Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Any issues with Pioneer 4200DVD head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:11 AM
afwiggith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any issues with Pioneer 4200DVD head unit?

By searching, I've found a few people who liked this head unit, but not much more detail than that. I'm really thinking about getting one with my tax return next week, so has anybody had any issues or concerns with it?

If it helps at all, the rest of my system is the stock Bose crap. I'll be upgrading all of that over the summer, but I'd like a head unit that doesn't randomly skip songs on brand new CDs in the mean time.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:32 AM
oddjobbb

http://www.avic411.com/
the best site for pioneer related ????????'s
Old 04-07-2010, 10:41 AM
afwiggith

I got the PM from you on the other forum too, but for the most part that's about the AVIC line from Pioneer. I couldn't really find a lot about the AVH line.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:41 PM
NismoTreeFittyZ

From what I have seen, this unit has received great reviews. In the many years of owning pioneer hu's I haven't had any issues..for the most part, they are quality products. I am either going with the p4200dvd or the p3200dvd.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:29 PM
JMSpeed

I have one on order and should be at my door soon. Was planning on a review once it is in.

Check Amazon. The price is very low right now.

Last edited by JMSpeed; 04-07-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:44 PM
yomike007

I just installed it and love it. It plays divx files, so with the bypass mod, u can roll around and watch music videos while you drive. Install was a *****, it required lots of dremmeling on the metra dash kit.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:57 AM
JMSpeed

I'm picking up the American International dash kit because of all the negatives I heard about the Metra.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Iceman007

Glad to see a thread on this Pioneer model! I just got mine in the mail today, pretty excited! The extras I bought are the ipod connect cord that goes along with the HU and the metra kit.

Quick question tho. Does anyone else have the stock nav and if so will the voice assist still work?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:47 AM
afwiggith

Ordered the 4200 yesterday off of Amazon. 436 and some change got me the head unit, the metra kit, and the wiring harness. When I get and install them I'll put a review up in this thread. I can't wait til I get a package in the mail This is my first major purchase for the Z, so I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Zzman916

I also ordered this unit last week, also with the metra dash kit. Is it really a pain to get this unit to work with the metra dash kit? This makes me kind of nervous doing the install.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:32 PM
RetchedOne

I got mine for 419 shipped.
Just put it in 2 hours ago... with teh metra kit...

Install was easy.. but the metra kit needs some trimming.
The screen will not go back up unless i help it close all the way.
It tries to fold back up and has to push teh metra kit up, and it cant.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:27 PM
platinum350

Glad to see this too, been wanting to get this HU. Any pics of the install yet?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Iceman007

Originally Posted by platinum350
Glad to see this too, been wanting to get this HU. Any pics of the install yet?
I will be doing mine shortly just got the wiring harness needed in the mail today!
Old 04-15-2010, 01:40 PM
cpatel529

This looks like a nice Aftermarket HU to replace the Stock. Did anyone make or buy a cover that you can use to conceal the unit so that people walking by dont know whats in there?
Old 04-15-2010, 02:19 PM
platinum350

Originally Posted by Iceman007
I will be doing mine shortly just got the wiring harness needed in the mail today!
Sweet. I've been eyeing up the 4100 till I saw this one, couple weeks ago. Keep us posted!
Old 04-16-2010, 04:45 PM
afwiggith

Just installed it today. Don't have pics cause I don't have a camera, but it looks like it came stock. Had one issue, but I don't know if it's related to the head unit or not, but I'll get to that. I didn't run the wire to the parking brake because I'll be doing the bypass as soon as I figure out how to do it, so figured I didn't really want to wire something when I'm going to be redoing it anyway.

I used the Metra dash kit and didn't have the same problem other people had. (IE, the moving screen hits the trim piece) I can see where it comes from though: there's 2 tabs on each side that are supposed to go to the mounting bracket, and I bet those are what cause the problem. If you cut them off, the unit stays in place, the trim piece doesn't rattle around, the screen can move without hitting anything, and it still looks good

Now for my issue...every time I start my car now, unless I hit the gas she dies right away. When I keep her running and let off the gas, it'll drop to about 400 RPM and then stabilize where it normally is. My theory is the battery was unhooked for long enough during the install that the ECU needs to relearn about the CAI and plenum spacer and that the problem will go away in about a day. At least I hope so

And my review of the 4200: IT'S AWESOME!!!! Sounds quality is great (well, as great as the stock speakers will allow), it looks really good in the dash, a lot of customizing possible with EQ settings and colors, and just adds a cool factor to the whole car.

Any questions, just ask
Old 04-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by afwiggith
Any questions, just ask
Nice!
Old 04-17-2010, 05:30 PM
oddjobbb

Originally Posted by afwiggith
Just installed it today. Don't have pics cause I don't have a camera, but it looks like it came stock. Had one issue, but I don't know if it's related to the head unit or not, but I'll get to that. I didn't run the wire to the parking brake because I'll be doing the bypass as soon as I figure out how to do it, so figured I didn't really want to wire something when I'm going to be redoing it anyway.

I used the Metra dash kit and didn't have the same problem other people had. (IE, the moving screen hits the trim piece) I can see where it comes from though: there's 2 tabs on each side that are supposed to go to the mounting bracket, and I bet those are what cause the problem. If you cut them off, the unit stays in place, the trim piece doesn't rattle around, the screen can move without hitting anything, and it still looks good

Now for my issue...every time I start my car now, unless I hit the gas she dies right away. When I keep her running and let off the gas, it'll drop to about 400 RPM and then stabilize where it normally is. My theory is the battery was unhooked for long enough during the install that the ECU needs to relearn about the CAI and plenum spacer and that the problem will go away in about a day. At least I hope so

And my review of the 4200: IT'S AWESOME!!!! Sounds quality is great (well, as great as the stock speakers will allow), it looks really good in the dash, a lot of customizing possible with EQ settings and colors, and just adds a cool factor to the whole car.

Any questions, just ask
awsome man wish you would of called i would of helped
hope ypur coming to Woodhouse tomorrow for our first meet of the year.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Zzman916

Can someone please post some pics of where you dremeled the metra kit in order to get the unit to open and close correctly?
Old 04-19-2010, 10:54 AM
afwiggith

I didn't dremel the kit at all and mine opens and closes fine. However, after posting my review of the head unit I noticed that the trim isn't flush with the dash kit. I'm ordering another Metra kit and will dremel that one so it fits flush and still opens and closes, so I'm interested in these pics too. Once I get the new kit and it's all installed, I'll get with oddjobbb to post some pics up.

EDIT: Also, anybody have an idea on how to do the parking brake bypass? I'd like it to be a constant thing, not have to flip the switch and all that.

Last edited by afwiggith; 04-19-2010 at 10:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Any issues with Pioneer 4200DVD head unit?