Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Is it possible to get surround sound....?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 01:58 AM
MikeBit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TWO speakers, tweeters, a sub, amp and a HU can sound THAT good? still having a hard time believing this

where the heck do you guys live? i'd love to go to a Z meet and meet you guys. I want to hear those sound systems, man!!!!!!!!!!!!! Z1, you're in Long Island
Old 11-22-2009, 02:56 PM
06g35meister

Originally Posted by MikeBit
TWO speakers, tweeters, a sub, amp and a HU can sound THAT good? still having a hard time believing this

where the heck do you guys live? i'd love to go to a Z meet and meet you guys. I want to hear those sound systems, man!!!!!!!!!!!!! Z1, you're in Long Island
thats components for ya.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

It sounds great in a small compartment (i.e., “listening space”) as is the Z’s interior. You wouldn’t do the same thing in your living room (where you have a great deal more separation and you would set up a 5.1 or 7.1 configuration).

To make sense of this: Think of it as the next step past some great headphones, only the speaker components are just a couple of feet away from, instead of against, your ears. That is the challenge when staging great sound inside a small car.

--Spike
Old 11-22-2009, 08:45 PM
MikeBit

Wow... so I only need 2 uber l337 component speakers and some tweeters. I dont want to misunderstand but according to what I read from Z1, JL are quite expensive and I can find better quality speakers for the same money? There are tons to choose from, what kinds do all of you own? I don't know jack squat about teeters, either. I drove a 1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse (base.... 92bhp lmao) for 4 years before I got this Z, and it had tweeters in the rear but they didn't work. I think my brother's Integra GS-R also was like this. Just need some direction... it'll save me having to do a ton of research, you know what I mean? It's one thing to look up something, and it's another when you actually sorta know where to look.

You guys have been a TON of help it's ridiculous. So.... what did you all do with your rear speakers?
Old 11-23-2009, 04:44 AM
StreetOC192

So.... what did you all do with your rear speakers?
Mine are still installed, but disconnected.

JL Audio makes fine gear, but you will find that what Z1 said (and most others on this forum will agree) that JL is overpriced for what you get. You can typically get equal and often better gear for the same or less money.

You can get all of the advice you want from people on this forum, but it is ultimately your car, and you are the one who has to listen to it every day. Everyone's taste is different. You should ideally visit some shops and listen to as many component sets as possible and formulate your own ideals as to what sounds best to YOU*. Compile a list of your favorites and come back here if you need some further help deciding.

A component set typically comes with 2 mid woofers, 2 tweeters and 2 crossover networks tuned specifically for the set. It takes the guess work out of pairing mids and tweeters.

* Listening in a store is not going to be 100% like listening in a car, but at least you will get an idea if you like crisp or subdued highs, muddy or tight bass, etc.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:44 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is going to be a Car Audio Sound meet on December 5th. There will be a few competition cars there. I will have my Z there. PM me if you want the details.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:02 PM
MikeBit

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
Mine are still installed, but disconnected.

JL Audio makes fine gear, but you will find that what Z1 said (and most others on this forum will agree) that JL is overpriced for what you get. You can typically get equal and often better gear for the same or less money.

You can get all of the advice you want from people on this forum, but it is ultimately your car, and you are the one who has to listen to it every day. Everyone's taste is different. You should ideally visit some shops and listen to as many component sets as possible and formulate your own ideals as to what sounds best to YOU*. Compile a list of your favorites and come back here if you need some further help deciding.

A component set typically comes with 2 mid woofers, 2 tweeters and 2 crossover networks tuned specifically for the set. It takes the guess work out of pairing mids and tweeters.

* Listening in a store is not going to be 100% like listening in a car, but at least you will get an idea if you like crisp or subdued highs, muddy or tight bass, etc.

That's a very good point to make.... I know it's my car and ultimately it's my decision and everyone's tastes are different. Thanks for the tip, I just need to find a place around the SoCal area that specializes in car audio. I don't know about the rest of you but I simply don't trust Best Buy. I used to work for Circuit City and let me tell you, the car audio guys half assed their jobs countless times. I made my decision from that point on that if I were to get a system installed, it wouldn't be at CCity or BB (now CCity is gone so that leaves BB). But I'll do that... when I got the time, I'll find out what I like.

Thanks Street

*EDIT* GO LAKERS.

Last edited by MikeBit; 11-24-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:00 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there have been some great points mentioned about this, and i will add my bit.

1. is it possible to do a true great sounding surround system in the Z? yes its possible in virtually any car.

2. to do it right you need several things, a good surround processor, quality equipment (of course) and placement.

3. among the biggest challenges for a nice sounidng 5.1 surround system in the Z is the location of the rear speakers. simply put they are way to close and way to close to your head. it would take an insane amount of time alignment to get it sounding realistic. if i were ever tasked to do a true sq 5.1 system in the Z, i would probably have speakers molded somwhere inthe hatch as an alternative.

4. also have to ask yourself just how much surround material you listen to, namely dvd audio and of course, dvds.

5. in general, for a car like the Z, if you standard of sound quality is the same, doing a true 5.1 system will invariable cost you roughly twice to three times as a 2.1 again, this is assuming you want to keep the same standard in terms of sound quality coming out of the drivers

mike, since you are down in socal, see if the diyma december 5th meet will have gary's mercedes Cclass car, that is hands down one of hte best sounding surround cars i have heard...but then again, keep in mind that just equi0pment along in that car is pushing 15k if not more. but listen to it and then you will see waht truely great surround sound is like hehe

b
Old 11-25-2009, 10:36 AM
MikeBit

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
there have been some great points mentioned about this, and i will add my bit.

1. is it possible to do a true great sounding surround system in the Z? yes its possible in virtually any car.

2. to do it right you need several things, a good surround processor, quality equipment (of course) and placement.

3. among the biggest challenges for a nice sounidng 5.1 surround system in the Z is the location of the rear speakers. simply put they are way to close and way to close to your head. it would take an insane amount of time alignment to get it sounding realistic. if i were ever tasked to do a true sq 5.1 system in the Z, i would probably have speakers molded somwhere inthe hatch as an alternative.

4. also have to ask yourself just how much surround material you listen to, namely dvd audio and of course, dvds.

5. in general, for a car like the Z, if you standard of sound quality is the same, doing a true 5.1 system will invariable cost you roughly twice to three times as a 2.1 again, this is assuming you want to keep the same standard in terms of sound quality coming out of the drivers

mike, since you are down in socal, see if the diyma december 5th meet will have gary's mercedes Cclass car, that is hands down one of hte best sounding surround cars i have heard...but then again, keep in mind that just equi0pment along in that car is pushing 15k if not more. but listen to it and then you will see waht truely great surround sound is like hehe

b

Hahaha! Yeah, Mando (TheDuke) gave me the heads up on this meet on December 5th. I'm going to try and squeeze it into my schedule (finals week starts on the 7th yikes!). Based off of what everyone's been telling me, I'm not going to go with a 5.1 surround sound. It takes a lot of work and there aren't that many recorded cd's and whatnot that are even in surround sound format. This is why I came to the forums.... to get ideas and make decisions and EVERYONE'S been such a big help. I'm going for a SQ build, and that itself will blow my mind. Bing, sent you another PM - Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Old 11-30-2009, 06:26 PM
06g35meister

Hahaha! Yeah, Mando (TheDuke) gave me the heads up on this meet on December 5th. I'm going to try and squeeze it into my schedule (finals week starts on the 7th yikes!). Based off of what everyone's been telling me, I'm not going to go with a 5.1 surround sound. It takes a lot of work and there aren't that many recorded cd's and whatnot that are even in surround sound format. This is why I came to the forums.... to get ideas and make decisions and EVERYONE'S been such a big help. I'm going for a SQ build, and that itself will blow my mind. Bing, sent you another PM - Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Ordered stage 1 of my overhaul:
Kenwood Excelon DNX9140, Sattelite Radio, bacup camera, ipod connector, and a few other toys for it.

13 channel EQ for fronts, rears, and sub, with digital time delay for each channel.

Last edited by 06g35meister; 11-30-2009 at 06:28 PM.