Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Is it possible to get surround sound....?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 04:11 PM
MikeBit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
ok, well feature wise in a headunit, let's start there

do you want/need things like navigation? do you have an ipod? do you use it in the car?

neither Kwame nor myself like crazy bass either - we both prefer more balanced approaches to music, if it its rap. I think I can speak for him when I say, we would prefer to hear it as it was heard in the studio, when the mix was finalized. Kwame's setup is more involved than mine, and sounds fasntasic. My setup is a bit more basic, but for the music I listen to, is nothing short of amazing.

The first thing you really have to do is set a budget - once you know what you're comfortable spending, the rest sorta falls into place pretty easily
Alright!!! Looks like you're my kind of guy to talk to, because I'm not looking for the crazy involvement both kwame and xzotklr did. I mean, damn I wish I could get that involved but my budget wont let me. Props to the both of you guys on your systems, I would LOVE to hear what that sounds like!!!

I dont need navigation. I use my phone for navigation lol. ipod = useless to me. MP3 playback will do. That alone will cut costs bigtime for me, at least I think so. What matters to me are the settings the HU is capable of doing. The more I can fiddle around with highs/lows/mids/bass, the better. I'm just looking for something more basic as well, like you said. If your car sounds amazing, thats plenty good enough for me. Budget.... lets see.... 1300-2000. I hope that helps. Thanks, Z1 !
Old 11-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, my setup was pricey too, more because of the equipment I used...but overall it's a simple setup - just front components, 1 amp, headunit, and 1 sub. I never really sat down to figure it out, but it wasn't cheap.

The better your equipment is, and the better it's setup, the less you find yourself having to fiddle with the settings. On mine, just as an example - I have a volume controller for the sub, and your normal bass/tremble ****. On the McIntosh, that **** either adds in treble (and takes away bass) or adds in bass (and takes away tremble). It is as simple as it gets. But, it sounds awesome. I leave the bass/treble in the center, and just alter the sub bass volume to suit the song I am listening to.

$1200-$1300 for a headunit alone? Let us know what your budget is for the whole setup...makes it alot easier to make suggestions.

There are several really, really good sources of info in the audio section here - I don't know a fraction of what some of the guys here do, but I've been around the block more than once, so I have picked up some info along the way
Old 11-16-2009, 05:07 PM
MikeBit

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Well, my setup was pricey too, more because of the equipment I used...but overall it's a simple setup - just front components, 1 amp, headunit, and 1 sub. I never really sat down to figure it out, but it wasn't cheap.

The better your equipment is, and the better it's setup, the less you find yourself having to fiddle with the settings. On mine, just as an example - I have a volume controller for the sub, and your normal bass/tremble ****. On the McIntosh, that **** either adds in treble (and takes away bass) or adds in bass (and takes away tremble). It is as simple as it gets. But, it sounds awesome. I leave the bass/treble in the center, and just alter the sub bass volume to suit the song I am listening to.

$1200-$1300 for a headunit alone? Let us know what your budget is for the whole setup...makes it alot easier to make suggestions.

There are several really, really good sources of info in the audio section here - I don't know a fraction of what some of the guys here do, but I've been around the block more than once, so I have picked up some info along the way
I'll be sure to check out the posts, right now I'm studying for a marketing midterm along with an accounting midterm so I wont get to it until at least tomorrow. As far as the HU goes, do they make that big a difference in sound? I don't want to spend THAT much on a HU.... unless it completely helps the sound. I'm more concerned about speaker/sub/amp setup. I know you need the HU to power everything, but when it comes to sound itself... does the HU have an effect? Max on a headunit... I'm going to say..... 800. I'd love to have that bass adjuster you're talking about. $2000 max total. Is that enough for something like yours? How much did you throw into it? Simple is better, imo but yeah simple doesn't necessarily mean cheap!

Last edited by MikeBit; 11-16-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Good thread…

My thoughts:
  • Surround sound (5.1) in your home theater sounds great because you have a room (a comparatively large listening space) where you can easily place speakers and stage sound. A 5.1 setup uses a visual (a large screen) as well as the sound, so that your sound comes from what’s happening on the screen to provide a realistic listening and visual experience. Doing the same thing in the small compartment of a 350z is very difficult.

• In a car you want left and right sound to be distinct to both the driver and the passenger. Accomplishing this is tricky when both passenger and driver are on top of the speakers. Directing the midrange and low frequencies isn’t difficult, but higher frequencies can be a challenge if you want this sound equal but distinct for both the driver and the passenger. The goal is getting these sounds ending-up near the center of the car between the driver and the passenger (but not exactly at that center point so that you preserve distinct left and right sound).

• My solution for handling high frequency direction in a car is using the front windscreen and bouncing the tweeters off this to place the sound between the driver and passenger without adjusting right and left balance. I call this the “concert-shell solution.”

• I realize that some people will not agree with this, and instead prefer pointing tweeter output directly from kick-positions, door pods, or A-Pillar pods.

• 5.1 uses a center speaker which is great in a room-sized setup, but that effectively defeats the structure I describe above to get left and right distinctive sound channels in a small car interior.

• You don’t need rear left and right speakers in a car; but if you want these, they don’t hurt the sound and can be beneficial if you install decent speakers.

• A SubW is always good since most modern sound recording expect this device to be available, and use this to deliver better sound.
Whew… finally… My point is simply that most modern sound recordings favor left and right sound with SubW support. If you like to watch movies in your car on a 7” screen, possibly a 5.1 setup maybe what you want.

--Spike

PS: I sure hope no one asks about 7.1 for a car.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:43 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MikeBit
I'll be sure to check out the posts, right now I'm studying for a marketing midterm along with an accounting midterm so I wont get to it until at least tomorrow. As far as the HU goes, do they make that big a difference in sound? I don't want to spend THAT much on a HU.... unless it completely helps the sound. I'm more concerned about speaker/sub/amp setup. I know you need the HU to power everything, but when it comes to sound itself... does the HU have an effect? Max on a headunit... I'm going to say..... 800. I'd love to have that bass adjuster you're talking about. $2000 max total. Is that enough for something like yours? How much did you throw into it? Simple is better, imo but yeah simple doesn't necessarily mean cheap!

Yes, the HU has a very significant affect on the overall sound

My setup was significantly more, but again, I am using pretty high end stuff.

So, just so we're on the same page - is $2000 your total budget for all the equipment you need? Are you factoring in install costs as well?
Old 11-17-2009, 06:26 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

as mentioned, some music out there is recorded specifically IN surround - and it absolutely blows away "stereo" music
Old 11-17-2009, 06:29 AM
RaeZ

@bigaudiofanatic: jazz recorded for 7.1 on a 7.1 system is nice

but as mentioned earlier how much music is really released for SS?

and to add to bigaudiofanatic's point...what is the point in a Z?
Old 11-18-2009, 04:21 AM
StreetOC192

While I don't personally own any, several of my friends have relatively large DVD-A and SACD collections that were remastered or recorded in surround. They provide an amazingly immersive experience. My co-worker has a 2006 Acura TL with that ELS system in it, and for a factory system I was pretty impressed with the sample DVD-A they provide with the car. Sure it's lacking true sub bass, but the mids and highs sounded fantastic. And you truly do hear the individual instruments coming from different points all around you.

While I agree with bigaudiofanatic that it's not a huge thing any more and are hard to find, I will acknowledge that it does exist and those that have spent good amounts of money for these extremely well produced and recorded discs want to reap the benefits by listening through a well assembled and tuned system. I disagree that "No point to even get suround in a z or a car for that matter maybe a van."

I don't see ANY reason why you shouldn't do this in a Z. Surround sound is surround sound. Whether it be in a Z or a Suburban, who cares.....the end goal/effect is the same.

Last edited by StreetOC192; 11-18-2009 at 04:23 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:22 AM
MikeBit

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
While I don't personally own any, several of my friends have relatively large DVD-A and SACD collections that were remastered or recorded in surround. They provide an amazingly immersive experience. My co-worker has a 2006 Acura TL with that ELS system in it, and for a factory system I was pretty impressed with the sample DVD-A they provide with the car. Sure it's lacking true sub bass, but the mids and highs sounded fantastic. And you truly do hear the individual instruments coming from different points all around you.

While I agree with bigaudiofanatic that it's not a huge thing any more and are hard to find, I will acknowledge that it does exist and those that have spent good amounts of money for these extremely well produced and recorded discs want to reap the benefits by listening through a well assembled and tuned system. I disagree that "No point to even get suround in a z or a car for that matter maybe a van."

I don't see ANY reason why you shouldn't do this in a Z. Surround sound is surround sound. Whether it be in a Z or a Suburban, who cares.....the end goal/effect is the same.
Haha! So you know exactly what I'm talking about! Isn't that sound just INSANELY ?!?! immerse was the perfect word to use!

Based off of what everyone is telling me, it seems like SS, even though I would absolutely love it, is not the choice to make. I can get a really good system without the hassle of needing surround sound recorded discs so on and so forth. There is no point in having the system if you can't get the cd's to listen to. NONE of my cd's are surround-sound recorded so it's not a wise idea to convert my Z into a surround sound machine.

Z1.... yes, 2000 is my total cost budget. Includes HU, 4 speakers, 1 sub, 1 amp, and install. I hope it's enough to get me something decent. I was looking at JL Audio component speakers the other day, and I must say I've become quite interested in them.

Speaking of which.... do you guys have full range speakers or component? It seems like component is the way to go, if you want to maximize music pleasure. No? I was thinking about the Kenwood DDX514 as my HU. Is this thing sufficient enough? I was reading about it on the "official ddx512" thread (or whatever it was) and it seems like there are plenty of little bugs on it... so I'm kind of iffy even though the HU alone looks amazing. The HU is only 350. Suggestions, anyone?

I value everyone's input, including those who have been VERY serious about finding surround-sound in a Z pointless. Thank you, all!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:33 AM
06g35meister

Great thread guys, i would have to say i fit right in the priorities of you guys, but would like a SPL sub for a bit more show bass when needed/wanted. Sq is far and large the priority however.

Here is my starting list:

Heres where i started:
-JDM Bezel (of course)
-Kenwood Excelon DDX814 or DNX-9140, MUST have 13 band EQ (alternatives?)
-JL: Either 900/5HD OR 450/4v2 and 500/1v2 amps(opinions on the tradeoffs?)
-JL ZR650Csi front components
-JL C2-650x or TR650-Cxi coax rears (will i need these for fill, will the TR's do the job or should i step up to the C2's? assuming no need for coax)
-Single JL 12W7 in custom box
-Tons of matting
-Cables, wiring (0, 2, or 4 gauge?),etc

OK, so now on to the questions i have.

REARS/FILL: What is your opinion of "Fill" or adding rear speakers to the system, if tuned properly, will a G35c need the rear fill, or should the fronts take care of me. I'm looking for a purely SQ system that will be loud enough to show, but not compete. I want it to be loud, but without sacrificing quality. The rear deck is 6x9 and thats where i will be throwing the speakers in, theres no real room for large aftermarket speakers in the rear panels. (1.5" depth and .5" cover)

HEAD UNIT: What are your opinions of DD head units vs Carputers. I'm very technical and am posting on a custom built i7 that was easy for me to throw together. I know i can throw together the computer and wire it up, but as far as reliability, what are your opinions overall of the applications?

EQULIZATION: Talk to me about EQ range settings, i know the DDX814 has 13 EQ bands, is there such thing as an "infinite" EQ band setup on a computer where it is just a line that each point can be manipulated? This would seem to make the carputer worth the trouble to get the best sq possible.

AMPS: I would love to find an all in one amp to cover the spectrum of the setup, preferably 125-150/4 and 500-750/1. Recommendations for HIGH SQ amps, ive looked at ARC, JL, Sunshine (european, available in america?), DLS, etc, and none seem to stand out for me. OR will i get better reliability/SQ out of individual amps for the components and sub.

Post up any questions you may have for me, i know i am new to the site but hopefully i gave enough information for what i would like from the finished product. I thank each and every one of you for your responses and answers to my questions.

Im sure ill have more, so ill update this post as i think of them.

Budget is 3k (everything installed on my own) or 2k (installed for me, installation is 1k) still havent decided whether i wanna take apart my car myself or have someone else do it for me.

And heres the new list updated based on weeks of research:

MB Quart PAB 4100 $300 - Nice look and appropriate watts for setup
http://www.woofersetc.com/p5652/PAB-...-Amplifier.htm

MB Quart PAB 1200.1D $300 - Matches 4100 and looks good, quality seems there as well. Not sure 600 will be enough for the IDmax though (600 RMS @ 4ohms, sub rated at 1000, or can i run it at 1ohm and get the 1200RMS, turned down of course?)
http://www.woofersetc.com/p5654/PAB-...-Amplifier.htm

UP6i - DLS Ultimate 6.5" 2-Way Component System - Wattage seems reasonable and price is great, rated some of the best out there in MULTIPLE places (ex: http://www.bestcovery.com/dls-up6i-2...mponent-system)
http://www.woofersetc.com/p7162/UP6i...ent-System.htm

IDMAX12-D2 - Image Dynamics 12" 1800 Watt Subwoofer $450 - Will this thing still pound when I turn it up??? I am siding toward an SQL sub to show off at shows and meets.
http://www.woofersetc.com/p2031/IDMA...-Subwoofer.htm

0/1 Wiring kit, DDX814, and JDM bezel have been ordered along with steering wheel control adapter, sound deadening (got 30 ft^2 for starters), and 0 to 4 gauge X 2 plate.

Last question, where can i put a center channel in the G, whered do the 350z guys do it?

Last edited by 06g35meister; 11-18-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:52 AM
MikeBit

Haha... ok Z1, remember how I said I utterly suck with understanding electronics? 06g35meister's post is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. w...t.....f.... does all that mean?! LOL

06g35meister, it sounds like you have a lot of stuff in mind..... and you're managing to squeeze all of it with 3k? 2k if you get someone to install it for you? Damn. I need to educate myself

You speak of matting... exactly where would you place these matts? I guess they're supposed to absorb the extra kicks in the sub/speakers to reduce "bass rattle"?

*EDIT* I just took a look at the Pioneer AVH-P4100. That thing looks sweet!!! I might be able to squeeze that one in. Looks a lot better than the Kenwood DDX514 thats for sure.

Last edited by MikeBit; 11-18-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:10 PM
06g35meister

Haha... ok Z1, remember how I said I utterly suck with understanding electronics? 06g35meister's post is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. w...t.....f.... does all that mean?! LOL

06g35meister, it sounds like you have a lot of stuff in mind..... and you're managing to squeeze all of it with 3k? 2k if you get someone to install it for you? Damn. I need to educate myself

You speak of matting... exactly where would you place these matts? I guess they're supposed to absorb the extra kicks in the sub/speakers to reduce "bass rattle"?

*EDIT* I just took a look at the Pioneer AVH-P4100. That thing looks sweet!!! I might be able to squeeze that one in. Looks a lot better than the Kenwood DDX514 thats for sure.
Its ok, im an engineer and ive studied sound for years now, im really enjoying the classes, but it also makes it a hassle to get everything right the first time cause im so picky.

The MOST important component of a sound system is the head unit, and the most important component for the head unit is the equalization. The ones i have listed above are 13-band EQ's whereas most are 3,5, or 10 band EQ. The more EQ channels the better, the Kenwood Excelon series have everyone beat in double din units to my knowledge. Spend the extra money, get the right head unit, and dont go out for a few months and buy the rest. If you are doing for a SQ (sound quality) system, save, if all you want is show, then get an SPL system which is just loud. This is where any head unit will really be fine and money will go much further.

Speakers: From what ive heard, go with front components (tweeters and midwoofers) and amp them up to do an active system, and forget the rear fill or any of the like. With your budget, it would be hard to find rears that would add to the sound for the money you have left. JL, DLS, MRQuart, and a few others will outsound any sony or pioneer on the shelves at your local best buy.

Sub: I have a single alpine type R 10" now, and its nice and clean, but it still detracts from the music. An IDmax sub will ADD to the sound like a clean sub in a home will, without blaring the music and making the higher notes disappear.

Matting: Used for two reasons, to seal the doors, and to keep the car from rattling (out loud) and falling apart (literally). Ill let the professionals in this area do the talking (read here:http://www.dynamat.com/).

Sounds like you have a strong ambition for good sound like me, but have some research yet to do, dont buy just anything because its 7$$ vs 1$$$, i assure you you get what you pay for to a point.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, im about 2 weeks ahead of you on research, i was in your shoes, coming from no experience, and i feel like ive searched the entire internet looking for what you are looking for.

Still wondering where people put center channels on 5.1 setups...
Old 11-18-2009, 04:03 PM
06g35meister

PS research single din if you dont want nav and have that budget, theres nothing wrong with going single din and having a panel below for switches/cd storage/eq/whatever you want!

They will have the EQ stuff with no fancy screens and crap you dont want.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:23 PM
MikeBit

Originally Posted by 06g35meister
Its ok, im an engineer and ive studied sound for years now, im really enjoying the classes, but it also makes it a hassle to get everything right the first time cause im so picky.

The MOST important component of a sound system is the head unit, and the most important component for the head unit is the equalization. The ones i have listed above are 13-band EQ's whereas most are 3,5, or 10 band EQ. The more EQ channels the better, the Kenwood Excelon series have everyone beat in double din units to my knowledge. Spend the extra money, get the right head unit, and dont go out for a few months and buy the rest. If you are doing for a SQ (sound quality) system, save, if all you want is show, then get an SPL system which is just loud. This is where any head unit will really be fine and money will go much further.

Speakers: From what ive heard, go with front components (tweeters and midwoofers) and amp them up to do an active system, and forget the rear fill or any of the like. With your budget, it would be hard to find rears that would add to the sound for the money you have left. JL, DLS, MRQuart, and a few others will outsound any sony or pioneer on the shelves at your local best buy.

Sub: I have a single alpine type R 10" now, and its nice and clean, but it still detracts from the music. An IDmax sub will ADD to the sound like a clean sub in a home will, without blaring the music and making the higher notes disappear.

Matting: Used for two reasons, to seal the doors, and to keep the car from rattling (out loud) and falling apart (literally). Ill let the professionals in this area do the talking (read here:http://www.dynamat.com/).

Sounds like you have a strong ambition for good sound like me, but have some research yet to do, dont buy just anything because its 7$$ vs 1$$$, i assure you you get what you pay for to a point.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, im about 2 weeks ahead of you on research, i was in your shoes, coming from no experience, and i feel like ive searched the entire internet looking for what you are looking for.

Still wondering where people put center channels on 5.1 setups...
Hey man! You're a huge help. Thank you! And hell yes I want SQ. SQ, SQ, SQ. I'm not looking for loudness & bass. I know a 10" sub will do just fine. How come you didn't go with the IDmax sub if you knew it doesn't distract sound?

I know what you mean about the whole $$$ vs $$$$ research... ugh.... that's why I'm so frustrated. Like you, I want to get my stuff right the first time. As far as the HU goes, looks like I'm in another boat. It makes total sense that the more you can mess with the EQ, the better the HU. ahhhhh those exelon HU's cost over 1000. That's such a huge blow, lol.... but I'm so picky with sound. I want the best. Looks like I won't be able to upgrade anytime soon, I'll have to find a way. Unfortunately I'm unemployed right now and I'm TRYING to find a job but this economy is seriously . my school alone has gone through a 35 million dollar budget cut

Are you kidding me about those rears? So if I get good midwoofers and tweeters, I wouldn't need to change them? I would very much like to, for the sake of knowing I have better quality speakers all around. But thats great input! Did not know this.

Thanks a lot, man. Totally appreciate it. Oh, as far as the double din HU goes, I'd like to have one because it makes the car look so sweet. Tired of single din LOL. But I don't need navi and stuff, my phone is my navi! All those high end 1,000+ double dins have navi. I guess it'll just be that much more convenient once I get it.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:25 PM
06g35meister

Hey man! You're a huge help. Thank you! And hell yes I want SQ. SQ, SQ, SQ. I'm not looking for loudness & bass. I know a 10" sub will do just fine. How come you didn't go with the IDmax sub if you knew it doesn't distract sound?

I know what you mean about the whole $$$ vs $$$$ research... ugh.... that's why I'm so frustrated. Like you, I want to get my stuff right the first time. As far as the HU goes, looks like I'm in another boat. It makes total sense that the more you can mess with the EQ, the better the HU. ahhhhh those exelon HU's cost over 1000. That's such a huge blow, lol.... but I'm so picky with sound. I want the best. Looks like I won't be able to upgrade anytime soon, I'll have to find a way. Unfortunately I'm unemployed right now and I'm TRYING to find a job but this economy is seriously . my school alone has gone through a 35 million dollar budget cut

Are you kidding me about those rears? So if I get good midwoofers and tweeters, I wouldn't need to change them? I would very much like to, for the sake of knowing I have better quality speakers all around. But thats great input! Did not know this.

Thanks a lot, man. Totally appreciate it. Oh, as far as the double din HU goes, I'd like to have one because it makes the car look so sweet. Tired of single din LOL. But I don't need navi and stuff, my phone is my navi! All those high end 1,000+ double dins have navi. I guess it'll just be that much more convenient once I get it.
I chose the alpine 10" cause I wanted a sub and was on a STRICT budget of $400 for the entire install including building the box:

DDX814 can be had for 750 or so. You WANT the excelon HU's. Heres my thinking, if you are spending a dime upgrading, why not upgrade it ALL?

The rears will not be on anymore, they will just be there doing nothing.

Double din's are sweet, unfortunately they come at a price.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:56 PM
06g35meister

This thread died quickly...
Old 11-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Not quite dead yet.

…Last question, where can i put a center channel in the G, whered do the 350z guys do it?
…Still wondering where people put center channels on 5.1 setups...
By “center channels” do you mean speaker placement? If so, here is a way to do this (specific to the 350Z)…

My single-din Clarion H/U supports 5.1 by adding a component which uses a proprietary CeNET connector. Of course you need the single-din unit to allow the space where you place your center speaker. This wouldn’t fit the same in an Infiniti G35.

Not sure that is what you were asking.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 11-19-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:03 PM
MikeBit

Thread didn't die! I've been on campus all day. But you know, that's such a burnout that my rears will be doing nothing. Would the SQ seriously be awesome without them? that's why I was wondering about component speakers. Components in both front and rear....?

btw I absolutely love the color matching you've got going. I might pick that up and match mine too

speaking of building boxes... how much does that crap cost?! I was never told
Old 11-19-2009, 10:34 PM
06g35meister

Thread didn't die! I've been on campus all day. But you know, that's such a burnout that my rears will be doing nothing. Would the SQ seriously be awesome without them? that's why I was wondering about component speakers. Components in both front and rear....?

btw I absolutely love the color matching you've got going. I might pick that up and match mine too

speaking of building boxes... how much does that crap cost?! I was never told
IM actually going to get rid of the 10" setup in leu of a 12". I love the box, but i made it specifically for the type R (1.3 ft^3) SEALED. It cost about $100 to make, but i have about 30 hours in the box itself. Its solid as a rock. Id give it 10000 watts and it would stay together . First box ever too!
Old 11-20-2009, 05:00 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Haha! So you know exactly what I'm talking about! Isn't that sound just INSANELY ?!?! immerse was the perfect word to use!

Based off of what everyone is telling me, it seems like SS, even though I would absolutely love it, is not the choice to make. I can get a really good system without the hassle of needing surround sound recorded discs so on and so forth. There is no point in having the system if you can't get the cd's to listen to. NONE of my cd's are surround-sound recorded so it's not a wise idea to convert my Z into a surround sound machine.

Z1.... yes, 2000 is my total cost budget. Includes HU, 4 speakers, 1 sub, 1 amp, and install. I hope it's enough to get me something decent. I was looking at JL Audio component speakers the other day, and I must say I've become quite interested in them.

Speaking of which.... do you guys have full range speakers or component? It seems like component is the way to go, if you want to maximize music pleasure. No? I was thinking about the Kenwood DDX514 as my HU. Is this thing sufficient enough? I was reading about it on the "official ddx512" thread (or whatever it was) and it seems like there are plenty of little bugs on it... so I'm kind of iffy even though the HU alone looks amazing. The HU is only 350. Suggestions, anyone?

I value everyone's input, including those who have been VERY serious about finding surround-sound in a Z pointless. Thank you, all!
Admittedly, I would have to defer to someone else given the budget, as I just don't know the pieces that would fit your needs. I've never heard JL components. I have owned, and still own some JL stuff. I find them generally to be expensive relative to what you get. You might want to start looking in the private classifieds here and on places like diyaudio. You can pick up some really nice equipment that might be a few years old, but it is often far, far better than the cheaper stuff you can buy new. I think if you combine some well selected used stuff and combine it with new, you'll be at or close to your budget

You do not need rear speakers at all - they are a waste in a Z unless you have to have surround sound. Neither Kwame nor myself have them in our cars for example, and both are among the nicest sounding setups I've ever experienced in a Z.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to get surround sound....?