Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

alpine spr comp VS mb quart pvi216 comp

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 06:21 AM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spike, in regards to above comment, I figured you would have moved your tweeters lower not higher. A pillar is even higher than stock location for tweeters. I thought you were trying to say that further away from our ears is better and by moving them lower i.e. kick panels, they would sound better. Is that not the case? Please advise.
Thanks.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
Spike, in regards to above comment, I figured you would have moved your tweeters lower not higher. A pillar is even higher than stock location for tweeters. I thought you were trying to say that further away from our ears is better and by moving them lower i.e. kick panels, they would sound better. Is that not the case? Please advise.
Thanks.
Lower or higher doesn't make much difference. It's "front staging" that is important.

Tweeters deliver high frequency and thus very directional sound. The best place for your tweeters is in a kick-mount. That way the directional sound comes from the front, is more easily staged, and sounds best. Mounting the tweeter as far forward as possible in the door panel is about as good since this also provides a “front-sound” effect.

The Sail Panel mount is difficult since it blasts the directional high frequency sound directly at the driver side and passenger side, and this mount is almost impossible to stage properly.

I went with a different approach, mounting the tweeters in the A-Pillar. To solve the staging problem (you want the directional sound coming from the front), I pointed the tweeters towards the front windscreen so that the sound bounces from there and back to the listeners (sitting in the driver and passenger seat. My goal was to deliver the sound from the front but still maintain distinct right and left channels.

This is a picture of my A-Pillar mount, and a schematic showing the “bounce-concept.”

It works very well. The tweeters sound as though they are front-staged, and the left/right sound is apparent to both the driver and the passenger.

--Spike
Old 07-30-2010, 06:52 PM
rrmedicx

How do you feel about directional tweeters that can be aimed towards the driver and passenger which is slightly different from the sail mounts.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:50 AM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Any feature allowing the installer to aim tweeters is probably a good thing.

--Spike
Old 08-02-2010, 02:59 PM
rrmedicx

So where did you mount your crossovers? kick panel? or in the door?