Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

CarPuter TIME!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 06:56 PM
djwatts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CarPuter TIME!!!!!

First of all, I've searched through the forums and found a good amount of information regarding the carpc, I'm starting this thread to get detailed info on specific questions, help a Zer out.

Ok first of all I have the main part of this build the pc,
motherboard
processor
ram
harddrive
integrated audio and video(for now)

Question is regarding the power supply, did some research on mp3car.com on this and still dont get it, anybody have a diagram on the power supply??

For the screen, I know which one ill be getting but does anybody have recommendations on this? I know its been done on the 2007 models, but for the screen mounting I have a base model would I have to change out the cubby portion for the 7" screen to fit?

Lastly the audio, is it possible to keep the stock base radio in and get audio from that until I get my 4 channel amp? IF so how do I get the sound from the pc to the speakers?

Thanks
Old 11-11-2009, 07:42 PM
djwatts

Originally Posted by bigaudiofanatic
For the question about bose if you are honestly going to go threw the trouble for this computer I would not even deal with the bose system take it out and start new. There is really not a way of integrating the bose system into your computer. Start over it would be worth it.
I have the base model, it doesnt come with bose, Ill be integrating polk audio comps for the front and coax for the rear, as for the installation its going to be made out of plexiglass and placed in rear cubby behind the passenger seat, as for the power supply, Does it connect to the acc wire for the smart shutdown?
Old 11-11-2009, 07:53 PM
golfguy

You need a Carnetix power supply. It converts the 12VDC into the required voltages for your motherboard and has timing signals to shut down/hibernate your computer when you turn the key off. MP3Car sells them or you can get them other places. They have several models for various motherboards.

I have a Lilliput EBY701 screen, but they have a couple others as well. I had mine in a Mazdaspeed 6 until I traded it last week. I'm going to install it in the 2004 350z roadster I just got.

My install thread for the Speed6 is on MP3Car here if you're interested. MP3Car is a great place to pick up tips and skills. I learned everything I needed to know about screen mount fabrication there, as well as power supplies, noise suppression, etc.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:54 PM
djwatts

Thanks golf for the info, also are you using roadrunner as your front end software? If so can I download it from the mp3car site?, ill check out your thread as well, and audiofanatic I got the rears as a bundle deal really made a diff with just a stock stereo, as for the amplification Im ordering a 4 channel 680w Hifonics amp, already have my subs installed through a LOC with a mono D,
Old 11-12-2009, 07:02 PM
djwatts

Golf, as for the mounting of the screen where are your plans on mounting it? Cubby or removing the stock stereo? Also what year and model is the Z.... as for the power supply, Im assuming power/ground and remote connect as a normal amp?
Old 11-14-2009, 09:41 PM
MDK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the carpc club! Putting a pc into my z was the first thing I ever did to it, and probably one of the best. Hopefully I can help answer some of your questions.

As for the power supply, you don't need an inverter for a carpc. A DC-DC converter is what you need. These simply take 12v power from your car battery and convert it into the 12, 5, and 3.3V dc that the computer needs. Using an inverter would convert the battery power from 12vdc into AC power, and then you'd have to use an AC-DC computer power supply to convert it back to what the computer wants, at about half the efficiency of a proper dc-dc setup.

Don't bother with the carnetix. Its a great unit, but all you really need to do is grab an M4-ATX off ebay. Its cheaper (~$99), smaller, and more powerful than what carnetix makes. A proper carpc dc-dc converter will also solve the issue of turning your amps on and off with the pc. Booting the pc is usually done with a remote wire into the dc-dc converter just like an amplifier.

As far as mounting the screen, you have two good options on the Z. The cheapest is to mount it in the radio location. Some screens (like the eby701) fit in perfectly with no modification. If you're going to mount the screen in the radio location, make sure you get a transflective screen or you won't be reading much of it when the sun hits it.

Your second option is to use the navigation housing from a Z with navigation. This is more expensive if you have a non-navigation model Z, as the housing is generally well over $100. The plus side is that if you mount it using a navigation housing you should be able to get away with a standard screen, I have an $80 Samsung up there and it works fine. Don't expect to be able to get the motorized lid working easily, although I'm playing around with a FusionBrain to hopefully get this working on my car.

As for running your audio through the stock head unit: as others have suggested, don't bother; it will sound just as bad as the stock head unit already does. If you already have amplifiers as you say then its just as simple as connecting the pc right to them. You'll have much cleaner sound even if you're just using the onboard audio. You shouldn't lose any functionality by getting rid of the stock head unit. If you really want that FM radio, you can get a USB tuner for less than a tank of gas. I don't have one in my car; between MP3's, Sirius, and internet radio I don't miss FM at all.

If you go with an amp as powerful as that, please be sure to install a proper gauge speaker wire so you don't burn your car down. If you're doing the install yourself be sure to do everything safely.

The Hi-Fonics is a pretty big unit. Where are you planning on installing it?
Old 11-15-2009, 03:30 AM
djwatts

Originally Posted by MDK
Welcome to the carpc club! Putting a pc into my z was the first thing I ever did to it, and probably one of the best. Hopefully I can help answer some of your questions.

Any Pics?

As for the power supply, you don't need an inverter for a carpc. A DC-DC converter is what you need. These simply take 12v power from your car battery and convert it into the 12, 5, and 3.3V dc that the computer needs. Using an inverter would convert the battery power from 12vdc into AC power, and then you'd have to use an AC-DC computer power supply to convert it back to what the computer wants, at about half the efficiency of a proper dc-dc setup.

Don't bother with the carnetix. Its a great unit, but all you really need to do is grab an M4-ATX off ebay. Its cheaper (~$99), smaller, and more powerful than what carnetix makes. A proper carpc dc-dc converter will also solve the issue of turning your amps on and off with the pc. Booting the pc is usually done with a remote wire into the dc-dc converter just like an amplifier.

So for power all I need this M4-ATX?

As far as mounting the screen, you have two good options on the Z. The cheapest is to mount it in the radio location. Some screens (like the eby701) fit in perfectly with no modification. If you're going to mount the screen in the radio location, make sure you get a transflective screen or you won't be reading much of it when the sun hits it.

As for the screen I was kinda searching into purchasing the navi console and have the screen in the cubby, from the searches I've made this looks like the cleanest way of doing it, but spending $200 bucks on just that seems a lil too pricey, Ill remove my stock headunit and place the monitor their.

Your second option is to use the navigation housing from a Z with navigation. This is more expensive if you have a non-navigation model Z, as the housing is generally well over $100. The plus side is that if you mount it using a navigation housing you should be able to get away with a standard screen, I have an $80 Samsung up there and it works fine. Don't expect to be able to get the motorized lid working easily, although I'm playing around with a FusionBrain to hopefully get this working on my car.

As for running your audio through the stock head unit: as others have suggested, don't bother; it will sound just as bad as the stock head unit already does. If you already have amplifiers as you say then its just as simple as connecting the pc right to them. You'll have much cleaner sound even if you're just using the onboard audio. You shouldn't lose any functionality by getting rid of the stock head unit. If you really want that FM radio, you can get a USB tuner for less than a tank of gas. I don't have one in my car; between MP3's, Sirius, and internet radio I don't miss FM at all.

Im completely fine with losing the stereo, I kinda was aiming for an oem look but its fine, what provider are you using for wireless internet? What are the pros/cons of going that route?

If you go with an amp as powerful as that, please be sure to install a proper gauge speaker wire so you don't burn your car down. If you're doing the install yourself be sure to do everything safely.

Like I posted before I have the mono D 2600w Hifonics amp with 0 gauge wiring behind the driver seat in the cubby, For my 4 channel amp I was thinking of using the cubby behind the passenger seat, and wiring on that will be the same I have a distribution block already back their, ready for a second amp and anything else I throw at it.

The Hi-Fonics is a pretty big unit. Where are you planning on installing it?
Lastly, for the frontend software what are you using and where are you getting the download file from?
Thanks
Old 11-15-2009, 03:34 AM
djwatts

One more thing, I was looking at the M4-ATX unit and , the 12 or 24 pin not sure how many, but that unit goes in place of the actual power supply correct? Just plug and play with connecting a power/ground/ and remote to ignition?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:04 AM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djwatts
One more thing, I was looking at the M4-ATX unit and , the 12 or 24 pin not sure how many, but that unit goes in place of the actual power supply correct? Just plug and play with connecting a power/ground/ and remote to ignition?
The M4-ATX is the power supply. The vehicle side connects like most electronic devices to the car. The PC side, connects just like a standard PC power supply.

Last edited by T_K; 11-15-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:47 AM
adamtaylorpcb

anyone know the sound board that has 8 channel output on it via rca's?

i thought i saved it but i cant find it now
Old 11-15-2009, 11:25 AM
adamtaylorpcb

found it
http://www.audiotrak.net/products/prodigy71hifi/
Old 11-15-2009, 02:37 PM
MDK

The last pics I have were from last year before I added most of the cool stuff. I'll get pics whenever I get around to putting some serious work into it. Unfortunately I've been far to busy with school and getting my beater roadworthy for winter when I'll store the Z.

The M4-ATX is the power supply. It has 3 power connections: the positive which connects to the car battery, the ground which connects to the car chassis, and a remote wire which connects to the ignition to provide powerup just like an amplifier. On the output side of the M4 you have a standard 24pin atx-connector which powers the motherboard, as well as a few molex connectors for a limited number of drives. It also provides an output to turn on your amplifier after the computer boots; doing it this way prevents the "thump" you get when the sound card comes online. The M4 also has a usb hookup for monitoring the M4 with the computer.

Installing with the navigation housing is by far the cleanest option, but yeah it can be pricey. I'd just watch ebay and the trade forums for a cheap one to come along... mine was $80 bucks. Installing in the radio housing can look just as clean if its done right, but unfortunately it puts your screen a lower (more head movement to see the screen- eyes off the road longer) and is more prone to sunlight washout in this mounting.

For wireless internet I'm just tethering with my cellphone. I'm not sure what you mean about pros/cons, its fast enough to stream shoutcast radio (verizon 3g) and do just about anything else you'd want to in a car. A usb FM tuner is just that, you wouldn't need a cell connection.

It sounds like you know what you're doing with the wiring, which is good. I just wanted to emphasize the importance of being careful with high power amps like that, it would be a shame to burn the car down for the sake of loud music. I rewired all my speakers with 12ga KnuKonceptz cable by drilling out the door connectors. I get much, much cleaner signal this way without having to worry about electrical fires.

Originally Posted by djwatts
Lastly, for the frontend software what are you using and where are you getting the download file from?
Thanks
I use roadrunner right now with the E-Lite skin. The only download location is on a 3rd party site which requires registration, but the download is still free (and you can give them bogus info if you really feel like it) The best place for info on this is the MP3car.com forums.

You don't need a soundcard with RCA outputs. A 3.5mm->rca cable works fine. I use two of these made by KnuKonceptz to connect my Auzentech X-Meridian right up to my Alpine PDX 4.100.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:31 AM
djwatts

Originally Posted by MDK
The last pics I have were from last year before I added most of the cool stuff. I'll get pics whenever I get around to putting some serious work into it. Unfortunately I've been far to busy with school and getting my beater roadworthy for winter when I'll store the Z.

The M4-ATX is the power supply. It has 3 power connections: the positive which connects to the car battery, the ground which connects to the car chassis, and a remote wire which connects to the ignition to provide powerup just like an amplifier. On the output side of the M4 you have a standard 24pin atx-connector which powers the motherboard, as well as a few molex connectors for a limited number of drives. It also provides an output to turn on your amplifier after the computer boots; doing it this way prevents the "thump" you get when the sound card comes online. The M4 also has a usb hookup for monitoring the M4 with the computer.

Installing with the navigation housing is by far the cleanest option, but yeah it can be pricey. I'd just watch ebay and the trade forums for a cheap one to come along... mine was $80 bucks. Installing in the radio housing can look just as clean if its done right, but unfortunately it puts your screen a lower (more head movement to see the screen- eyes off the road longer) and is more prone to sunlight washout in this mounting.

For wireless internet I'm just tethering with my cellphone. I'm not sure what you mean about pros/cons, its fast enough to stream shoutcast radio (verizon 3g) and do just about anything else you'd want to in a car. A usb FM tuner is just that, you wouldn't need a cell connection.

It sounds like you know what you're doing with the wiring, which is good. I just wanted to emphasize the importance of being careful with high power amps like that, it would be a shame to burn the car down for the sake of loud music. I rewired all my speakers with 12ga KnuKonceptz cable by drilling out the door connectors. I get much, much cleaner signal this way without having to worry about electrical fires.

I use roadrunner right now with the E-Lite skin. The only download location is on a 3rd party site which requires registration, but the download is still free (and you can give them bogus info if you really feel like it) The best place for info on this is the MP3car.com forums.

You don't need a soundcard with RCA outputs. A 3.5mm->rca cable works fine. I use two of these made by KnuKonceptz to connect my Auzentech X-Meridian right up to my Alpine PDX 4.100.

Im not the best when it comes down to wiring but I know enough to get what I want hooked up correctly and safely, so far no sparks or anything from my wiring so I think a job well done. As for rewiring the door speakers to a 12gauge I think ill be going that route as well,

As for software roadrunner seems like everyone at mp3car is what there using so this is what Ill go with as well, When I get everything hooked up ill post pics on my install.

Still need lots of ordering to do
Old 11-16-2009, 07:47 AM
adamtaylorpcb

Originally Posted by MDK

you do if you want to run a fully active system off of the pc so you can do T/A, crossover, EQ work. not everyone uses simple 2-way stuff.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:55 PM
MDK

Originally Posted by adamtaylorpcb
you do if you want to run a fully active system off of the pc so you can do T/A, crossover, EQ work. not everyone uses simple 2-way stuff.
I guess I'm missing something here. What benefit would having stereo output via RCA connectors have over stereo output via 3.5mm connectors?
Old 11-18-2009, 05:18 AM
djwatts

Originally Posted by MDK
I guess I'm missing something here. What benefit would having stereo output via RCA connectors have over stereo output via 3.5mm connectors?
Their shouldn't be a difference since you'll be getting audio through both an auxiliary connection, as well as through RCA.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:30 AM
adamtaylorpcb

but if your running an active setup with independent amps you will want the multiple line outputs

auxiliary and RCA are both stereo connections
Old 11-20-2009, 08:50 PM
MDK

Originally Posted by adamtaylorpcb
but if your running an active setup with independent amps you will want the multiple line outputs

auxiliary and RCA are both stereo connections
Ah, ok.

Yeah the X-Meridian is an 8 channel sound card. No problems there. The only difference is the size of the connector. To get 4 stereo pairs on a single pci-bracket you're going to need to use 3.5mm plugs. Just make sure you use a high quality cable and you'll never know the difference (there isn't one).