Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frameless Auto-dimming Rear View Mirror with Universal Remote

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,104 Likes on 784 Posts
Default Frameless Auto-dimming Rear View Mirror with Universal Remote

Tired of looking through that big clunky rear view mirror? Maybe the years have not been kind and it rattles around or it has lost its ability stay in one position? There's an upgrade-able solution!

I was recently perusing Nissan's part catalog (don't we all?) and they were running a back-to-school sale. I came across part #: T99L1-7LG0A which is the rear view mirror featured in the new Z and several other newer Nissans. It looks very similar to the frameless mirror that came with a recent (non-Nissan) vehicle purchase. In reality, it probably is the same one since it seems like all these are made by Gentex. Anyway, the Homelink controls are on the bottom and out of sight which makes it looks pretty slick. It apparently also has the ability to control some dedicated appliance in your house (probably through some type of home automation app/setup which, no thanks). The Homelink remote is battery powered and just pops out the bottom when it's time to replace.

Installation is super easy if you already have an auto-dimming mirror with Homelink. Unclip the wiring harness. Remove the torx T20 screw from the base of your existing mirror, slide this one on, and tighten it down. Don't get too crazy with tightening since you don't want to dislodge the rear view mirror bracket which is adhered to the windshield glass. Connect the existing wiring harness and boom! All set! No need to re-pin anything or alter any other wires. A true plug n' play solution.

Installed (with my old trusty V1 and mirror mount which has probably paid for itself about 30x over at this point):

The following users liked this post:
icer5160 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM
icer5160

Received 447 Likes on 341 Posts

Hey Heel!

Great feedback, Thank You for sharing! This is very slick. Does the auto-dimming feature still work as expected? Interesting that the homelink option relies on a battery, I would have thought it got power from the vehicle, but perhaps the battery option isn't bad if you don't have the car started it should still work (in theory). I don't even use homelink on my Z with the original mirror since my Garage Door openers are connected with my Samsung SmartThings (Smart Home) setup, meaning I can whip out my mobile and open the garage doors.

Also, does the mirror come with the ball mount/extension? Like the original? Or did you need to transfer the piece from the original? Also, did you have any issues with the harness length/position? It looks like the plastic cover for the harness is missing in your Z. Is this because there's not enough cable length/slack or some other reason?
Cheers!
-Icer
Old Today, 04:53 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,104 Likes on 784 Posts

Hey Icer!

Yes - the auto-dimming works as expected. I did the quick install yesterday morning since I was taking the Z out to the office later in the day and wanted to see how I liked it. It really only should have taken about 5 minutes, but my two year old wanted to be involved and was crawling all over, pressing every button he could find, and then hiding various things. After the install, I started it and covered up the photocell sensor on the back of the mirror and it instantly started dimming as it should.

I didn't take too many pictures, but I snagged these off a fleabay ad. This is everything it came with - the full mirror assembly, remote, and mounting screw. Absolutely no need to swap over anything from the existing mirror.

I hadn't thought about the reason to change the universal garage door opener (UGDO) to battery power, but I guess that makes sense so you can use it without the car turned on. When I first got it out of the box, I pressed all the buttons and the little green indicator light lit up with each press. I guess you could also theoretically remove the opener from the mirror and program it to your door opener without being in the car. Or, according to this ad, you could remove it and take it with you. Why you would want to do that, I have no idea. lol.

I didn't get a chance to program it to any of the garage doors yet, but I assume the process is similar to most programming of just holding down the desired button to put it into "learn mode" and then pressing the applicable programming button on the garage opener. I also have a motorized gate that operates on a 433.92 MHz frequency. If I can get it to connect to that and my garage doors, then it will certainly eliminate the need to play "find the right remote" when I'm pulling up to the house.

If you don't currently use the Homelink on your current mirror (and don't have any plans to do so with this mirror), I think there is a different mirror assembly available that is a cheaper alternative. It still automatically dims, but it doesn't have the UGDO. When I was searching around, I think I remember seeing some options that were cheaper and then realized the difference since it didn't come with the opener.

There are no issues with the existing length of the wiring harness and no need to change anything else over as it comes with the articulating arm/ball assembly. As far as the missing plastic mirror finisher piece - you have a keen eye.

That's been off for about a decade. Haha. I think one of the end plastic "forks" doesn't have enough resistance to keep it in place and it kept falling off. I probably have it lying around somewhere. I seem to recall removing it for good when I hardwire-mounted my Valentine one since I ran the power to the interior fuse panel with a fuse tap. I don't see any reason that would not fit back on there.