Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Is it possible to get surround sound....?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 11:12 PM
MikeBit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to get surround sound....?

Just like the subject is asking.... is it possible to get a sound system that is surround sound? I see all these crazy subwuffer combinations and whatnot, but the kind of sound I'm looking for is..... the kind of sound you get in an Acura RDX w/Technology Package. Has anyone ever sat in one of those things with the music blasting?! MOST RIDICULOUSLY BEAUTIFUL SOUND EVER. That's what I'm looking for. I found out that it has a Dolby Pro Logic II Surround Sound system. WHOA. I never heard of a car with surround sound before. lmao. So.... is it?
Old 11-16-2009, 01:37 AM
dkwang

Is that really the question you really want to be asking?

Yes, it is possible to get a sound exceeding a stock Acura RDX w/ Technology Package.

We done? :P
Old 11-16-2009, 06:07 AM
StreetOC192

It is VERY possible to achieve in a 350Z. You just need the right equipment, a proper install and a great tune. You can easily exceed that sound quality of this Acura RDX Tech package you speak of.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:37 AM
xzotklr

Originally Posted by MikeBit
Just like the subject is asking.... is it possible to get a sound system that is surround sound? I see all these crazy subwuffer combinations and whatnot, but the kind of sound I'm looking for is..... the kind of sound you get in an Acura RDX w/Technology Package. Has anyone ever sat in one of those things with the music blasting?! MOST RIDICULOUSLY BEAUTIFUL SOUND EVER. That's what I'm looking for. I found out that it has a Dolby Pro Logic II Surround Sound system. WHOA. I never heard of a car with surround sound before. lmao. So.... is it?
J have surround sound in my Z. I currently have a 5.1 audio set-up. I can listen to MP3's, CD's & watch movies.

My audio package consists of following:

Kenwood Excelon DNX8120 H/U (w/ Nav, bluetooth etc)
JL Audio 600/4 amp
JL Audio 500/1 amp
cente channel speaker (in custom enclosure on)
DynAudio 6.5" mid woofers & Panasonic 1.5" tweeters in the doors
DynAudio 6.5" mid woofers & tweeters behind the seats
3 JL Audio W3's in custom enclosure underneath rear strut brace

The sound is incredible!!!
Old 11-16-2009, 06:37 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

To get surround sound you must be surrounded by speakers. Maybe 10.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:42 AM
xzotklr

I have eleven so far.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:52 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

<--- Doesn't get the point of surround sound in a two-seater sports car like the Z.

To each his own I suppose.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:07 AM
xzotklr

Hey Kwame...not everyone can put together a killer system like you have!!! YOU are the man...the Audio King....long live the king!!

Maybe I'll get a listen next time I'm by the shop. I would love to hear what it sounds like!!
Old 11-16-2009, 07:08 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xzotklr
I have eleven so far.
You must have added a front center speaker. I forgot about that.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:24 AM
Kwame

Hey Kwame...not everyone can put together a killer system like you have!!! YOU are the man...the Audio King....long live the king!!

Maybe I'll get a listen next time I'm by the shop. I would love to hear what it sounds like!!
No offense, but who is this? I don't recognize this screen name.

I didn't mean to put down your setup at all and I'm definitely not trying to infer that my setup is better than anyone else's (I wasn't sure if you were actually complimenting my setup or being sarcastic). I guess I'm just the type of individual who enjoys listening to music in the car as I'm driving in which i don't see the benefits of a surround sound system. If we were being driven around in Rolls Royce Phantoms and Maybach 62s then I could see my fat *** lounging in the back enjoying a surround sound system as I watched some movies. I guess I don't consider the Z a comfortable enough place I'd like to watch a movie (I've tired it and did not enjoy it).

If you are being candid you are more than welcome to stop by and listen to my setup any time (car will be stored at the shop starting around X-mas time).
Old 11-16-2009, 08:18 AM
xzotklr

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
No offense, but who is this? I don't recognize this screen name.

I didn't mean to put down your setup at all and I'm definitely not trying to infer that my setup is better than anyone else's (I wasn't sure if you were actually complimenting my setup or being sarcastic). I guess I'm just the type of individual who enjoys listening to music in the car as I'm driving in which i don't see the benefits of a surround sound system. If we were being driven around in Rolls Royce Phantoms and Maybach 62s then I could see my fat *** lounging in the back enjoying a surround sound system as I watched some movies. I guess I don't consider the Z a comfortable enough place I'd like to watch a movie (I've tired it and did not enjoy it).

If you are being candid you are more than welcome to stop by and listen to my setup any time (car will be stored at the shop starting around X-mas time).
Kwame...we met at a TSZ33 dinner awhile back. I have the yellow Z with Volks & yellow Stoptech's ( which Adam sold me). I come to the shop from time to time when I have orders.

I took no offense and meant no sarcasm. You have a killer system that I can only dream of. I have alot of respect for what you have done with your car. The people on this board take inspiration from what you've done.

And you are right... a Z is not the best place to watch a movie. lol

Cool..I'll try to pass by and check it out in person!!

Last edited by xzotklr; 11-16-2009 at 08:20 AM. Reason: add text
Old 11-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Kwame

^Adrian? Didn't you have another.... Anyway, I guess you can explain that to me in person. lol.

Adrian I am well aware of who you are, all you had to do was mention your name, lol. I remember when you posted up your install from Wicked C.A.S. when you had it done. Great install by the way. You'll have to demo it for me and perhaps turn me into a believer of surround sound in the Z . Oh and thanks for the kind words (even though I disagree with them )
Old 11-16-2009, 01:41 PM
MikeBit

J have surround sound in my Z. I currently have a 5.1 audio set-up. I can listen to MP3's, CD's & watch movies.

My audio package consists of following:

Kenwood Excelon DNX8120 H/U (w/ Nav, bluetooth etc)
JL Audio 600/4 amp
JL Audio 500/1 amp
cente channel speaker (in custom enclosure on)
DynAudio 6.5" mid woofers & Panasonic 1.5" tweeters in the doors
DynAudio 6.5" mid woofers & tweeters behind the seats
3 JL Audio W3's in custom enclosure underneath rear strut brace

The sound is incredible!!!
Whoa, dude! Thank you so much! How much did all this cost you? Did you have someone install the whole thing for you, or did you buy the parts and just went to get them installed? Thanks guys. At least now I know it's possible to achieve the killer sound that I'm looking for. Very much appreciated, folks. And kwame.... yeah man, we all have our tastes. I personally just love music. I can't live without a good sound system. Listening to jazz will be so sick. But you don't have surround sound and xzo is claiming you have a killer setup yourself.... I'd love to know what you have, if you don't mind me asking. If you're saying surround sound isn't necessary, that's something I'll also consider. I love to hear new things from professionals. You guys are my professionals, as for me I'm just newb.

Last edited by MikeBit; 11-16-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The thing with music in surround sound is it needs to be recorded in surround sound, which often times, means it needs to be remixed. For that reason, there is just not alot of titles out there (depends what you listen to of course).

The DTS recorded cd's I've heard were excellent - but you can't go into any store and buy 'em, and alot of times, they take awhile to get.

I had a 5.1 setup in my S2000 back in the day. It was neat from a novelty standpoint, but I found myself rarely using it for anything but stereo music (there were next to 0 5.1 cd's at that point). When I did the setup in my Z the first time I had the whole double din dvd player, etc. Again, I rarely ever used it to watch a movie...so I gave up and redid the system.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Kwame

Originally Posted by MikeBit
Whoa, dude! Thank you so much! How much did all this cost you? Did you have someone install the whole thing for you, or did you buy the parts and just went to get them installed? Thanks guys. At least now I know it's possible to achieve the killer sound that I'm looking for. Very much appreciated, folks. And kwame.... yeah man, we all have our tastes. I personally just love music. I can't live without a good sound system. Listening to jazz will be so sick. But you don't have surround sound and xzo is claiming you have a killer setup yourself.... I'd love to know what you have, if you don't mind me asking. If you're saying surround sound isn't necessary, that's something I'll also consider. I love to hear new things from professionals. You guys are my professionals, as for me I'm just newb.
My Install:
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-build...-inside-9.html

Xzotklr's install:
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...e-install.html
Old 11-16-2009, 03:28 PM
MikeBit

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
The thing with music in surround sound is it needs to be recorded in surround sound, which often times, means it needs to be remixed. For that reason, there is just not alot of titles out there (depends what you listen to of course).

The DTS recorded cd's I've heard were excellent - but you can't go into any store and buy 'em, and alot of times, they take awhile to get.

I had a 5.1 setup in my S2000 back in the day. It was neat from a novelty standpoint, but I found myself rarely using it for anything but stereo music (there were next to 0 5.1 cd's at that point). When I did the setup in my Z the first time I had the whole double din dvd player, etc. Again, I rarely ever used it to watch a movie...so I gave up and redid the system.
Z1, thank you very much for this input. Very, very much appreciated. I did not know this, and will take it into major consideration when upgrading my system.

Kwame, thank you for the two links. I will read from start to finish. Thanks a bunch you guys. If anyone has any recommendations for a HU, do tell. There's so many of them. Range I'm looking for: anywhere from 400-1000. I'm not going to watch DVD's in my Z so.... exclude any of those features. haha.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Mcintosh

it's as no frills as you get....and sound quality is exceptional (I'm biased though)

there are several good hu's out there. Make a list of the features you want, it becomes easier to make suggestions
Old 11-16-2009, 03:39 PM
MikeBit

w.....t......f........

hail to the both of you. i am envious.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:42 PM
MikeBit

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Mcintosh

it's as no frills as you get....and sound quality is exceptional (I'm biased though)

there are several good hu's out there. Make a list of the features you want, it becomes easier to make suggestions
Hey mate, I totally understand what you mean by features and how it would help you decide what to recommend. But you see..... that's my problem.... I'm bad with that. My electronic skittles are close to null. That's why I have turned to you all. Jeez, look at all the crazy sponsors on these forums. You guys are everywhere

This is why I ask ALL OF YOU.... which features SHOULD I look for....? Here's the thing... I don't want super crazy bass like a lot of guys do. You know? I mean, I think for what I want, a single 10' sub would suffice. My main problem is HU, and speakers. Totally suck with reading about electronics. UGH.

You guys are great, thanks.

Last edited by MikeBit; 11-16-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

ok, well feature wise in a headunit, let's start there

do you want/need things like navigation? do you have an ipod? do you use it in the car?

neither Kwame nor myself like crazy bass either - we both prefer more balanced approaches to music, if it its rap. I think I can speak for him when I say, we would prefer to hear it as it was heard in the studio, when the mix was finalized. Kwame's setup is more involved than mine, and sounds fasntasic. My setup is a bit more basic, but for the music I listen to, is nothing short of amazing.

The first thing you really have to do is set a budget - once you know what you're comfortable spending, the rest sorta falls into place pretty easily

Quick Reply: Is it possible to get surround sound....?