Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Please critique my stereo design

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 02:08 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Please critique my stereo design

Ok, I have had all I can take of the Blose stereo. I finally realize that NO amount of fiddling with the controls can make it stop sucking.

So... I am thinking about what I am going to put in. I am still in the formative stages so I am seeking input from you guys.

Please be kind.

The Car: 2004 350Z Touring Roadster w/ Blose stereo

The Goal: I want good clean sound with solid lows and clear highs. I do NOT need a ton of power. I just don't listen to music all that loud anymore (I must be getting old). But it IS a convertible, so I know I need decent power.

I would like to do the work myself. I know I will be more carefull than someone doing it day-in day-out. I have done car stereos several times before, but the last one was like 10 years ago and the equipment has really evolved alot since then.

Question 1: Can I re-use the factory wires going to the speakers ?(particularly the door speakers). I sure would hate to run new wires to the door.

It seems to me that since the stock stereo is low impedance that it is also high current to achieve the claimed 240 watts. That leads me to believe the wires are not TOO thin. When I go to normal speakers with higher impedances I should be pushing more voltage but LESS current to achieve the same power.

Question 2: How much power do I really need? The stock Bose goes louder than I need so let that be your guide.

Question 3: (related to #2) can I get away with no external amp if I use a good head unit? (remember I don;t need to shake the neighborhood)

So far here is what I am thinking:
Head unit in the 22-26 watts RMS X 4 range (alpine / kenwood)
BassLink 200 watts in stock location
Front speakers: Infinity Kappa 63.5i
Rear speakers: Infinity reference 6002i (?)
Tweeters: some not-too-expensive domes

These are just starting points. I am open to suggestions.

Last edited by AndyB; 11-02-2003 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:28 PM
toykilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the front get infinity kappa components.. not separate speakers and tweeters.. otherwise i think everything looks good
Old 11-02-2003, 04:39 PM
jikman01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AndyB -

See my setup from my signature. I'm going off the HU power 26watts RMS I believe for my Kappas and then there's the Basslink w/ its built in amp. For me it sounds great. Clear crisp highs and mids and solid deep bass. It's no competition system, but it does sound very good IMO.
Old 11-02-2003, 05:42 PM
AndyB

Default I'll have to turn sigs back on

I guess I need to turn signature back on.

I usually leave them off because they just fill the screen with the same old pics over and over.
Old 11-02-2003, 05:45 PM
AndyB

Originally posted by jikman01
AndyB -

See my setup from my signature. I'm going off the HU power 26watts RMS I believe for my Kappas and then there's the Basslink w/ its built in amp. For me it sounds great. Clear crisp highs and mids and solid deep bass. It's no competition system, but it does sound very good IMO.
I can't find an Alpine 9183. Is that supposed to be a 9813?