is bridged internally so that takes the guesswork out of how to wire the voice coils. You would wire each voice coil's + and - to the amp separately.

Last edited by StreetOC192; 10-08-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:02 PM
erik11

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
Given a $300 budget, it's tough.......but I think I came up with a combo that would be hard to beat for your needs.

Rockford Fosgate R500-1 Prime 500 Watt Mono Amplifier
320wrms into 4ohms
$129+s/h
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...ingid=50638945

CSS SDX10
300wrms power handling
4ohm single v/c
$155 shipped
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=SDX10

Grand total $285 + s/h on amp.

Rockford is.....Rockford. They've endured the test of time and although they aren't the company they once were (what car audio company is?), they still turn out a fine amp (I'm not a fan of their subs though).

The CSS sub is probably the best sub you will find for under $175 anywhere. It's a pretty tight (for your rock side) and deep (for your hip-hop side) sub. You will want to add about 3/4 lb of loosely packed acoustastuff to your zenclosures box.

Does anyone else feel that this sub will outperform the alpine? I can't find any info on this company. Also, would it be a problem that it requires .85 cubic feet of air and the box only has .75? That may be splitting hairs but I just want to make sure.

As far as the amp goes, it has similar specs as the alpine and is in the same price range. Both seem to rate good so if you have had good experiences with the Rockford, I'll go with it.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:02 AM
StreetOC192

would it be a problem that it requires .85 cubic feet of air and the box only has .75?
This is the reason I recommended 3/4 lb. of acoustastuff.